air asia and children

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
dragonz
udonmap.com

air asia and children

Post by dragonz » November 4, 2019, 3:32 pm

Hi just a warning for people flying domestic with this airline . I booked a flight from udon to pattay months in advance for 0ct22 for my wife and 2 grandchildren 10 and 3 yrs . The 10 yr old had flown lots of times no problem with his birth cert but this time he had an id card . I had a birth cert for the 3yr old . When i got the certificate from the amphoe office i got 4 copies . the laminated 1 but i said not to do the others as i could use them for the flight .
They would not let my 3 yr old on the flight !!Said i needed the original one ? I tried to explain there are no oiriginal ones as they are just printed off a printer in the office but no they wanted the laminated one . I had to let my wife and son fly and me and the little one had to catch a train to bangkok , then ekamai to ban phe then a taxi . What a nightmare trip 24 hours.I asked for a flight the next day they said 9,000 baht but when on the train i checked the flights they were 1,700 baht each . |
The supervisor highlighted where it said children need original birth certificate but that was all . I just read all their terms and conditions and all i see is original birth certificate for international flights . This is from their terms and conditions
" Documents Advisory
Domestic Routes: Adults are required to produce their original identity cards* or passports** for all domestic flights***. before they are allowed to board.

International Routes: All passengers traveling on international routes must possess valid passports with at least six (6) months’ validity and the applicable valid visas. Such passengers shall possess a return on an onward journey ticket. If you have purchased our FLY-THRU product, you are responsible for ensuring you meet the entry requirements of your final destination.

* Identity cards are valid identification only in their countries of issuance.
** The production of an original passport qualifies as valid identification under this article.
*** Child passengers without an identity card or passport must present their original birth certificate."
Does not say children need anything for domestic routes same as europe and usa as long as they are travelling with an adult with a passport.
The photo shows the both certificates from the amphoe offices the right hand one not laminated is what i had with me and was refused . Ruined my 6 day holiday
Cacopy 1pture.JPG

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: air asia and children

Post by tamada » November 4, 2019, 9:36 pm

Thai Smile check-in got all anal when I produced an un-laminated color copy of the youngest sprogs birth certificate. I had managed to tear a bit off the bottom corner where there's a signature and they wouldn't accept it. Luckily, I had stuck the the one-inch strip of the certificate inside my wallet when it got torn off thinking 'just in case'... good job I did. They weren't concerned with the lack of laminating. Maybe I need to carry a laminated one if we take AirAsia?

AFAIK, a good quality copy of the original looks just like an original... that's what was accepted by Thai Smile after I showed the missing bit! As for laminating, that's an option that some hospitals, registrars or amphurs offer and doesn't make it in any way the original.

Thanks for the post. Another instance of jobsworths making things up.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 5, 2019, 7:56 am

Yes my oldest boy flew 7 times with air asia without showing anything but a black and white copy of his birth cert which sometimes they never even asked for. If you look below at their new terms and conditions it does not say you need anything for domestic flights for kids but has those little asterisks so i suppose they mean something .Was a real horrible experience . They could have just let him fly . They could not understand there is no original as the office just prints them out on their printer from the pc . They printed 4 for me but i only had one laminated !
My wife was crying , my 2 boys were crying and the gate staff were laughing .

Domestic Routes: Adults are required to produce their original identity cards* or passports** for all domestic flights***. before they are allowed to board.
International Routes:
* Identity cards are valid identification only in their countries of issuance.
** The production of an original passport qualifies as valid identification under this article.
*** Child passengers without an identity card or passport must present their original birth certificate."
On another note i have tried to contact air asia without any joy . their call centre email support tell you to go to their website for live chat which is a laugh as it is a pc bot called ava . i tried for 2 hours to get a live agent and when i finally was told i had one waited 20 minutes without anyone there so now cannot even contact air asia . left a message on messenger on their facebook page but no answer . Will look for somewhere to complain today as i checked and all over the world n id is not need for a child

in usa children up to 18 yrs do not need id if travelling with an adult who has a passport
When flying domestically within the U.S., children typically do not need to show ID. Flying within the United States when accompanied by an adult. The TSA and most airlines do not require children under age 18 to provide ID when traveling with an adult companion who has acceptable identification.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » November 5, 2019, 8:39 am

last July i was renewing my passport,, my embassy kept my old passport while processing the new one. I went to Dmk to get my flight back to Udon. At the Nok check-in counter the agent refused to issue my boarding pass telling me i had to report to the airport police station, even though i had a 4x6 plastifyed copy of passport and visa. So i went the policemen glaced at both documents signed a waiver. Back to Nok no.problen.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 5, 2019, 9:19 am

I would have thought what with all the child trafficking around the world, and what not, that quite stringent IDs / original certificates, would be required for any child, or child under 18yrs with an adult, just to make sure nothing hinky was going down..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2019, 10:04 am

A few months back, we had a black and white copy of her 6 year-old nephew's birth certificate to fly Thai Smile BKK to UTH. Mrs tam and I were offloading the 4 kids to fly home to UTH after their beach holiday with her 22 year-old niece being the most senior traveler. The check-in staff wanted the 'original' BC so in hindsight, I should have made a color copy of his BC at the same time as I made a color copy of my own kid's one.

They said we could get a travel waiver from the police station down on the lower ground transportation level. We hot-footed it down there and they said no problem and asked for my wife's ID card. Of course it was still in the her purse, back home in Udon! No matter, the cops were happy to speak to her brother on the phone before issuing the police paperwork that the check-in staff needed. At least their letter is free of charge.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 5, 2019, 11:29 am

I took my step daughter with me alone to Singapore earlier this year to see her gravely i'll grandmother and for me to get an employment medical. I say step daughter but her mum and I are not married
She was 12 at the time. She left on her Thai passport, entered and left Singapore on her Singapore passport, re-entered Thailand on her Thailand passport. No problems.
And to maaka's question about child trafficking, I was concerned that they would ask questions, but not one, even a simple question, on why she was travelling with a male adult on a aussie passport with no association by name to her. It would have been difficult for me to explain. I would have only been able to have them ring her mother if asked. Her mother was with us at the Thai Smile UT counter but not needed.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 5, 2019, 11:51 am

The worst thing i did was to check in online which meant i only had to go to the gate at 13.20 . By the time they refused me it was it was to late . gate was shut at 13.40 . they said we could go to the police station but had no time . The boys mother dropped us of and was in the car park so she came to the gate but still they would not budge . With me , grandmother , brother and mother there they could be pretty certain we were not child traffickers . Just jobsworth people .
. I am 100% certain if i laminated the paper cert they would accept it , and will do for next time . If i had checked in there i would have had time to go home and get the laminated one so better to check in at udon as early as you can before the flight . I was not the only one . a thai woman and little girl was denied on a bkk air asia flight as she had a black and white copy she caught the same train as me to bkk but had a seat not a bed . This rule should be on the itinerary they send you not on small print with asterisks on the terms and conditions . It said on the itinerary adults need passport , id card but did not mention children and as i had flown 7 times before without it as they said it was a new rule so they should point it out . It was pretty disgraceful way for them to behave

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » January 22, 2020, 3:20 pm

Well i never ! After not being allowed on the flight with my 3 yr old boy for not having the laminated copy (supposed original ) of his birth certificate just a paper one which came off the same printer at the amphur office when i asked for some extra copies for travelling i made an official complaint with air asia pointing out in europe and usa do not need any id for kids travelling with a parent who has a passport . under 16 in uk under 18 in usa Had an email back saying they were correct and case was closed .
Just had a phone call from a guy at air asia saying sorry they would not let me board the flight and that they were wrong . I did not need id for him as said on their website for domestic flights only for inernational .
I pointed this out on the complaint which was dismissed . Turns out they were wrong , i was right . I am still angry they would not read thier own website .Woman was horrible and adamant he could not fly now and was laughing as i walked away with my wife and 2 boys crying , this guy tells me they were wrong !!!!
He said he would refund my airfare that i lost which is ok but i had to wait 6 hours for a train , overnight to bkk get mrt and skytrain to ekamai with a suitcase 2 rucksacks and a boy and a lot of walking and steps . bus to ban phe then songtawe to the resort . A day late and all because of this woman at udon thani airport .Inflexible unreasonable ! Not sure if true but he said it was only udon doing this . I think i may pay her a visit for an apology

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2020, 11:04 pm

^ You will receive restitution from AirAsia for their cock-up. Good.

As for anything associated with their cock up, that's what travel insurance is for and it's available on most airline's booking websites as fare add-on option. However, most travelers, especially those that use LCC's don't check that box and take a chance. If the carrier doesn't provide this insurance coverage, then the onus on the passenger to buy their own.

Better luck next time and don't forget to check that box. It's only a few baht after all.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » January 23, 2020, 7:52 am

tamada wrote:
January 22, 2020, 11:04 pm
^ You will receive restitution from AirAsia for their cock-up. Good.

As for anything associated with their cock up, that's what travel insurance is for and it's available on most airline's booking websites as fare add-on option. However, most travelers, especially those that use LCC's don't check that box and take a chance. If the carrier doesn't provide this insurance coverage, then the onus on the passenger to buy their own.

Better luck next time and don't forget to check that box. It's only a few baht after all.
I am not sure the travel insurance would cover this and most insurance only reimburse and to be honest it was not the money but the very big hassle it gave me . I remember travelling back from thailand was robbed at a bus station in uk left me stranded in swansea with no money. Phoned my insurance hotline number was told get an hotel and they would reimburse me . Told them i had no credit card or money ,they said nothing they could do !
I then phoned a lot of major travel insurance companies saying if i was robbed in thailand what would they do . would they provide instant help . all said not they would just reimburse me and pay any loss claims when i got home .
The fact is this was air asia staff fault for reading the info wrong or someone telling them the wrong info . Ludicrous to me as my oldest boy had already flown 7 times with them with just a black and white copy and sometimes did not even ask for it and this staff must have known this . Lucky he just got an id card he needed for the school football team.
I got an email from then to reimburse me about 1,800 baht i think , when i get that i will ask them for compensation , not that i will get it .
24 hours travelling , 1 days holiday lost . This all happened as the young staff at the gate refused me and the office customer service staff would not help me and just backed them to save face . would not even look at the correct rules which i had on my phone . just said no no no

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » January 23, 2020, 9:02 am

Im afraid customer service does not exist in Thailand .There are no consumer rights to speak of , and the words customer service are just that , words .
It also doesnt help that the education system from infants to university does not encourage the youth to think for themselves , or question what they are being taught , but to tow the line and learn everything parrot fashion , without question .

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » January 30, 2020, 7:16 am

Been having a bit of a discussion with the civil aviation authority of thailand (caat) last few days . They tell me that an id for children for domestic flights is the new law of the land and i must obey it.
Do you know?
Children traveling by plane Need some documents ??
19 March 2019
During this period, many families have organized trips for the holidays. But having children traveling by plane What documents are needed? Today, CAAT has information to present.

Children who have to travel by plane What documents do I need to travel?

Children up to 7 years: birth certificate or passport (Passport)
Children aged 7 and under 15: a child ID card or birth certificate or passport
** Use the original document only **
https://www.caat.or.th/th/archives/41274

i keep asking them how do get get an original birth certificate as there can only be 1 original and the ones i get from the amphur office are printed out from a pc onto A4 paper . I got 1 laminated copy and 3 paper copies for travelling which was refused . If it is laminated it is not a copy ? If i got the paper ones laminated then they would be originals ! All birth certificates , marriage certificates are copies of an original.
On my uk birth certificate it says certified copy and at the bottom it says this is not evidence of identity as you can see from this blank uk copy
UK Birth Certificate.png

Return to “Travel & Transport”