Laying up a Honda for several months

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
vidmaster
udonmap.com

Laying up a Honda for several months

Post by vidmaster » February 6, 2017, 8:37 pm

Can anyone suggest what I should do before laying up & not using my Honda Wave for up to 6 months
I'm thinking mainly about battery & oil issues
Many thanks

Stevo
udonmap.com

Re: Laying up a Honda for several months

Post by Stevo » February 6, 2017, 9:50 pm

Oil will be ok, battery might be ok (Wave will kickstart with a dead battery anyway, but whether it will charge or not depends how good the battery is now... new ones are cheap enough).
Most important thing to do If you use the gasohol fuel, green 91 or orange 95 (pump colour not fuel colour) then you'll need to drain it all out before you leave. If you can find some Benzine 95 (yellow pump) fill the tank with that and run it for long enough to fill the fuel line and carb. The reason for doing this is that gasohol breaks down very quickly and it will gum up your carb within a few weeks.

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » February 6, 2017, 11:55 pm

vidmaster wrote:Can anyone suggest what I should do before laying up & not using my Honda Wave for up to 6 months
Many thanks
Donate it to a charity or school to raffle or something. Hardly worth keeping.

OT....... \:D/

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » February 7, 2017, 1:06 am

put grease on all the chrome bits remove battery gave all the cables a good greasing specially the levers.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » February 7, 2017, 6:24 am

Thanks vlad
Really useful info

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 8, 2017, 3:58 am

Put it on a maitenance trickle charger, fill with the best gasoline you can get, not gasohol and add a good fuel stabilizer. You will be good for a year or more.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » February 8, 2017, 6:08 am

Hi jaiyenyen
Thanks for info
What is a fuel stabiliser? & where can I buy it
Not got trickle charger, so will just disconnect battery

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 8, 2017, 6:34 am

vidmaster wrote:Hi jaiyenyen
Thanks for info
What is a fuel stabiliser? & where can I buy it
Not got trickle charger, so will just disconnect battery
A good brand of fuel stabilizer is called sea foam. I used to bring mine over to Thailand from Canada. Another one is called stabil, found in Canadian tire stores and automotive shops. A smart charger is only about 1000 baht and you will get 3 times the life out of your battery, even just disconnecting it will run down eventually. I loaded my wifes 2012 Ford Fiesta and her Honda Wave with sea foam a little over 2 years ago and they still start and run fine, used the best gas available and left chargers on both. I know it is a long time but we just have not been able to get back. She will be back in 3 weeks, hopefully everything is still ok.

WizzWanger67
udonmap.com

Post by WizzWanger67 » February 8, 2017, 8:48 am

seen it in,Do-home but would check tesco first

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 8, 2017, 9:47 am

If you leave fuel in the tank, benzine only. No additive crap.

Also put it on a trickle charger. Your battery will die.

If it sits too long, the weight of the bike will create a flat area on the tire where it maintained contact with the ground.

Get someone to start it once a week and run some fuel through it. Riding it a short distance and returning would be even better.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Haven't had to do that in a long time.

Good luck.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 8, 2017, 10:17 am

Lone Star wrote:If you leave fuel in the tank, benzine only. No additive crap.
I don't know why people in Thailand (both Thais and westerners) insist on calling gasoline "benzene," but it's not. They're two different things. Benzene is an additive which is added to gasoline during the refining process to reduce knock and increase octane. Because it's a carcinogen, its use is limited in most places globally by law or regulation. In the U.S., the benzene content in gasoline is limited to 0.62%. In Thailand, it's limited to 3.5%.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 8, 2017, 10:37 am

Udon Map wrote:
I don't know why people in Thailand (both Thais and westerners) insist on calling gasoline "benzene," but it's not. They're two different things. Benzene is an additive which is added to gasoline during the refining process to reduce knock and increase octane. Because it's a carcinogen, its use is limited in most places globally by law or regulation. In the U.S., the benzene content in gasoline is limited to 0.62%. In Thailand, it's limited to 3.5%.
I don't know why either, but I use the terminology used locally.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 8, 2017, 11:20 am

If it sits too long, the weight of the bike will create a flat area on the tire where it maintained contact with the ground.

Get someone to start it once a week and run some fuel through it. Riding it a short distance and returning would be even better.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Haven't had to do that in a long time.

Good luck.
Fuel stabilizers are not crap, I have used them for 30 years with good results. Mechanics recommend fuel stabilizer in anything that is to be stored for extended periods, do a little research on google.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 8, 2017, 11:31 am

jai yen yen wrote:

Good luck.
Fuel stabilizers are not crap, I have used them for 30 years with good results. Mechanics recommend fuel stabilizer in anything that is to be stored for extended periods, do a little research on google.
I never said a fuel stabilizer was crap. :)

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » February 8, 2017, 11:40 am

Udon Map wrote:I don't know why people in Thailand (both Thais and westerners) insist on calling gasoline "benzene," but it's not.
Try asking for petrol or gasoline at a filling station and you'll get a blank look! ask for benzene and you will be served petrol or gasoline. Even the price signage states benzene (this is an old pic but it clearly states 'benzene 91' in the red box)...
when in Rome, etc..
Where else in the world would you go to the veg market looking to buy a gourd, and have to ask the seller for for a fukk?
petrol-station-ptt.jpg
petrol-station-ptt.jpg (55.17 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » February 8, 2017, 12:34 pm

This is the best and most effective way, get a mate to take it in and start and as said give it a run once a week to maintain battery oil etc etc, far easier than leaving it standing for 6 mths.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » February 8, 2017, 12:39 pm

Lone Star wrote:
jai yen yen wrote:

Good luck.
I never said a fuel stabilizer was crap. :)
I thought was what you meant when you said no additive crap, no problem. :D

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 8, 2017, 1:14 pm

Not sure what the fuss is all about....Having lived in Hot South Florida over 20 years,, it was a no brainer to empty your gas tanks during storage. That also went for "weed wackers", edge tillers, lawn mowers, chain saws, anything that has gas in the tank. if you put gas in a tank and leave it in this heat, it will turn in a "like" lacure.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » February 8, 2017, 11:05 pm

Don't have anyone to start it every week nor trickle charger
Now confused about whether to leave tank full with Benz95 +stabiliser or empty
Will do the former & if wrong will change next year
Thanks for the replies & will let you know what happens when I return later this year

WizzWanger67
udonmap.com

Post by WizzWanger67 » February 8, 2017, 11:26 pm

JUST FILL WITH 95 YELLOW/GOLD COVER AND FORGET ABOUT IT,ITS A HONDA WAVE THE MOST RELIABLE BIKE IN THE WORLD

Return to “Travel & Transport”