Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Post by glalt » May 31, 2019, 9:32 am

Maybe I'm riff raff. I'm an introvert and shun any social events. My wife has long ago given up trying to get me to go to weddings, funerals or family events. My uniform of the day is cargo shorts, a T shirt and sandals. When I was able to retire, I promised myself that I would never wear a suit and tie again. I gave all long sleeved shirts, suits and ties to charity when I left the USA. I pretty much gave up drinking because all my drinking buddies have either died or moved away. I don't like to drink alone. I'm probably nearly a hermit but I like it that way. Life is good.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 31, 2019, 9:50 am

glalt wrote:
May 31, 2019, 9:32 am
Maybe I'm riff raff. I'm an introvert and shun any social events. My wife has long ago given up trying to get me to go to weddings, funerals or family events. My uniform of the day is cargo shorts, a T shirt and sandals. When I was able to retire, I promised myself that I would never wear a suit and tie again. I gave all long sleeved shirts, suits and ties to charity when I left the USA. I pretty much gave up drinking because all my drinking buddies have either died or moved away. I don't like to drink alone. I'm probably nearly a hermit but I like it that way. Life is good.
Good on you..Like the saying says..Don't judge the book by it's cover..right.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » May 31, 2019, 11:57 am

I've been here for going on eleven years now, and it's a true love/hate relationship. On my bad days I hate the garbage, the driving, the queue cutting, the mean dogs, hearing the word "farang, farang"....but then when I am out for a walk and someone pulls over on their motorbike and asks if I need a ride, or when I am at the store and someone refuses to go before me, or when I am at the hardware store and an employee tells me..."you should really go down the street to that other store to buy that because it's better and cheaper there" then all of those negative thoughts just melt away.
Every year I can't wait to go back to my home country...and then when i'm there I miss it here and can't wait to come back. Do I need a lobotomy or what? (don't answer that...and whatever you do don't ask my wife that question!)

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » May 31, 2019, 11:58 am

Raoul Duke wrote:
May 31, 2019, 8:55 am
saint wrote:
May 31, 2019, 7:34 am
his own fart locker
Can you buy these on Lazada?
I think you're born with one, aren't you?

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » May 31, 2019, 2:42 pm

NongKhaiLee wrote:
May 31, 2019, 11:57 am
I've been here for going on eleven years now, and it's a true love/hate relationship. On my bad days I hate the garbage, the driving, the queue cutting, the mean dogs, hearing the word "farang, farang"....but then when I am out for a walk and someone pulls over on their motorbike and asks if I need a ride, or when I am at the store and someone refuses to go before me, or when I am at the hardware store and an employee tells me..."you should really go down the street to that other store to buy that because it's better and cheaper there" then all of those negative thoughts just melt away.
Every year I can't wait to go back to my home country...and then when i'm there I miss it here and can't wait to come back. Do I need a lobotomy or what? (don't answer that...and whatever you do don't ask my wife that question!)
Good idea if you team up with Glait looks like you have nearly the same outlook on Thailand 😂
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » May 31, 2019, 8:13 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
May 31, 2019, 9:50 am
Do you honestly think the friendly locals subscribe to this metaphorical phrase?
Voiceover for hire.

magpie73
udonmap.com

Post by magpie73 » June 1, 2019, 6:44 am

had a couple off years out in Thailand loved it but my home is the uk I've got 2 kids in Thailand that I take care off and go and see every couple off months but for me the uk is far more superior to Thailand for services that you can source compared to what you can get in Thailand if you live in the likes of northeast Thailand not taking anything away form Thailand but I always felt like an outsider when I was there for a few years

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Raoul Duke wrote:
May 31, 2019, 8:13 pm
DuiDui49 wrote:
May 31, 2019, 9:50 am
Do you honestly think the friendly locals subscribe to this metaphorical phrase?
7-11, among others, apparently do
YouTube · Fran Salvatrucha
5:05
Thai Ad - Never judge a book by its cover
Dec 18, 2017
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... OD4xbU2nov

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 1, 2019, 9:50 am

Mr Parrot, Your above link does NOT work for me. Have a nice day.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 1, 2019, 9:55 am

Me neither - but this one does. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2019, 11:12 am

Thanks, js. That's the one. And there are many more like it.
I'm not a fan of Thai TV, but there have been a number of corporate sponsored ads over the years that try to right the wrongs of Thai society........not unlike the Don't Be a Litterbug ads of the 60s.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » June 1, 2019, 11:20 am

39.75 Thai Baht to the Pound. No signs of a let up in the strength of the baht ! Or the weakness of the pound.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 1, 2019, 8:12 pm

Life is always as you make it. You can live in almost every country in the world and same, same. The greatest challenge is living in another country and feeling 'at home'. Frankly, you never will IMHO.

Then again, most have a whinge even in their home country. Too many foreigners, dippy politicians, bad tax policies, those in power with their snouts in the trough, lousy umpires, bureaucratic frustrations, price of petrol Yabba, Yabba, Yabba.
I am independently poor

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 1, 2019, 9:40 pm

Many years ago a wise person told me something I never forgot. He said that there is only one person in the entire world who can make you happy or unhappy. That person is YOU. One other little bit of information was not to concern your self with things you have no control over.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 2, 2019, 8:03 am

I was told something similar . "Do not relay on others for your happiness " Another one was ' If you dont love yourself , how can you expect others to love you "
Im also a great believer that a miserable bastard , will always be a miserable bastard no matter where he lives .
Countries may change , but attitudes to life , not so much .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 2, 2019, 8:20 am

saint wrote:
June 2, 2019, 8:03 am
I was told something similar . "Do not relay on others for your happiness " Another one was ' If you dont love yourself , how can you expect others to love you "
Im also a great believer that a miserable bastard , will always be a miserable bastard no matter where he lives .
It's unfortunate that quite often we forget to count our blessings. Where you are born is a mystery. Is it just the luck of the draw? Sometimes I ask myself, What would I be if I had been born in a third world country?

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 2, 2019, 9:29 am

saint wrote:
June 2, 2019, 8:03 am
MBS Syndrome, does have a cure, unfortunately the cure is fatal
I am independently poor

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 2, 2019, 3:19 pm

Today Stickman published an email from a chap living in the UK who has tired of Thailand:

"I just returned from a trip to Bangkok and Phuket. Very long queues at Immigration, which made the long flight all the more painful. Through to grab a taxi, got a ticket, jumped in and said meter. He said, no, 800 baht includes toll way. I asked why 800. He said bigger car. No thanks, I jumped out. I notice taxis place towels over the meter. Nana Plaza was so quiet, how any anybody is making money there I don’t know. Next stop Biergarten, empty as well. Walked back up to Gulliver’s. A handful of people playing pool. I sat outside with a beer and it was only me there. I headed to Thermae and finally, somewhere busy! Phuket was next. Went in to Suzy Wong Gogo. Dancer wants 10,000 baht short time. I asked if that includes the flight back to London and a bottle of Bollinger 64. Phuket is very expensive now with 4,000 Baht = £100. Crazy money being asked for beers and lady drinks that only Bill Gates could afford. So back to Bangkok for the long flight home only to find huge queues again to get out. Finally boarded the flight to London which looked like the movie Con Air. I can’t see me going back to Thailand. Seen it done it sort of thing. Still a fun holiday but very expensive. I think I only went back out of sentiment."

If a relationship doesn't tie a farang to Thailand, then other fields beckon.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 2, 2019, 7:53 pm

I am not an expert on prices, but If the gal wanted 10,000 I would suggest he is not that great a specimen. He went to Thailand out of sentiment? Go figure that one out.
I am independently poor

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » June 2, 2019, 8:09 pm

10,000 wow.
Voiceover for hire.

Return to “Travel & Transport”