Alternatives to Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Alternatives to Thailand

Post by glalt » February 13, 2019, 9:56 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 13, 2019, 7:20 pm
Glalt: And, what kind of government do you think Cambodia has? How different is it from the governments of Laos and Vietnam? All three of them are tainted with communism.
A dictator is better than the communist party.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 13, 2019, 9:59 pm

arjay wrote:
February 12, 2019, 11:39 pm
You weren't trying to frame him, were you?

I had heard of the Gambia, but think it might be a bit on the primitive side, and health issues might be a worry.
13 reasons The Gambia should be your next holiday

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... he-gambia/

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 14, 2019, 1:51 am

Do you think that anybody here in this topic will go anywhere in the world to watch BIRDS? Especially in Gambia???

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » February 14, 2019, 3:48 am

arjay wrote:
June 10, 2018, 3:39 pm
After 15 years in Thailand, 7 of which were in Phuket, 1 in Udon and the last 7 in Nong Khai, I relocated back to the UK in 2015, and have been visiting LOS about once a year since.

I am thinking, as I have no ties to LOS whether there are any countries with similar characteristics that I could visit or stay for periods of up to 3 months, instead. I have researched and considered Vietnam, Cambodia, the PI's and Malaysia, and have I think rejected those for the usual reasons,- lack of infrastructure, safety, medical facilities etc. (I have read Bob's reviews of some of those places with interest, thanks).

Ideally I would be looking for a warm+ climate, friendly natives, particularly the female ones, a low cost of living (good exchange rate to the £, - if there is anywhere left now that doesn't have a stronger x rate than sterling!!) and preferably easy to get there, I detest long haul flights.

Does a suitable place still exist? (Sensible replies only please).
Did you just get fed up with Thailand ?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 17, 2019, 7:54 pm

SJP17 wrote:
February 14, 2019, 3:48 am
arjay wrote:
After 15 years in Thailand, 7 of which were in Phuket, 1 in Udon and the last 7 in Nong Khai, I relocated back to the UK in 2015, and have been visiting LOS about once a year since.

I am thinking, as I have no ties to LOS whether there are any countries with similar characteristics that I could visit or stay for periods of up to 3 months, instead. I have researched and considered Vietnam, Cambodia, the PI's and Malaysia, and have I think rejected those for the usual reasons,- lack of infrastructure, safety, medical facilities etc. (I have read Bob's reviews of some of those places with interest, thanks).

Ideally I would be looking for a warm+ climate, friendly natives, particularly the female ones, a low cost of living (good exchange rate to the £, - if there is anywhere left now that doesn't have a stronger x rate than sterling!!) and preferably easy to get there, I detest long haul flights.

SJP, It was primarily a case of health issues, and not being able to get to the bottom of them in Thailand, along with the prospect of old age approaching and health issues that arise with that. Other factors included, having reached age 65 and receiving a UK state pension, I would not receive the annual increases if I continued to live in Thailand. There was also a touch of anxiety/insecurity creeping in, from things like having to drive myself to hospital when ill (Nong Khai to Udon), not to mention the varying bureaucratic requirements of visa extensions (and which hoop am I to jump through this year!). The poor exchange rate. Plus I didn't want to finish my days in a bar. So I decided to reverse the situation, relocate back to the UK, where I now have a base, and then visit Thailand, as and when. I brought my wife back with me. (But, yes, it is a long and cold winter here!)

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » February 17, 2019, 10:16 pm

arjay wrote:
February 17, 2019, 7:54 pm
SJP17 wrote:
February 14, 2019, 3:48 am
arjay wrote:

SJP, It was primarily a case of health issues, and not being able to get to the bottom of them in Thailand, along with the prospect of old age approaching and health issues that arise with that. Other factors included, having reached age 65 and receiving a UK state pension, I would not receive the annual increases if I continued to live in Thailand. There was also a touch of anxiety/insecurity creeping in, from things like having to drive myself to hospital when ill (Nong Khai to Udon), not to mention the varying bureaucratic requirements of visa extensions (and which hoop am I to jump through this year!). The poor exchange rate. Plus I didn't want to finish my days in a bar. So I decided to reverse the situation, relocate back to the UK, where I now have a base, and then visit Thailand, as and when. I brought my wife back with me. (But, yes, it is a long and cold winter here!)
Sound move then and you can enjoy holidays with your wife when required sort out health issues free and less stress will improve your well being.

Yes the issues you covered are very important to many i can imagine health care being number 1 though current exchange rates must really be putting the squeeze on some expats.

Which is making me consider going for health care insurance for later down the road when i retire.
Last edited by SJP17 on February 17, 2019, 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 17, 2019, 10:54 pm

SJP17 wrote:Sound move then and you can enjoy holidays with your wife when required sort out health issues free and less stress will improve your well being.

Yes the issues you covered are very important to many i can imagine health care being number 1 though current exchange rated must really be puuting the squeeze on some expats.

Which is making me consider going for health care insurance for later down the road when i retire.
SJP, Yes, there are some prescription items that (3 years back @50bt to £1) cost about £100 in Thailand, and that I am not charged for in the UK.

One of the frustrations living back in the UK with an Asian wife, is that she needs a visa to go to any European country, (at least until she has been here 5+ years and has obtained British citizenship). Obtaining a Schengen visa entails a pre-booked appointment at the appropriate Embassy in London, which from where we live necessitates about 4 hours travel each way and an overnight stay in London, - all which adds up to the cost of a holiday to a European destination! Thus we tend to be forced to travel to the Far East destinations where there are no visa issues, or of course stay here. That was where the references to Cape Verde islands and Gambia and came from. She can get a visa on arrival in those places.

Though at C 37 baht to £1 currently, it tends to be a disincentive to go anywhere other than Gibraltar or the Channel Islands!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 17, 2019, 11:02 pm

arjay wrote:
February 17, 2019, 10:54 pm
SJP17 wrote:Sound move then and you can enjoy holidays with your wife when required sort out health issues free and less stress will improve your well being.

Yes the issues you covered are very important to many i can imagine health care being number 1 though current exchange rated must really be puuting the squeeze on some expats.

SJP, Yes, there are some prescription items that (3 years back @50bt to £1) cost about £100 in Thailand, and that I am not charged for in the UK.

One of the frustrations living back in the UK with an Asian wife, is that she needs a visa to go to any European country, (at least until she has been here 5+ years and has obtained British citizenship). Obtaining a Schengen visa entails a pre-booked appointment at the appropriate Embassy in London, which from where we live necessitates about 4 hours travel each way and an overnight stay in London, - all which adds up to the cost of a holiday to a European destination! Thus we tend to be forced to travel to the Far East destinations where there are no visa issues, or of course stay here. That was where the references to Cape Verde islands and Gambia and came from. She can get a visa on arrival in those places.

Though at C 37 baht to £1 currently, it tends to be a disincentive to go anywhere other than Gibraltar or the Channel Islands!!
I Know it's Sh*t, But It's Still just about 40 Baht to the Pound Here Richard,Is it ONLY 37 There ??

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 18, 2019, 8:51 am

Some think the simple answer is to get Thai health insurance. Obviously you have not tried that route. When you hit 65 years old, the premiums would make you choke. That's if you could even get health insurance. I had insurance for a number of years and my policy stated that they could never cancel me because of age. There was no mention of pricing me out, which they did. I am now self insured.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » March 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

tamada wrote:
February 12, 2019, 10:39 am
The Gambia
apparently the Gambia has fallen off in terms of chummy women who wont leave you alone ..dunno whats happened ..time was when elderly gents with a bad leg were seen with hot babes wandering the streets doing the old GFE :shock: :D
the only good Tory is a lavatory

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » March 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Faraday wrote:
June 12, 2018, 8:27 pm
Merthyr Tydfil.....

It's in south Wales UK.

[-X
haha might as well recommend canvey island
the only good Tory is a lavatory

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » March 11, 2019, 6:21 pm

Kings Holiday Camp no less

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 11, 2019, 7:04 pm

I Believe Jaywick Sands is Quite Nice.....

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

Damascus is cheap at the moment .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 13, 2019, 5:34 pm

saint wrote:
March 13, 2019, 1:42 pm
Damascus is cheap at the moment .
So Is Caracas Doug..... :lol:

Jhonny

Post by Jhonny » April 20, 2019, 1:22 am

Vietnam is a really great place.I have just been there for two weeks. It is a beautiful country with some of the most friendliest people I met in SEA. The cost of living is also very reasonable as mentioned by fdimike above. Da Nang is a nice city.

Canman63

Post by Canman63 » April 24, 2019, 10:09 pm

Just returned from danang, nicest city I have seen in 9 years in Asia. By far, clean, cheap, great people, easy visa( no 800k), international airport, 20 mile beach, river and boardwalk in the city centre, beautiful woman. $1 beer. Great expat and tourist base, no rift raft. The country actually wNts us there, unlike Thailand. Weather is fabulous also.
Goodbye Thailand.!!!!!!!

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » April 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Canman 63
Any pictures you can share with us?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

Canman63 wrote:
April 24, 2019, 10:09 pm
Just returned from danang, nicest city I have seen in 9 years in Asia. By far, clean, cheap, great people, easy visa( no 800k), international airport, 20 mile beach, river and boardwalk in the city centre, beautiful woman. $1 beer. Great expat and tourist base, no rift raft. The country actually wNts us there, unlike Thailand. Weather is fabulous also.
Goodbye Thailand.!!!!!!!
easy visa
what kind of VISA is "easy"?Retirement VISA or Tourist VISA?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

yartims wrote:
March 11, 2019, 6:15 pm
tamada wrote:
February 12, 2019, 10:39 am
The Gambia
..time was when elderly gents with a bad leg were seen with hot babes wandering the streets doing the old GFE :shock: :D
Could have sworn I witnessed the very same on Soi Sampan just last month while filling my pie hole at Harry's Handlebar. One athletic chap was observed simply hurtling towards the Viking Bar on his zimmer.

Return to “Travel & Transport”