Udon to Pattaya

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ajsp9
udonmap.com

Udon to Pattaya

Post by ajsp9 » March 30, 2022, 6:24 am

Travelling next week so looking to break up the 9 hour journey with a mid way stop / any suggestions?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Udon to Pattaya

Post by stattointhailand » March 30, 2022, 7:47 am

Looking for somewhere for a snack break or a main meal or what? Difficult for anyone to suggest somewhere without a few more details ....... Farang food/Thai food/ coffee ?????

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 30, 2022, 11:15 am

ajsp9 wrote:
March 30, 2022, 6:24 am
Travelling next week so looking to break up the 9 hour journey with a mid way stop / any suggestions?
Nakon Ratchasima is about Midway & Plenty of Hotels,Food Establishments etc.etc.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 30, 2022, 12:12 pm

Korat. Hotels, restaurants.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 30, 2022, 12:36 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 30, 2022, 7:47 am
Looking for somewhere for a snack break or a main meal or what? Difficult for anyone to suggest somewhere without a few more details ....... Farang food/Thai food/ coffee ?????
An overnight stop so something to do in the afternoon have a mooch then head down for leg two first thing in the morning after a nights Kip. Don’t enjoy 9 hour drives in one hit

Korat seems sensible as half way ish

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 30, 2022, 1:53 pm

If thats the case then probably somewhere near Pak Thong Chai? (about 4 hrs from Udon at steady pace)
Got the zoo, the silk centre and a couple of prasats close by or even the dam or National Park

Not stayed there, but this place looks like it could be a good overnight option ....
https://www.agoda.com/bosswin-home-reso ... 79aa64f765

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 30, 2022, 2:59 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 30, 2022, 1:53 pm
If thats the case then probably somewhere near Pak Thong Chai? (about 4 hrs from Udon at steady pace)
Got the zoo, the silk centre and a couple of prasats close by or even the dam or National Park

Not stayed there, but this place looks like it could be a good overnight option ....
https://www.agoda.com/bosswin-home-reso ... 79aa64f765
Cheers that's a good shout

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 31, 2022, 7:02 am

If I'm doing it in two hops I stop at Korat, Leosor Hotel, just up the road is the Monkey Bar, cold beer and good food.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 31, 2022, 6:28 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 31, 2022, 7:02 am
If I'm doing it in two hops I stop at Korat, Leosor Hotel, just up the road is the Monkey Bar, cold beer and good food.
Cheers - jurys out now on whether to leave at 0600 and drive through with pee stops etc or stay the night somewhere........I think this is referred to as First World Problems

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 31, 2022, 6:43 pm

I used to drive Udon/Samui in one hit many years ago, but since the increase in traffic and roadworks I now tend to overnight at somewhere like Cha Am. Can't say that i've ever even considered breaking the Udon/Patters run. Best to leave at about 11pm and arrive for early breakfast ....... if Mrs & kids in tow they soon nod off and you can drive as you please ........ day time drive means they are awake and tends to require numerous pee pee and food consumption stops which add considerably to journey time. One thing that always wound me up was stopping at PTT station for toilet, but only one wants to go, that is until you see the sign for the next PTT station 25km later, when the other one wants the toilet ....... I mean how do you go from not wanting to go, to desperate in 20 mins? :evil:

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » March 31, 2022, 7:04 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 31, 2022, 6:43 pm
I used to drive Udon/Samui in one hit many years ago, but since the increase in traffic and roadworks I now tend to overnight at somewhere like Cha Am. Can't say that i've ever even considered breaking the Udon/Patters run. Best to leave at about 11pm and arrive for early breakfast ....... if Mrs & kids in tow they soon nod off and you can drive as you please ........ day time drive means they are awake and tends to require numerous pee pee and food consumption stops which add considerably to journey time. One thing that always wound me up was stopping at PTT station for toilet, but only one wants to go, that is until you see the sign for the next PTT station 25km later, when the other one wants the toilet ....... I mean how do you go from not wanting to go, to desperate in 20 mins? :evil:
Good shout although I'm no fan of overnight driving long distances especially on Thai Roads. If we do decide to do it in one hit it may pay to leave even earlier at around 0500 so at least we get there mid afternoon which is doable. That way they can have a snooze until we get to Korat ish area

Agree with you on the pee stops etc and its entirely consistent with my own experience. My mate says that's exactly why wide girth 2 litre lenor bottles were produced so he can pee into there and carry on driving.......not sure it works with the Mrs.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » April 1, 2022, 6:38 am

dont forget to add the 500 baht fine you get each way for " speeding " i just look at it as a road toll and not bother , lucky there are " no points " involved like the U.K . the Mrs always gets a shock about 6 weeks after we get back when the fine hits the door mat ....555

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 1, 2022, 8:43 am

I used to prefer the overnight drive to the south. Less traffic, known locations for police checks and yes, the family mostly sleeps so one can coordinate the one-stop piss break around Korat or Pak Thong Chai.

Now there's more traffic lights and road works, the drive is an hour or two longer than it used to be, even overnight.

If I was breaking a trip half-way, maybe depart Udon after brunch so that one gets to the "way station" around 4 pm. I read that the peak hours for road accidents are between 5 pm and 8 pm. Then up early, decent breakfast, check-out and take in whatever local attractions there are before getting back on the road by mid-day so one gets to their final destination again before the pre-dusk danger hours.

Or fly to BKK and rent a car.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Travel & Transport”