Don Mueang Airport

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Don Mueang Airport

Post by BobHelm » November 29, 2017, 12:00 pm

It has been a while since I have used Don Mueang & the last time it was still very much under construction & I felt it had a long way to go in order to be an airport to enjoy rather than endure.

I have now used it on a number of occasions for both domestic & international travel over the last couple of weeks & while some things are greatly improved there are still disappointments as well.

On disappointments....

Air Asia are still pushing all passengers through the same set of desks. This results in you queuing for the best part of an hour. On the Domestic side it is further complicated by you needing to print out your own boarding pass & luggage labels - with queuing for those machines as well.
In Da Nang airport (admittedly a far less busy affair) they still have individual desks for each flight. No queuing there & booked in within minutes.

On the return International flight we were bussed from the plane to the terminal, rather than docking at a gate. I think 'bussing' is bad enough on Domestic flights but on International flights it just gives a foreign visitor such a poor initial impression of the amateurishness of the country.

Improvements.

The Immigration process (in & out) has improved beyond recognition.
Both now have organised queuing channels with incoming passengers having their Immigration cards checked for completeness before being allowed to enter the queue rather than when they actually arrive in front of the Officer.
There were still queues on entry but they were organised & the number of Officers working seemed reasonable, rather than previous viewing of empty desks.
I queued for about 15 minutes on entry & not at all on exit, a vast improvement of previous visits.

The new Domestic terminal is now completed & is a huge improvement of the 'pit' of standing room only it replaces. Yes if you are going from Gate 55 or 56 it is a fair old walk, but there is more than adequate (& comfortable) seating when you get there, good quality toilets & food & drink (from a variety of companies) at every gate.

One last positive that is rather about Air Asia than the airport.
Yes, you need to be careful with Air Asia & read the small print in order not to be charged for extras. Also they have an unrealistic view of the time needed to turn their aircraft around & so just about all their flights take off late - which has an ever increasing time as the day wears on.
However I took off on my last flight to Udon yesterday morning only 10 minutes late. After we reached cruising height & the trolleys were being deployed we were greeted with the dreaded captain's announcement that we had computer problems & so were returning to Don Mueang.
That is worrying enough until you are back on terra firma, but then the worry becomes how long until they get you airborne again.
& there Air Asia excelled.
Within little time at all we were bussed to a new plane, luggage transfered & in the air.
My original landing time in Udon was 11:50 I actually arrived at 13:30. A great effort by them, I felt..

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Don Mueang Airport

Post by FrazeeDK » January 2, 2018, 1:51 pm

interesting article on expansion of international services to various airports within Thailand, particularly Udon.. It states that the "shadow demand" for international flights to Udon is justified by statistics that show 23% of incoming Don Mueang passengers fly on to Udon. You should be able to right-click "translate to English" depending upon your browser. https://m.posttoday.com/biz/gov/533185
Dave

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » May 7, 2018, 8:09 pm

I arrive airport 6pm suvarnabhumi airport. Last flight from there is too early to Udon I'll miss it
There is a flight from don mueng 8.30 pm bit tight to get there from 6pm
Am I right to say that is the last flight to Udon? 8.30pm? Any help welcome!

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 7, 2018, 9:10 pm

Don Muang arrival queue at immigration was more than an hour Friday afternoon. Despite the check upon entering the queue, the lady in front of us was told she was in the wrong line and to re-enter another queue. She was not impressed.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 8, 2018, 6:23 am

choi choi wrote:
May 7, 2018, 8:09 pm
I arrive airport 6pm suvarnabhumi airport. Last flight from there is too early to Udon I'll miss it
There is a flight from don mueng 8.30 pm bit tight to get there from 6pm
Am I right to say that is the last flight to Udon? 8.30pm? Any help welcome!
If the Last flight is 8.30 pm out of Don Meuang , forget it you will not make it , better to book into hotel for the night , and catch the early bird out of swampy on Thai Smile , there can be serious delays at swampy if your coming in on an international flight

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 8, 2018, 8:34 am

BobHelm wrote:
November 29, 2017, 12:00 pm
..........& there Air Asia excelled.
Within little time at all we were bussed to a new plane, luggage transfered & in the air.
My original landing time in Udon was 11:50 I actually arrived at 13:30. A great effort by them, I felt..
Yes, agree that was a fine effort to sort out another plane etc. in such quick time. In the most unlikely situation that Air Asia had a spare plane sitting there for such an eventuality, the negative was probably that somewhere down the line there was a plane cancelled, or had a long delay. Such is budget air travel.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 8, 2018, 9:21 am

The traffic around DM Airport is horrendous -- even at daybreak. It's easier to maneuver around Swampy than it is around DM. I avoid that area completely, which means I avoid it to fly, too.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 8, 2018, 9:55 am

Yep Last Flight into UTH From DMK Is Air Asia at 21.35hrs,Which means it leaves Don Muang ( DMK ) AT 20.30HRS But it's Often DELAYED By up to an Hour Sometimes.....

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » May 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

747man wrote:
May 8, 2018, 9:55 am
Yep Last Flight into UTH From DMK Is Air Asia at 21.35hrs,Which means it leaves Don Muang ( DMK ) AT 20.30HRS But it's Often DELAYED By up to an Hour Sometimes.....
Seems reasonable for late night low cost flight ?
Attachments
aasia.PNG
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Return to “Travel & Transport”