Driving in Laos

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Driving in Laos

Post by vincemunday » April 19, 2017, 2:51 pm

Me and the dear lady wife fancy travelling around Laos for a while and want to take our car or pickup. Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to? I own my cars outright which I'm told is a prerequisite?

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Driving in Laos

Post by BobHelm » April 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

You need to get a 'Passport' for the vehicle.
I believe that the only place you can do that is at the Licensing Department way down on the Sakon Nakhon road.
You then produce this (& your personal Passport etc.) both sides on the Friendship Bridge.

I understand that only the person named in the 'Passport' as the owner is permitted to drive.
You will undoubtedly need to get a new Insurance policy in order to be covered while in Laos.

Just my opinion, but personally I don't mind what side of the road I need to drive on, as long as the vehicle was also designed to drive on that side of the road.
I think driving 'on the wrong side of the road' for the design of the vehicle is a recipe for disaster - times 5 in SE Asia!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 19, 2017, 3:30 pm

I used to drive in Belgium, Holland and France regularly and when I was in Vientiane a few months ago it struck me how much better drivers they were than in UT so I'm not too worried, it can't be any worse than the Posri Road during rush hour lol. Thanks for your help.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

IDP required for the nominated driver ?

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » April 19, 2017, 5:37 pm

Vince, while you're in crossing into Lao. Stop at the shopping center at the boarder. They have new in the box iPhone 10's for 4200 baht! :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 19, 2017, 6:33 pm

The biggest problem you will have driving in Laos is in the hilly areas. Roads are often in bad shape so that it is necessary to drive on the side of the road of oncoming traffic. This is especially dangerous coming around curves in the mountains. This is why cars, trucks and buses feverishly honk their horns as they approach the turn in the road. You will notice the numerous pot holes and cracks in the roads in this region too. I think this was very bad on the Xiang Khoang to Vieng Vang road. Be careful and keep your eyes open.

However if you are going from Viang Chan to Paksan there should be few problems.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 19, 2017, 6:39 pm

randerson79 wrote:Vince, while you're in crossing into Lao. Stop at the shopping center at the boarder. They have new in the box iPhone 10's for 4200 baht! :D
Probably CHINESE Copies ??? :shock: :shock:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 20, 2017, 9:16 am

randerson79 wrote:Vince, while you're in crossing into Lao. Stop at the shopping center at the boarder. They have new in the box iPhone 10's for 4200 baht! :D
:confused: :confused: :confused: as the current iPhone is the iPhone 7 they are several years ahead of apple and guaranteed to be fake.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 20, 2017, 9:42 am

Lol he was being ironic, I went to landmark the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw iPhone 5's boxed for 5500 baht, he's gone to see if he could find them and they're nowhere to be seen so he's having a friendly dig. Mind, when I go there to collect the dear lady wife's phone and I find them I shall repay the compliment ;)

BerthaSamuel

Post by BerthaSamuel » May 18, 2017, 8:11 pm

Thanks for sharing this information.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » May 19, 2017, 10:37 am

I bought an I phone 5 from Central for 5,000 2 months ago

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 19, 2017, 11:04 am

the vehicle passport is known as the "Purple book".. Before driving all the way out to the big Land Transport Office in Nong Soong I'd suggest you check with the License/Land Transport office at AEK Udon.. While there you can also ask about getting an International Driver's Permit (IDP) if needed. As mentioned you'll need at minimum a Lao liability rider on your insurance.. Check with your insurance company to add that rider, I'm sure they'll have one.

I'm sure someone else here has driven their Thai registered car up into Laos. Any comments on potential hassles with Lao Customs/Immigration for vehicles IF you have your Vehicle Passport/IDP/insurance all in order?
Dave

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » May 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

No problems with taking your Thai car into Lao. Lots of paperwork when leaving Thailand but no hassle when entering Lao other than that you have to go and buy a Lao insurance.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » May 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Can the Insurance be bought for just the time spent in Laos ie not a year long policy, & how much does it cost?

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » May 22, 2017, 1:08 pm

You can buy insurance for the days you plan to spend in Lao, do not remember the price.

Return to “Travel & Transport”