Getting a Thai Passport (for Thai citizens of course!)

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Getting a Thai Passport (for Thai citizens of course!)

Post by FrazeeDK » September 17, 2019, 7:58 pm

The wife decided to apply for a Thai passport today.. I was pleasantly surprised at the quick efficient and very automated system they used.

The Passport Office is located in the government complex about a block from the south side of Nong Prajak lake here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4154303 ... 312!8i6656

The MFA website says a Thai applying for a passport needs their ID Card and House book. The lady who processed the application told us the House Book was not needed.

Cost of the Passport is 1000 Baht and 40 Baht for MFA to EMS the new passport to you.

When you enter the government building the passport office is on the ground floor. There are many signs explaining the process step by step.
1. Go to Window 1 and get an application. Fill the application out at one of the many provided tables with pens. Take the application back to Window 1 where they will check it and if all is correct give you a queue number.
2. Go into the processing area through the double doors. Stop at the height measurement station where a staff member will measure your height and mark it on the passport application.
3. Take a seat and listen/watch (the queue board works!) for your number to be called.
4. When called to one of the 12 processing cubicles (every single one was open) your paperwork will be reviewed again, Your ID card will be scanned, fingerprints taken (10 print) and photo taken. They will show you the photo on a tablet to make sure you're happy with it. If not they'll take it again. Then they will print a completed form and have you sign it. They give you the fee paperwork and you proceed to the cashier, pay your fee (again 1000 baht for the PPT, 40 baht for EMS), get your reciept, get your EMS reciept and go out the exit..

turn around time for the EMS delivery of the passport from MFA in Bangkok
is supposedly 7-10 days.

Total time: about 30 minutes from getting the application to walking out the door.. All staff were friendly, helpful with smiles on their faces.. What impressed me was that all 12 processing stations were open. All equipment appeared to be working properly (fingerprint scanners, superb cameras, scanners and printers) and everything just went smoothly....

The lady who processed my wife's application did say that it was not very crowded today (Tuesday)

At no point was there a tip jar or seemingly any place where an employee could solicit lunch money....

If someone knows any top cops at immigration you should take them to this excellent operation to see how it works....

Dave

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Getting a Thai Passport (for Thai citizens of course!)

Post by Stantheman » September 18, 2019, 1:29 am

You are right it's very fast and it comes in the mail quickly, only drawback is it only good for 5 years.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » September 18, 2019, 3:12 am

Thanks frazeeDK, in going through the process, is there any restriction on a Thai national making that application if a passport from another country is held. My daughter in law let her TPP lapse when Australian citizenship granted.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 18, 2019, 3:47 am

Daughter has U.S. passport and got Thai one, but if Thai Id is expired might be a problem

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 18, 2019, 7:04 am

even when you have dual nationality you can still apply for a new Thais passport and id card , also no problem applying when old one is expired ....as info ;)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 18, 2019, 7:34 am

The woman providing the passport service to my wife asked her if she had another passport. My wife told her U.S. and the girl said, "no problems". If a Thai possesses a Thai national ID card they're eligible for a passport.. We did have my wife's old Thai passport which expired in 1993. The girl said that was too old to even be in the database and didn't want to see it.

If the Thai ID is expired and you're from Amphoe Muang Udon Thani you'd have to go across the street and apply for a new one.. I imagine that also would require possession of a House Book.. But, if the ID card in the national database then it shouldn't be too hard.. If it is pre-database then you'd probably need a House Book, passport, witnesses et al. to get a new one issued.
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2019, 2:13 pm

Timely update. Both Mrs tam and tam Jr.'s Thai passports expired last month so may as well get one for tam noi as well.

Does anyone know if a police report is needed for a lost Thai passport when applying for a replacement? After our vacation a couple of months back, tam Jr's Thai passport has possibly come up missing at the house. Still need to look in all the usual places first... but you know how that goes!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 11, 2019, 4:39 pm

No problem with multiple passports to be able to obtain a thai one
I know because my son has 3 passports all valid

Return to “Travel & Transport”