Pending change to red plate rules

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Pending change to red plate rules

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

The actual article in the Nation is headlined
New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30336263

However, until the law is changed it appears..
Pending the new law's enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Pending change to red plate rules

Post by Giggle » January 15, 2018, 3:44 pm

all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.
Ten silvers a pop -- a law tailor-made for corrupting easily and profitably. *golf clap*
The onus should be placed on the dealerships.
"all new vehicles must have license plates before they can be sold."
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2018, 3:58 pm

As far as I gather the dealership do not pay a (considerable) amount of tax until the vehicle is registered & the legal plates are obtained. There seems little incentive for them to do so.
Fining the dealer for vehicles purchased from them & running on red plates would swiftly resolve the issue.
As it is new car owners should probably refuse to actually pay for a vehicle until it had legal plates on it.
The red plates have a raft of restrictions on them that make them a magnet for police stops as it is!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Its amazing that the car registration offices do not have a supply of plates ready to go.
I suppose that would stop the guys down in head office getting their just deserts for releasing them.

We copped a fine for driving with the red plates a while back. Just driving Udon to KK. Didn't have the book showing the plates against the car.
Can't remember but maybe 200 bht. Policeman was very nice and explained it nicely. Paid up got the ticket from him and took it to the dealer next day who paid up as they did not issue said book to us.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2018, 8:30 pm

My new car , I insisted that the Brown Book was available and requested them to fill it out etc before I drove it out the showroom, ( beep beep beep )

So what im reading is, if the dealer has cash flow issues, just wont process the registration

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

wazza wrote:
January 15, 2018, 8:30 pm
So what im reading is, if the dealer has cash flow issues, just wont process the registration
To be honest Waz, under the current system, a distributor would probably be doing its' shareholders a huge dis-service if they process the registration on a timely basis. Interest free Government loan springs to mind.. :D
This is why the concept of punishing the poor customer (who has paid the Government taxation) is deeply flawed..

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2018, 8:52 pm

Mia Nois happy as they go online for Sales later in July, as Local BIBs advise of new income streams

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 16, 2018, 2:38 pm

when we bought our last car a couple of years ago we asked the dealership how long it would be to get the Red Plates replaced with regular plates. They said a month, maybe more. It ended up being nearly two months. The Dealer claimed the holdup (pardon the pun) was over at Land Transport.. As mentioned, you would think Land Transport would have a stack of Udon Thani plates readily available in their office.. If they do then the question is why does it take so long to process the paperwork??? Stateside DMV can be a day long headache but when you walk out, you've got your new plates in hand... For a new car buy in the States the dealer has always had the new plates on the car when I picked it up...
Dave

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » January 16, 2018, 4:08 pm

Same in uk or was last time I was there, the dealers have a batch of number plates, choose number and when you collect the new car all fited and complete with tax disc, how ever now no longer use tax discs all on computer. Uk police in their patrol cars have computer and instantly check it all, tax, mot, insurance etc etc, may take 50 years to get here?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 16, 2018, 4:20 pm

I dont think the BIB have SCMODS.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » January 17, 2018, 12:53 am

What about all the vehicles that drive around Udon with NO plates at all? :confused:

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 17, 2018, 8:57 am

I got 500 bht fine for not having plates
Mazda could not supply a red plate at the time
Made Madza pay the fine
My bike had red plate for year as the Honda dealer got but could not find the plate
Finally got it was covered in dust lol
Sister-n-law won a bike from Do Home no plate no book about a year ago

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 17, 2018, 2:55 pm

Last time we bought a truck, I told the salesman early on in the negotiation process that I wasn't buying without a plate. When it came time to finish up, he said the only plate remaining was one that was beaten up and bent. I took it.

I'm about ready for a new vehicle and I'll do the same next time. No plate, no sale. There are 3 Toyota dealers in town these days and my allegiance isn't with any of them.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 17, 2018, 3:55 pm

Barney wrote:
January 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
Its amazing that the car registration offices do not have a supply of plates ready to go.
I suppose that would stop the guys down in head office getting their just deserts for releasing them.
As far as I know the offices do have plates available. My guess is that the car dealership doesn't want to pay the tax quickly so they delay registration as long as they can.

If someone has better information do please let us know.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 17, 2018, 6:43 pm

I'm surprised anyone has been fined for no plates at all. When we got our new car (2012) didn't get the plates for nearly 4 months. Never got stopped. BUT when we lost the front plate, about 3 years ago, got stopped every time.Still see more cars with no plates than red plates.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2018, 10:18 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 17, 2018, 3:55 pm
Barney wrote:
January 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
As far as I know the offices do have plates available. My guess is that the car dealership doesn't want to pay the tax quickly so they delay registration as long as they can.

If someone has better information do please let us know.
You are correct. The transport offices do have an inventory of plates 'to go'. If you opt to do the running about by yourself... and a cooperative dealership, you can apparently get the plates same day if you're not buying somewhere too far out in the boonies.

dazzadazza
udonmap.com

Post by dazzadazza » April 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

I am looking to buy a pick up and want to take the pick up out of the province in daylight hours with red plates.
I was told it was possible by the dealer if I had the right paper work (book). Is the brown book the thing to have so you can take it out of the Provence?

Reading else where you are not allowed to take a red plated motor out of the provence it was registered

wazza wrote:
January 15, 2018, 8:30 pm
My new car , I insisted that the Brown Book was available and requested them to fill it out etc before I drove it out the showroom, ( beep beep beep )

dazzadazza
udonmap.com

Post by dazzadazza » April 25, 2018, 1:46 pm

I think I found the answer, anybody have experience being pulled over and all being fine with these?
Shado wrote:
May 7, 2014, 5:14 pm
(you are not allowed outside the province of registration)
We were given a letter by the dealer and a small log book (brown colored cover) that we simply had to fill out each time we made a trip out of Udon Province. We spent lots of time away while having the red plates, going as far as a week long holiday in Chiang Mai. No problems.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2018, 2:37 pm

I think the attached link discusses the ins/outs of red/brown books
http://www.lookmhee.com/news/110140

dazzadazza
udonmap.com

Post by dazzadazza » April 25, 2018, 5:32 pm

thanks, I took note of the bit and read in other places that it can be done in a day....
parrot wrote:
April 25, 2018, 2:37 pm
I think the attached link discusses the ins/outs of red/brown books
http://www.lookmhee.com/news/110140

Return to “Travel & Transport”