What motor cycle to buy

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackson
udonmap.com

What motor cycle to buy

Post by jackson » June 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

This question is a will have a few differing answers I understand that. I want to buy a motor cycle thats in th 100 to 125 cc.
range. I want an auto, preferably with the flat foot area instead of just the foot rest type and would like it to have some means of carrying a few groceries in a basket or saddle bags. Perhaps good resale value also and it being a 4 stroke for simplicity sake , but not essential as am very familiar with engines
Not being familiar with the popular models in Thailand, any helpful answers will be appreciated
Thanks

Stevo
udonmap.com

Re: What motor cycle to buy

Post by Stevo » June 2, 2017, 5:58 pm

The only one I would recommend that meets all your requirements is the Honda PCX 125.
No basket, but a cavernous storage space under the lockable seat, very comfortable, fuel injected 4 stroke auto, good resale value... the best of the automatic scooters (the 150cc version is even better).

example pic: This one is selling at ฿34,000
pcx.jpg

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » June 2, 2017, 6:37 pm

Thanks for your input and I will certainly Investigate that species. It will be interesting to just get a few other ideas but sound ok . How old is that one ? And km on clock?.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » June 2, 2017, 7:44 pm

Agree with Stevo that the PCX is the best for your needs.

As far as resale values go, Honda generally tend to fare better which, again makes the PCX the best bet.

Happy to help you out if needed.

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » June 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Many thanks for info I'll take a good look at them and may take up your offer shortly . How deep is the cavity under the seat roughly?

Regards

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 3, 2017, 2:25 am

The Yamaha Xerox is head and shoulders better than a PCX, handles better stops better and is a much more sensible price new.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 3, 2017, 9:44 am

i have always been a honda fan ,the pcx is indeed a good motorbike , but is a little behind in technology , they still do not have disk brake in the back and no ABS , so to me the brakes were always a bit fluffy....the price also has gone up without any major improvements...so for a change ...
i bought a yamaha nmax (150cc), with disk brake in the back and ABS ,and underneath the saddle you have a big storage , good bike but hard suspension , pcx suspension more comfortable ...
and then we have fe a yamaha grand filano , a comfortable scooter , with all updated technology , even drives on E85 gasoline , all depending what price range you want to buy and what type of bike ...honda click is a good bike too...
honda pcx + 82.000 baht?, nmax 72.000 baht , filano 52.000 baht incl porobo,basic insurance and plate....good luck ;)

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 3, 2017, 11:06 am

jackson wrote:This question is a will have a few differing answers I understand that. I want to buy a motor cycle thats in th 100 to 125 cc.
range. I want an auto, preferably with the flat foot area instead of just the foot rest type and would like it to have some means of carrying a few groceries in a basket or saddle bags. Perhaps good resale value also and it being a 4 stroke for simplicity sake , but not essential as am very familiar with engines
Not being familiar with the popular models in Thailand, any helpful answers will be appreciated
Thanks
Just this week got me n the mrs new Yamaha grand filano 125cc,big storage under seat that lights up when lifted,remote locking,good on fuel compared to my old mio.seat switch,gas switch and fills up in the front instead of fumbling around with keys and lifting the seat to fill up.very light to ride with good lighting.big soft seat and cool looking Vespa style with many colours,55,000 on the road.big yam dealer on the corner opersite night market.
Attachments
IMG_1680.JPG

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 3, 2017, 11:56 am

In my opinion, scooter types are much safer. I don't want my leg between the bike and any vehicle that T bones me. Likewise I don't want my leg between the bike and the pavement in case of a fall. You're not likely to lose a leg with your feet in front of you.

As far as a disk brake on the rear, that is no advantage. The back wheel has very little braking power and a drum brake is entirely adequate. The best solution for an emergency stop is an ABS front brake. Locking up the front wheel usually results in a fall. An ABS front brake is a life saver. That feature really should be mandatory on all bikes.

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » June 3, 2017, 12:52 pm

Thanks guys, there has been some good points brought out and I take note especially about the no steel framework to catch the leg if a crash of some sort , also about the abs on the front as the rear brake traditionally only does 40% of the braking due to weight shift forward anyway
All in all a helpful response

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 3, 2017, 1:05 pm

IMHO,Yer better on 4 Wheels than 2 HERE......

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 3, 2017, 1:22 pm

me I am old school..
motor up front, not some thing stuck to the back wheel, love bigger wheels and not wheelbarrow wheels, and no plastic luge cage either, if your gonna hit something then your to close, and generally you and the bike part company in an accident, believe me I know. kissed more tarseal than the Pope.

prefer Honda Wave, or Sprint.125cc or 150cc some have electric start, disc brake front, semi auto..basket on front...missus has a 20yr old Wave and still going strong, with very little maintenance applied..some secondhand on Bahtsold

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » June 3, 2017, 1:47 pm

My wife and mechanics are the technical experts - my background doesn't involve motorcycles and have fallen into Pan Motors through marriage. I have run the various points through them on skype today and all are valid.

As you said, there will be many different opinions and, it is a case of weighing up the pros and cons of each. Personally, as a buyer I would be more interested in commercial aspects and, the resale value and running costs would be of more importance. This would always put a Honda ahead in Thailand where the Thais clearly prefer them.

Consider what is most important to you though and, only buy from a reputable source.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 3, 2017, 2:29 pm

jackson wrote:Thanks guys, there has been some good points brought out and I take note especially about the no steel framework to catch the leg if a crash of some sort , also about the abs on the front as the rear brake traditionally only does 40% of the braking due to weight shift forward anyway
All in all a helpful response

Jackson,

I have bought a few bikes over the years, like a car the decision should be made on what you want to do and how you use it.
Do you want new or 2nd hand?
Zipping through traffic, cruising the ring road at pace, 2 up with the girl on the back, parking etc etc
Your frame size will determine what you buy, if your a big lad then you need some size in the sitting position. Most of the new bikes don't have the basket accessory but all have the hook to place the grocery bag, under the seat size varies but most are able to handle a big helmut. Will you missus use it, is she small?
PCX may be your go but I will be buying the Yamaha N155 next, just my choice for some thing different and the missus can handle it. We bought the Grand Filano 125 sometime back when they came out. Personally not my style but the girl likes it, plenty of get up and go. Only problem with that bike e found is in wet weather there is a electronic box that gets wet and she don't go then, hope the new model has this fixed, the Yamaha guy new about it in the first model.
Horses for courses , just go and sit on a few first, comfort and leg room is needed.
I reckon that bloke from Panmotors one of the sponsors would look after you big time.
Don't matter where you buy the Honda or Yamaha dealer will do the service.
Good luck.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » June 3, 2017, 3:55 pm

one thing i would say when buying a new motorbike is do a independent search on the model for any issues,just because its brand new out the shop doesn,t mean its free from design faults or issues,once bought and payed for doesn,t mean you can get a straight swap or replacement

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 3, 2017, 4:27 pm

Update on grand filano..just been out for a ride round the mountains and jungle.i filled the mrs up when I got the scooter last week.she got 240km for 140b.my 3 1/2 year old Yamaha mio 125i was very heavy and drank juice compared to these new ones.i think if your going to do many km your best off getting a new one as you'll save a fortune in gasoline.also I could only get a 100 baht in the mio where I get 140baht in the filano.so filling up half as many times with the extra fuel savings.i looked and notice I've got a on board computer,mileage,trip,litre/100km usage and average consumption and a little meter that the more you open the throttle the higher it goes.i thought my old mio was ok but now I look back it's been left behind with what new models are about now.fat tyres so more grip and less road vibration are also a thing to consider.to me a pcx don't warrant the extra cost and won't be as nimble or fuel efficient.

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » June 3, 2017, 4:30 pm

And seriously the next question is can I please have some info on personal accident insurance and m/c cover?
Over the years I was here last time ( for 7yrs) I did in fact have good cover with bupa ,full comprehensive but of course once I cancelled it to leave Thailand I cannot get it back.
So I remember reading about a man called Peter some time back and if my memory serves me correct he had a good recommendation re insurance.
So again a little contructive help re that insurance will be appreciated. Thanks in advance ,

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 3, 2017, 4:34 pm

747man wrote:IMHO,Yer better on 4 Wheels than 2 HERE......
Really,I would never of thought of that.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » June 3, 2017, 4:53 pm

@jackson,
You asked about the size of storage under the PCX seat... pics speak a thousand words:
IMG_0538.JPG
enough space for a 14" laptop, some waterproofs, tools, and a bit of shopping.
IMG_0556.JPG
Peter is still around as far as I know.. a good egg, will no doubt sort you out ok.
this is his Email addy I think [email protected]

jackson
udonmap.com

Post by jackson » June 3, 2017, 6:10 pm

Thanks Stevo.
Yes heaps of room, supprising really, and I will get in touch with Peter

Return to “Travel & Transport”