Motorbike Licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Motorbike Licence

Post by Chriss » February 14, 2021, 2:55 pm

Not sure this has be asked before didnt find anything recent in a search.

I need to get a motorbike licence, not for a big bike, my driving licence from the UK has motorbike coverage up to 125cc I think. I've been told I wont be required to do the written or driving tests and merely need to take the relevant documents and bingo I'll get a Thai bike licence. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I do have a 5 year Thai car licence.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Motorbike Licence

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 16, 2021, 8:20 am

Chriss wrote:
February 14, 2021, 2:55 pm
Not sure this has be asked before didnt find anything recent in a search.

I need to get a motorbike licence, not for a big bike, my driving licence from the UK has motorbike coverage up to 125cc I think. I've been told I wont be required to do the written or driving tests and merely need to take the relevant documents and bingo I'll get a Thai bike licence. Does anyone know if this is correct?
I do have a 5 year Thai car licence.
With an IDP that was true for me, but my U.K. license did not have a size limit. The Thai motorcycle licence does not currently have any size limit, so your U.K. licence is NOT equivalent to a Thai one.

I don’t know if anyone has tried to do what you want, so the real answer is go to the main office south of Udon and try.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 16, 2021, 9:56 am

Same here, showed an IDP with my UK license & was given a 2 year Thai license. No test or anything.

However, this was 2 years ago in March so might not be applicable now, sorry. I guess there’s nothing to lose going into the office & asking
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » February 16, 2021, 2:53 pm

I got my motor-cy licence and car licence at the same time. I had to watch a 45 minute video and do a classroom test where you sit in a simulator and have to break when you see a red light.

However I'd assumed this was because I was getting the car licence and would not be needed for a motorcy licence????

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 16, 2021, 6:05 pm

deankham wrote:
February 16, 2021, 2:53 pm
I got my motor-cy licence and car licence at the same time. I had to watch a 45 minute video and do a classroom test where you sit in a simulator and have to break when you see a red light.

However I'd assumed this was because I was getting the car licence and would not be needed for a motorcy licence????
Exactly the same, car or bike.

The problem is that having got the car one and not the bike, also that the bike licence he has is got a tiddler and there is no Thai equivalent, makes the OPs case unusual. One has to just hope that the normal Thai reaction to unusual (which is NO) doesn’t happen.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 17, 2021, 6:56 am

My UK driving licence has 3 bike categories, I just found the UK government webpage with code descriptions.

Category A

With a catgory A, you can drive motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg.

I have a category A restriction code 79(03), restricted to tricycles.

Category A1
With a category A1, you can drive light motorbikes with an engine size up to 125cc, a power output of up to 11kW and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg. This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category AM

This driving licence category means you can drive two or three wheeled motors with a maximum design speed between 15.5mph and 28mph. But, you’ll need to pass a compulsory basic training test (CBT) as well.
This classification also includes quad bikes that have a maximum design speed of between 15.5mph and 28mph, weighing no more than 350kg.

I guess a trip to the government licence office is due, think they need a satellite office this side of the city.....Thanks for your replies.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 17, 2021, 7:57 am

The main office south of Udon is the best one to go to. Smaller offices may well refuse when the aim office will accept, I have personal experience of being refused by a smaller office then tater the same day with precisely the same documents having no problem in the main office, in fact having the head of the office taking the application. So even if there were a satellite office it may well not be any help.

Return to “Travel & Transport”