Thai Airways Open For International Business Again

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Airways Open For International Business Again

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2021, 1:13 pm

Just received an email flyer from Thai, as per the above.
Thai Air.PNG
More details here: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/index ... ce=insider

Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Airways Open For International Business Again

Post by Niggly » September 1, 2021, 2:40 pm

I wonder if they’ll get round to processing refunds for cancelled flights from 18 months ago when some money starts coming in
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 1, 2021, 7:51 pm

Awesome. Timed perfectly to reap the maximum benefit from Thailand's recent elevation to the Covid red lists.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » September 2, 2021, 12:23 pm

tamada wrote:
September 1, 2021, 7:51 pm
Awesome. Timed perfectly to reap the maximum benefit from Thailand's recent elevation to the Covid red lists.
That was my first thoughts.

Still have a voucher ( potentially worthless who knows) from Thai Air booking July 2020, so let’s see. Back up is refund from credit card co.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 9, 2021, 12:48 pm

Thai Airways promoting a "Flash Sale" for those who may be interested.

Fares (return) to Europe start at THB20,645, up to THB25,005 (London).

Book today only, for departures from mid-December, with maximum 1 month stay. Unlimited flight changes with no fees.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/offer ... ce=insider

For information only.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 18, 2021, 5:25 pm

For me, they’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel now looking for scapegoats to cover the complete management incompetence of this company

Thaksin linked to THAI's losses
Bangkok Post
18/09/2021

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has launched a probe into ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's decision to approve Thai Airways International Plc's (THAI) plan to purchase Airbus aircraft worth more than 53 billion baht years ago.
The move by the fugitive former prime minister allegedly led to huge losses.
Niwatchai Kasemmongkol, deputy secretary-general of the NACC, said the commission has set up a nine-member panel to look into allegations that Thaksin approved the purchase of multiple Airbus A340-500 and A340-600 aircraft between 2002 and 2004. He said the decision plunged the airline into debt.
Apart from Thaksin, there are four other people suspected of being involved in the decision, Mr Niwatchai said.
The other four are Industry Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkij, who served as transport minister at the time; former deputy transport minister Phichet Sathirachawal; former THAI board chairman Thanong Bidaya and former THAI president Kanok Abhiradee, according to an Isra News Agency report.
Between 2002 and 2004, Thaksin's cabinet approved THAI's plan to purchase 10 A340-500 and A340-600 aircraft worth about 53.5 billion baht. The purchase plan was submitted by Mr Suriya at the time.
The purchase of A340-500 aircraft was also mentioned in report by a fact-finding panel set up on Aug 28 by the Transport Ministry to look into alleged corruption in THAI. Pol Lt Gen Charnthep Sesawet was assigned as head of the panel.
The report pointed out that THAI's financial losses were the result of the purchase of the 10 aircraft, which was carried out under a procurement plan between 2003 and 2004.
According to the report, the aircraft were in service between July 2005 and Jan 7, 2013, on 51 routes, including Bangkok-New York and Bangkok-Los Angeles. But THAI ended up suffering 39.8 billion baht in losses on all the routes, it said.
In particular, flights on the Bangkok-New York and Bangkok-Los Angeles routes recorded losses of more than 12.4 billion baht as Airbus A340-500s and A340-600s are meant for long-haul flights, the report said, noting the airplanes consumed huge amounts of fuel but did not have many seats.
Moreover, the aircraft were in use for only six to 10 years, lower than the general threshold of 20 years of service, and this was not cost-effective, according to the report.
The aircraft in question are now decommissioned, and waiting to be sold but THAI also suffered an impairment loss of more than 22.9 billion baht, it said.
Thaksin faced several other legal wrangles, including charges over the Ratchadaphisek land purchase case. On Oct 21, 2008, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced him in absentia to two years in jail, convicting him of violating the National Counter-Corruption Act.
The move to probe Thaksin's airplane purchases comes amid his criticism of the current government via the Clubhouse app under the alias of Tony Woodsome. He has taken aim at the Prayut Chan-o-cha government over several issues, including the handling of the Covid-19 crisis and the economic problems caused by the pandemic.
On Wednesday, Thaksin appeared on Clubhouse again, discussing a topic on Thai politics and the future of young Thais.
At one point, he said the government should sit down for talks with young people, adding that use of violence against protesters will not help.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 18, 2021, 6:55 pm

Given the financial status of the company, it seems like paying for a ticket in advance (is there another way?) is like most any other loan to a Thai. If you get your money back, consider yourself lucky.
Back in those days, a lot of airlines were caught up in the long-distance non-stop flight. My wife and I flew 17+hrs on Thai Air from Bangkok to NY....then back........everything about the flight was excellent.....cut off at least 4 hours from our normal travel time and the service was top notch. But before long, I guess the airlines found out that things were working out financially as planned. It seems a bit of a stretch to be pinning the blame on the PM for that.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 18, 2021, 7:05 pm

^ I’m still waiting for anything from them for the cancelled flight in March 2020 (paid in full January 2020)

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » September 18, 2021, 10:51 pm

You can get a return ticket in December for 17,302 with Ethiad.
Many others around between 20-23,000 Baht.
Myself....I would not go any where near Thai airways unless you are happy to loose your money..!!!
It's only a matter of time when all is pear shaped again for this corrupt airline.
YKICAMOOCOW

thegrogmonster

Post by thegrogmonster » September 19, 2021, 5:00 am

Niggly wrote:
September 18, 2021, 7:05 pm
^ I’m still waiting for anything from them for the cancelled flight in March 2020 (paid in full January 2020)
Yes we are still waiting ourselves for a refund from March 2020.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 19, 2021, 2:53 pm

thegrogmonster wrote:
September 19, 2021, 5:00 am
Niggly wrote:
September 18, 2021, 7:05 pm
Yes we are still waiting ourselves for a refund from March 2020.
I don’t expect to get anything. The frustrating thing for me is they are just ignoring all means of correspondence. Maybe it’s this Thai face thing, ignore everything so they can pretend it didn’t really happen & it’ll all go away. No more pesky customers wanting money back for flights that didn’t take place.
No other airlines I had flights cancelled with are just sweeping the matter under the carpet. I still haven’t got all the refunds but at least I’m still in dialogue. (Probably still being unofficially ignored but it makes me feel a bit happier)

Return to “Travel & Transport”