The other side of coming back to Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Doodoo
udonmap.com

The other side of coming back to Thailand

Post by Doodoo » August 6, 2020, 2:07 pm

A mate of mine overseas with a Marriage Visa trying to get back
One of the problems to anticipatate

"I have been on the phone for the past "almost" 4 hours going thru the list of the 24 Alternative State Quarantine Hotels they have in Bangkok and the flight from here gets in on the 23rd, 22 of the hotels are fully booked until the 29th. The 2 that have rooms available are 75,000 and 90,000 baht and you have to pay in full in advance and if I don't get a CoE or I can't get on the flight there are no cancellations and no refunds.....I forfeit the money. What a fakin' scam. It really ain't looking so good."

So it looks like pay me now or later or later and then later

Who needs tourists for Hotels when you have this to jump through just to come home

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: The other side of coming back to Thailand

Post by maaka » August 6, 2020, 2:54 pm

then there is the health insurance on top of that, and the visa money in the bank..
its the same with me trying to head back downunder, no flights till september, and then you have to book a isolation hotel and somehow line up this date with your flight, and then the hotel room is 60,000bt for 14 days, and thats every trip twice/ thrice a year...

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 6, 2020, 3:45 pm

There was some poor devil on a FB site that I've joined to keep me up to speed, whose only option for ASQ for her, husband and 2 kids was a THB 300,000 room. She was a Thai national so was looking at state quarantine alone to reduce costs.

My g/f is coming back on repatriation flight on Sunday. Shes dreading it,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 3:55 pm

I think the experience varies from country to country and Thai Embassy to Thai Embassy (RTE). Looking at two repatriation threads on TV forum, the guy who was in Belgium and returned via Amsterdam had a real nightmare coordinating it all whereas the guy in the UK who returned via Frankfurt, although a bit challenging, had an easier time of it. The RTE in Belgium didn't assist much at all whereas the RTE in London handled the air booking as that apparently has to be done by the Thai government and not by the individual traveler booking direct with the airline. I read on TV that the RTE in Paris hasn't picked up their phone since April and a friend advises that the RTE in Ottawa swears blind that the MFA hasn't given them ANY instructions on how to process foreigners wishing to return.

Thai repatriation is in full swing now and with the numbers of foreigners returning also increasing, it's not hard to expect that the cheaper ASQ's have all been snapped up. It may be better to hold off and see what CAAT decides to do at the end of this month regarding opening up to more commercial flights.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 6, 2020, 3:57 pm

Another bit of info.

We were told 2 days ago that she was flying this coming Sunday and needed various documents sorting.

Amongst these was a fit to fly document. There are doctors online who could provide but would necessitate a longish trip, a large fee and a timescale issue.

I asked my GP. No can do. She isn't registered which was understandable. We were only supposed to be in the UK for 3 weeks and had no intention of burdening the NHS so never thought about it before.

Rang NHS direct. They said "your GP can do" ..... Doh!!

As an alternative they suggested walk in centre at local hospital. Went there, only to be told "your GP can register as a temporary patient and do it" ......Doh again!

Called my GP and begged. "Sorry no can do". I asked them to verify one last time mentioning that I know my local MP.

They called back to say that they had found a doctor who would agree to it and would do for a special price of £95 (reduced from £165). Now just a £695 one way flight to pay for (still not had confirmation of the flight from Thai Air) and a drive to Heathrow and back on Sunday.

Good times!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 6, 2020, 4:51 pm

^ Bloody highwaymen! Good luck mate and hope it all works out.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 7, 2020, 7:06 am

Seems getting back has turned into a nightmare .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 7, 2020, 7:16 am

according to news I have been following re Thai Airways, they say they probably wont be flying again until December..

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 7, 2020, 8:20 am

Maaka
Thanks for the news Do you have a link It is always helpfull so others can read

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 7, 2020, 9:16 am

hardly seems worth it . i sure hope those guys stuck overseas have someone to check on their
houses& stuff. it's gonna be a long , long wait

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 7, 2020, 9:22 am

From Europe, there are other carriers, notably Qatar, Lufthansa, Air France, Oman Air, Finnair and KLM. Flying Thai isn't the only way to get back here. Coming across the Pacific seems more challenging with maybe ANA and China Airlines being a couple of options?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 7, 2020, 9:49 am

Waiting to see what happens when the amnesty runs out here , being a Brit there are very few flights back to the UK , but Brits must keep in mind we do have EU passports . so immo will be telling Brits to go anywhere in Europe.
I can't see world travel being easy for a long time to come . the few friends that have gone back to the UK have told me 18 months to two years before they think they will make it back. Only time will tell,we don't know where this is all going .
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 7, 2020, 10:02 am

^ All of those 6 mid-east and European carriers have onward connections to the UK. KLM's daily flight via Amsterdam is the best option as their CityHopper still serves at least 5 onward UK destinations with at least 2 or 3 flights daily. Even London City Airport has reopened. Mate of mine booked a flight on Monday, flew out the following Monday and was home via Amsterdam and Aberdeen on Tuesday. He's been sending me pictures of meat pies!

The key will be what CAAT allows in their next announcement regarding opening up for more regular commercial flights. As you say, getting back into Thailand will still need patience and money but leaving here may be even easier.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 7, 2020, 1:19 pm

maaka wrote:according to news I have been following re Thai Airways, they say they probably wont be flying again until December..
Maaka can I assume you have to fly direct to kiwiland? Or can you transit internally in Australia.
That’s if there are any flights Aussie to NZ.
There are 5 flights BKK to Sydney with Thai Air this month. Well 3 to go now. Strict conditions apply.
I think only kiwis passports can fly only if normally residing in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 7, 2020, 3:11 pm

Barney, I have been all around the pigs arse on this jetting home stuff. My family is in Melbournestan and in strife, but I wont be heading that way till Xmas / New Year, got to get back to NZ within a certain time frame or I have to repay my pension for the full year..
Is Thai air same as Thai Airways, as I have a cancelled ticket with them, but have been told they were starting in september, but I was reading the BKKPost and some high ranking Thai Air official was saying it looks like december now,,but please check anyone, as there is alot of confusing news out there..
Barney I was going to go Aotearoa via HK, but covid has reared its head there again, so managed to book a Singapore Air transit thru Singers and onto AirNZ..How I get a iso;lation hotel is beyond me..AirNz would not confirm booking until they had that arranged..so its still a mystery to me...

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 7, 2020, 3:14 pm

the one way ticket was the price of two return tickets six months ago, and it was the cheapest...there are some mad prices out there

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 7, 2020, 7:36 pm

Aussie mate of mine in Phuket got bounced from his first attempt to go home via HKG on CX but should be leaving same route via BKK this Sunday. He's thrown the towel in on Thailand and on a o/w ticket.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 8, 2020, 2:54 pm

I'm getting told it's time to return to work in Kazakhstan, will be interesting to see what happens. I know it's PCR test here first negative result then jump on planes to God knows where and finally arrive in Kazakhstan PCR test on arrival and 7 days isolation before allowed to travel to the project site. Interesting times ahead the return journey might to more difficult then the outward leg only time will tell pity was enjoying working remotely from home

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 8, 2020, 8:27 pm

dunroaming wrote:
August 8, 2020, 2:54 pm
I'm getting told it's time to return to work in Kazakhstan, will be interesting to see what happens. I know it's PCR test here first negative result then jump on planes to God knows where and finally arrive in Kazakhstan PCR test on arrival and 7 days isolation before allowed to travel to the project site. Interesting times ahead the return journey might to more difficult then the outward leg only time will tell pity was enjoying working remotely from home
Aye gonna miss Deans Roast Beef and cheap golf.

Return to “Travel & Transport”