Unpaid Bike Registration

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Unpaid Bike Registration

Post by Chriss » January 23, 2018, 8:38 am

I've been given an option to buy an old Honda 500 which is basically a "Barn Find". It's been off the road for the last 10 plus years (the owner doesn't know exactly how long) and stored in an old shedlike building, but is still in reasonably good condition, needs a lot of TLC to bring it back to life. But, the seller tells me if I register it in my name I'll have to pay all back registration costs for the years it's not been paid.... Is this correct?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Re: Unpaid Bike Registration

Post by papafarang » January 23, 2018, 8:55 am

panick knows about all of this . but I think after maybe 5 years the book and reg are canceled and then you have to re register it . as said ask panick , I think he's got about 8 big bikes
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 23, 2018, 8:57 am

I would tell the seller to sort out the registration before I considered buying. It's a headache, runaround and potential "surprise!" I would be happy to avoid. It seems to me the registration should be current BEFORE a sale, not fixed afterward. All kinds of bells and alarms on this one.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » January 23, 2018, 11:25 am

Giggle wrote:
January 23, 2018, 8:57 am
I would tell the seller to sort out the registration before I considered buying. It's a headache, runaround and potential "surprise!" I would be happy to avoid. It seems to me the registration should be current BEFORE a sale, not fixed afterward. All kinds of bells and alarms on this one.
Not really. Very common on older bikes.
Lot of hassle to get this one sorted and up to date.
Still, if you want the bike, buy it, it should be cheap, and you have the original green book, so it's a legal buy and legal bike, just not legit on the road. Still be able to ride it around the province, NK, SN etc. Just won't be able to tour on holiday to Phuket, CM etc.

colt1911
udonmap.com

Post by colt1911 » January 23, 2018, 11:58 am

Correct Chris. I bought a Honda Phantom that the owner had stored and not paid the yearly Tax for 5 years. I split the cost with the owner. Because like you it was a an exceptional "Barn Find".

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 23, 2018, 3:11 pm

of course you can always go over to AEK Udon to the Land Transport Office and ask for the official answer....
Dave

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » January 23, 2018, 6:56 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
January 23, 2018, 3:11 pm
of course you can always go over to AEK Udon to the Land Transport Office and ask for the official answer....
That's on my list of ToDo's but being a little distance outside the city I don't travel in that regularly. I knew some member(s) would have been in a similar situation hence my post. I will take your reply in a positive manner though, thank you.

Thanks also for the other comments. I'm waiting to see the green book and last known registration disc, this might give me a better idea of where things stand.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 23, 2018, 8:54 pm

Slightly off topic, but a friend of mine bought an old 1947 vintage car , vauxhall, up near Nakon Panom

It was advertised , he drove up, paid the guy the money, got picts of the hand over of cash, got a blue book.

But it turns out the previous owner is dead, and has been for many years, family or friends had it and sold it off.

He tried to get it registered, hasnt been for 15 ?? years or so, rejected as they need letters from the Family, notary signed etc, cant get this. Not even an ID Card given.

His Lawyer went with him to the village and nobody would sign a thing, has been to court over it to get an adverse possession application heard, and finally approved, after 1 year if the family dont appeal. Spent over 50000, so far in legal fees etc

Caveat Emptor

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » January 23, 2018, 11:42 pm

thaiguzzi wrote:
January 23, 2018, 11:25 am
Giggle wrote:
January 23, 2018, 8:57 am
Not really. Very common on older bikes.
Lot of hassle to get this one sorted and up to date.
Still, if you want the bike, buy it, it should be cheap, and you have the original green book, so it's a legal buy and legal bike, just not legit on the road. Still be able to ride it around the province, NK, SN etc. Just won't be able to tour on holiday to Phuket, CM etc.
=D> =D> =D>

Return to “Travel & Transport”