pink ID card

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
timmy
udonmap.com

pink ID card

Post by timmy » April 1, 2019, 8:44 am

can anybody tell me if you can fly " domestic " with pink id card or driving license ? would be with " air Asia " to Phuket thanks .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: pink ID card

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 1, 2019, 8:55 am

timmy wrote:
April 1, 2019, 8:44 am
can anybody tell me if you can fly " domestic " with pink id card or driving license ? would be with " air Asia " to Phuket thanks .
Yes you can, though I have carried my passport for other reasons I have only shown my driving licence at Check-in and security points. I would guess the pink card would be equally acceptable.

I don't know if you are flying back it it's also OK, it certainly is at both UTH & KKC
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » April 1, 2019, 2:53 pm

I have flown with pink id on air asia as well as thai smile.

Also, have been asked for passport when flying on id. Had a very nice well spoken agent explain that pink id is valid for flying but sometime one working desk english is not good to translate name from thai. So it is a language thing if they ask.

YMMV

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 1, 2019, 3:42 pm

Have had mixed experiences trying to fly on Pink ID. Finally one airport worker explained that some staff do not like to accept it as your name is only written in thai on pink ID card and so does not match the English name on your ticket. Responsibility is on them to translate it when reading.

Since then have always used my Thai driving licence and never had any problems.

mortsyn
udonmap.com

Post by mortsyn » April 1, 2019, 6:04 pm

In March I was on Phuket and used the ID card on both AirAisia flights as well at the hotels.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » April 1, 2019, 9:13 pm

thanks for the reply's looks like ill be o.k with the card plus driving license .

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » April 2, 2019, 8:14 am

As you have to carry your passport to comply with the law here what is the problem

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 2, 2019, 12:57 pm

minimiglia wrote:
April 2, 2019, 8:14 am
As you have to carry your passport to comply with the law here what is the problem
That is debatable, nobody has ever been able to quote the "supposed" law. At least one area immigration head has said that a copy is perfectly OK. There is no law requiring the passport to be carried, though you may be required to carry a picture ID.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Nearly 23 years here, never carry passport around Udon, never asked to show it either.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » April 2, 2019, 2:11 pm

About one year ago I was walking out of the Big-C and as I passed KFC I was approached by three Thai plain-clothed policemen asking to see my passport because they thought I was a falang that they were looking for. I did not acknowledge them until they showed me their Police Identification first. I did not have my passport on my person so I handed the policeman that showed me his police ID, my pink Thai ID Card. He read the card and showed it to the other policemen and then handed my Pink Thai ID Card back to me and thanked me for my cooperation. Then they showed me a picture on their cell phone of the falang that they were looking for.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 2, 2019, 3:01 pm

So did he look like you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 2, 2019, 9:09 pm

timmy wrote:
April 1, 2019, 8:44 am
Yes You Can, Just Did it TO-DAY On Lion Air DMK-UTH !! Also the Check-In Girl used my Christian Name off the Card....

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 3, 2019, 7:32 am

do not forget TIT,as with all here you will manage everything al depending of the goodwill of the person handling it...
last time i went to bkk domestic flight ,with thai lion air ,to make application for a new passport at the embassy , normally i would leave the old passport there and they would resend old cancelled and new one later back(2 weeks)..luckily i informed at the airliner if i could use my dl for this ? , very simple answer ...no...,(not even a copy of pp) your dl is not a valid id card , and neither is the pink card ,it is even written in thais on the pink card , this card is not an id card?, please correct if i am wrong ?,as i do not own a pink card and do not need one in the future, it is strange why falang always want to bend everything according to their own interpretation of how it should be ,and when this is not whining about it endlessly...
according to the law thais people must use an id card to make domestic flights , as falang do not have them they must use their passport ,they leave you use your dl many times because it has your passport number on it ,but in my case this would not be correct anymore as i have changed my passport , should i need to change my dl now?....
i do not understand why not wanting to take your passport? to big ?, to heavy? thais law says you must carry passport at all times anyway .....????
just do as they ask and all will be fine without any whining ...
have safe trips all.... ;)

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » April 3, 2019, 9:45 am

parrot wrote:
April 2, 2019, 1:01 pm
Nearly 23 years here, never carry passport around Udon, never asked to show it either.
I have lived here over 10 years and have had to show my passport to a spot check numerous times, may be you need to get out more?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 3, 2019, 10:38 am

I reckon I've been stopped at traffic stops well over 100 times....mostly in Udon, but Chiangmai, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Trang, NKP, Nongkai,Loei among other places, since 1996. I always ask "is there a problem?" then ask if they want to see my license. I hand over my license.......and for the past 10 or so years, my pink ID card as well. With very rare exception, I find the police at these stops very courteous.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 3, 2019, 10:52 am

parrot wrote:
April 3, 2019, 10:38 am
I reckon I've been stopped at traffic stops well over 100 times....mostly in Udon, but Chiangmai, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Trang, NKP, Nongkai,Loei among other places, since 1996. I always ask "is there a problem?" then ask if they want to see my license. I hand over my license.......and for the past 10 or so years, my pink ID card as well. With very rare exception, I find the police at these stops very courteous.
Same for me. Licence and ID always been sufficient. I agree 100% with your ancillary comment. Always found "authority" figures here courteous and respectful. You reap what you sow I guess.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 3, 2019, 10:57 am

minimiglia wrote:
April 3, 2019, 9:45 am
parrot wrote:
April 2, 2019, 1:01 pm
I have lived here over 10 years and have had to show my passport to a spot check numerous times, may be you need to get out more?
But in your context, where exactly is 'here'?

It's well known that there's a lot of weirdnesses out west, Nongbua Lamphu way and points in between.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 3, 2019, 11:07 am

kopkei wrote:
April 3, 2019, 7:32 am
thais law says you must carry passport at all times anyway .....????
Please give a reference to the law that you claim. English or Thai is OK

Nobody that I have read or spoken to has ever quoted the law that you claim.

Even top level immigration heads have said that a passport copy is sufficient.
kopkei wrote:
according to the law thais people must use an id card to make domestic flights , as falang do not have them they must use their passport ,
It may be airline policy, it is not the law, if it were airlines and security staff would not routinely break it.
kopkei wrote:
they leave you use your dl many times because it has your passport number on it ,but in my case this would not be correct anymore as i have changed my passport , should i need to change my dl now?....
How would the airline or security staff know that you have changed your passport?

Yes technically you should change your driving licence, in practice almost nobody does just change the number next time you renew.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 9, 2019, 6:16 pm

Got my Pink ID Card 070919. Went down to the Amphoe ID Card Office today with the following items in hand:
1. Passport and copy of passport (I stapled a copy of my extension permission to the face page copy but they didn't even look at it)
2. Yellow House Book and copy of it.
3. Driver's License and copy of it.
4. Thai Marriage Certificate and/or Kor Ror 2 (Marriage registation).
5. 60 Baht. (that's a funny one since Thais were paying 100 baht for their ID's!!)

They will give you all your documents back once the issue you the ID.

District Office is located a block from the south side of Nong Prajak here: https://www.google.com/maps/@17.4152461 ... 312!8i6656

when you go in the front door of the District Office turn left. Go in through the double doors and the queue machine is to your right. Push button 3 (Ngan Bat งานบัตร) the PA will likely announce your number immediately and direct you to go to Window 11 all the way to the end of the wing.. Present you documents the the clerk and they'll process you... My actual procedure from giving them my paperwork to getting the ID Card was less than 10 minutes..
Dave

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 9, 2019, 6:28 pm

Locally, I never carry my passport, just a copy in my wallet. If I need my passport I can get it within an hour or so.
If I'm getting on an airplane, I take my passport.
What's the big deal? Some people seem to get wrapped around the axle over the most curious things.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Travel & Transport”