Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
vlad
udonmap.com

Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Post by vlad » May 29, 2019, 2:14 am

I was reading a report on Pattaya One yesterday informing all Tourists that a Tax will be introduced on Entry to the kingdom. In my view its not about the price which I believe is 100 tbt its more to do squeezing that little bit more of the orange. It seems to me that there must be someone in the Thai government sat thinking how to get money from Tourist and visitors from double pricing, visa regs, now a tourist Tax, and fining you if you bring a vapour or an E cigarette in.
A small beer is now more than in Spain or Greece so after 12-13 years im beginning now to look at other Asian destinations where your at least appreciated and looked after you are constantly reminded your just a falang and a visitor.
What do other members think the way things are going on in Thailand and are you still happy living or visiting here.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 29, 2019, 8:57 am

My advice is for you to find a country that is more suitable to your tastes and desires. Good luck.

Have you ever visited Pakistan, Bangladesh or India?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Depends what they are going to do with that money?
If they used that money to employ more immigration officers at the airports, I would be more than happy.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » May 29, 2019, 10:05 am

I'm still quite happy and satisfied with Thailand. In fact, more so that when I first came here in 2002. Since then I've spent about half my time here and the other half in the USA, which I am less and less satisfied and happy with. I can always find things to be dissatisfied with in either country, but Thailand still appeals to me.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 29, 2019, 10:51 am

I'm happy here and can't imagine any circumstances that would cause me to even consider a move. Of course Thailand has warts but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Maybe a big thing is that Thailand doesn't tax me to death. Prices have risen but no more than in other countries. Maybe the people who shouldn't be here anyways because of lack of money would be most interested in a big move. The grass always looks greener on the other side, but is it? Living on a tight budget certainly does not make for a contented retirement.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 29, 2019, 12:23 pm

Well said Gary agree 100%

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 29, 2019, 12:44 pm

Its a shame 1 member has to be negative but i was expecting that. Most I have met on my travels have told me that it is getting more and more difficult to stay here unless you have a good pension with the correct money in your account There are many that simply do not meet the requirements of the new regulations and are worried that they will have to leave, some do not have a pension that pays over 30k tbt per month. As for tourism the Thai government keep banging on they want only quality tourist like the Chinese and Koreans and are bending over backwards accommodating them yet your bread and butter tourist's have been forgotten or ignored. A recent survey from TIT stated Songkran was down this year because of the drop of Chinese party's. These quality tourist do not spend money in the bars or in restaurants and anyone walking around udon will notice how quite it is.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 29, 2019, 1:28 pm

I'm still happy to visit Thailand. Neither 100 baht nor rising beer prices will put me off. Run ins with officials might.

There's always Cambodia to consider.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 29, 2019, 1:45 pm

Vlad , if you dont mind me saying , it would appear that you have been disgruntled with Thailand for quite a few years now .
Always looking for the negatives , and sharing your concerns with the forum .
I believe your still fairly young , free and single , and its a big big world which you could explore pretty much all of with a 10 hour flight .
If you dont fancy India , ect as suggested , how about the West indies , or Central America , even some of the African nations .
If you want cheap then Albania , or Bulgaria , if you dont mind hairy armpits . The bonus is they are less than 4 hours away .
Strange as it may seem , many of us residents realise Thailand is not perfect by any means , but then where is ?
Yet we are happy living her , warts and all . Life is a compromise after all , if you want to stay happy you have to accept a compromises in life .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 29, 2019, 1:49 pm

It's a good question though. Sure it often crops up but it's fun to kick around.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 29, 2019, 1:54 pm

I had a friend in Jomtien who never had a good thing to say about Thailand. I asked him why he stayed here if it was so bad. He told me he was leaving and moved to Cambodia. He lasted about six months before he came back and of all places, settled in Saraburi. He said Cambodia was worse than Thailand. From Saraburi he moved up to Nan. He said Nan was great but the next thing I heard from him was that he was moving to the PI's. He died there about six months later, probably all alone. RIP Nat. He was an intelligent guy and had a lot of money in the stock market.

He had no money problems but you would have thought he was on his last dollar. Everyone and every place was ripping him off. He had come from Hawaii and said it was way too expensive to retire there. That just goes to show you that some people are not happy regardless of where they live. I was one of the few guys who got along with him.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 29, 2019, 1:59 pm

Like i said , negatives . Funny how some people with money are tighter than a ducks ring piece .
Anyways if you enjoy living here , then you must be a glass half full type ,.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 29, 2019, 2:34 pm

saint wrote:
May 29, 2019, 1:59 pm
Like i said , negatives . Funny how some people with money are tighter than a ducks ring piece .
Anyways if you enjoy living here , then you must be a glass half full type ,.
I'm not a bell ringer and I don't throw money away. At my age the purse strings have loosened considerably and I know a hearse has no luggage rack. I enjoy gadgets and have a lot of them. If I see something I want, I buy it and I don't have to worry about a budget. I'm certainly not wealthy but I am able to live as I want and have a healthy surplus every month..

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » May 29, 2019, 3:29 pm

there was a community of french Canadians up in the thabo area years ago but they have all gone elsewhere. prolly back home ..houses and thai wives seem to have been abandoned ..not sure why they left though

bulgaria is pretty ok since they joined the EU and its cheap there ..some nice poontang if you want some
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » May 29, 2019, 3:33 pm

vlad wrote:
May 29, 2019, 2:14 am
<snip>after 12-13 years im beginning now to look at other Asian destinations where your at least appreciated and looked after you are constantly reminded your just a falang and a visitor.
Good luck with that.

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » May 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

Sateeb wrote:
May 29, 2019, 3:33 pm
vlad wrote:
May 29, 2019, 2:14 am
<snip>after 12-13 years im beginning now to look at other Asian destinations where your at least appreciated and looked after you are constantly reminded your just a falang and a visitor.
Good luck with that.

Try Butlins in Minehead be among other farang that won't call you farang, always remember, sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you farang 😂
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 29, 2019, 4:57 pm

I am a longtime loner, 35 odd yrs, lived alone it remote places, on a remote island, in remote Sounds, cabins backed into the forest, just me, me rifle and a horse. Found myself perched naked up on the corner of the kitchen table one night like a hawk. Realised I was on the edge of going troppo, and needed a change if I didnt want to die alone. DateinAsia saved me. I was here in the early 70's risking death, calling it out . I should be dead ten times over. I also took on the hangman's noose, or 50yrs in stir, and 9 lashes of the rotan..yet I am still here, and that aint half the story. I still have the cabin and 30acres on a remote island, and a double bay barn on some farm land tucked away in the foothills in another part of my country..it loaded with all my old treasures, guitars I never play, rifles I never shoot, motorbikes I never ride, and old tractors. I find three months on, and three months off between here and there suits me, and the missus..thankfully she is independent like me.. I like this place..I am not rich, but the cheapness of it all allows me to be creative, build houses and work up a poor farm to hopefully something better..yet I get back homeside to get lost in my head, visit my kids I never lived with..it gives me options.. I like options..and it nice to be wanted, to be loved....each to his own

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 29, 2019, 6:03 pm

Why the negative comments guys ? If you don't want to be constructive in this thread don't post. There no need for the negativity how about some of the the things going on that you don't like

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 29, 2019, 7:21 pm

Rodger that Mick
I must call down one day, as I owe you a visit to your new house..
next trip ok.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 29, 2019, 7:26 pm

NO worrries

Return to “Travel & Transport”