Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2020, 6:57 am

Yes I agree if I had health issues, Thailand without insurance would be expensive , but many come here healthy and the issues catch up later. After a long time here, that is always the niggling question in the back of almost everyone's mind , what do if health deteriorates, some soldier on until the end, some decide going back is the only option, others just say sod it and drink themselves into oblivion . Others try to finance the cure, which normally by the time it becomes effective the money runs out . I know a person who had blood poisoning, from stepping on something in a field, after 2+million baht , he still died, I can think of more fun to be had in a shorter time with that cash.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 17, 2020, 10:59 am

I was able to retire at age 59. I made the big move to Thailand and immediately purchased a health insurance policy. I had one claim in the six years I had the policy. That was for appendicitis. I made sure that the company would never cancel me because of age. What I didn't consider was that they would price me out, which they did at age 65. I have a nest egg in my US bank account that has more money in it than the limits of the Thai health policy I had. I cancelled the policy. So far I am way ahead and hopefully my son in the US will inherit that nest egg because it is specifically for any health problem that I hope to never have.

I post this because of those who think you are stupid for not having health insurance. If you are over 65 years old, you won't be able to get insurance. Even if you are able to get a policy it won't be a good policy and it will be very expensive. So yes, it is a problem.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 17, 2020, 12:10 pm

Good report. Those of us not yet retired in Thailand want to read about these kinds of problems. It's best to know what might lie ahead before putting your feet up in LOS. Thank you.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 17, 2020, 3:08 pm

I post this because of those who think you are stupid for not having health insurance. If you are over 65 years old, you won't be able to get insurance. Even if you are able to get a policy it won't be a good policy and it will be very expensive. So yes, it is a problem.
Agree Glait.
I have posted this somewhere before but just a reminder. A friend who worked with the same company as I turned 65. The companies medical insurers would not provide medical cover so the company offered him 5000$ a year to sort out his own insurance. Ends up that because there were so many exclusions in all offers (quite a few existing problems) he decided to just bank the allowance and use it if required. He is still with the same company 7 years later and never once had to touch the allowance that has built up to be a mega party at his funeral. Seems as long as you have a bit of spare cash put aside for these emergencies most people will be Ok.

Return to “Travel & Transport”