Thai Airways new business plan

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » October 3, 2014, 11:08 am

Maybe they are finally listening!

THAI Smile Airways has ditched the planned shift to Don Mueang airport later this month as serious doubts emerged regarding justifying such a move.

Flag carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) is caught in a dilemma about whether to operate its budget airline entirely from Don Mueang or in conjunction with Suvarnabhumi, the capital's main international...

The earlier plan called for THAI Smile to complete the relocation to Don Mueang, at which it has partially operated since Aug 8 this year, by Oct 26.

Full Article: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tou ... ift-halted

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 3, 2014, 12:22 pm

Being a bit of a corporate strategy dinosaur I am stuck in the past with an old fashioned view about the hub and spoke business model used by many airlines – they tend to work rather better when the spokes are actually attached to the hub (like a bicycle wheel) :-k

It’s probably an age thing, but sadly I’ve been having a real struggle trying to grasp what the economic benefits to Thai Airways of having the spokes detached from the hub might be and also what the benefits would be for Thai Airways to exclude Thai Smile flights from its loyal customers in the ROP and Star Alliance programs #-o

Then again, I was never able to grasp how Dotcom companies (with no sales history) could be valued so highly in the market without investors losing their shirts or how Reaganomics could work without exploding US debt #-o
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 3, 2014, 2:46 pm

I wrote direct to Thai on this. Confirmed that Thai Smile remains in Swampy for Udon flights.

Will post the reply here asap.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 3, 2014, 4:37 pm

Good one wazza ....

countrybumpkin

Post by countrybumpkin » October 3, 2014, 4:54 pm

Well, I'm even more confused now. I'm flying BKK to Udon on 30 December with Thai Air. Got a call last week to say that flight will now go from DM AND I've been sent a new e-ticket confirming that.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 3, 2014, 5:31 pm

Just checked my 2 planned trips to Bangers,one end October and one in December,there are some flight time changes for both outbound and inbound but both specify through Swampy and not Don Muang.
So best check your preplanned trips on their website,booking ref and last name.Will have to amend a couple of the times so will get that done at Udon airport 8)

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » October 4, 2014, 8:37 am

THAI Smile Airways has ditched the planned shift to Don Mueang airport later this month as serious doubts emerged regarding justifying such a move. Flag carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) is caught in a dilemma about whether to operate its budget airline entirely from Don Mueang or in conjunction with Suvarnabhumi, the capital's main international airport.

Bangkok Post

\:D/
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 4, 2014, 11:06 am

This is what I got from Thai Airways the other day, it was a direct email to them asking whats going on etc

"Dear Mr. XXXX

THAI Smile operates - Don Mueang Airport to Chiang Mai , Phuket and Khon Kaen.

Other THAI Smile domestic routes will operate - Suvarnabhumi Airport to Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Had Yai, Krabi, and Surat Thani.

International THAI Smile route, Bangkok to/from Macau will operate at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Thank you for supporting THAI and THAI Smile.

Yours sincerely,
Boonraksa A
Asst. International Relations Manager
Customer Relations Service Department
Thai Airways International PCL

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 4, 2014, 11:50 am

Just wish they would make a decision and announce it formally instead of all the smoke and mirrors attitude.
I travel Thai... UD / BKK either way each month on a normal work roster but cant get a online booking November one way in either direction. The website is clear to book up until 25 26 oct then it has nothing showing error.
Just say yes or no and we can all choose accordingly on how we connect to international flights or book accommodation or in my case both.
Surely they know where they will be as you just should not be able to get slots immediately into a new location. Flight plans are not done daily and preplanned.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 4, 2014, 12:05 pm

Same as me Barney Im off to Honduras end of Oct, probably book BKK Airways so I don't need the hassles of taxis and tollways.

Then check into Thai for BKK LAX at Swampy.

Remember this is now being run by the Junta , so all new initiatives are from an Air Force General, whose back ground is NOT commercial airline activity / operations.

Reducing all the free Business Flights for the Thai Board members good idea !

Switching airports for budget operations, Bad idea

Im thinking that the backdown, has come from pressure within TOT also, as tourist numbers are well down.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 4, 2014, 12:16 pm

So much for customer service as never received the email about backing down,now have 5 flights to change times at the airport as they cannot seem to stick with flight schedule times at Udon :roll:
Marvellous tho can still enjoy the lounge at Swampy,load up on free magazines and cans of diet coke into my carry on luggage,great for decent toothpicks individually wrapped for better hygiene :shock: :badteeth: 8)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 4, 2014, 12:22 pm

Pomps

Does the ice last the trip. so the Archa in Udon is chilled on your way from the airport ?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 4, 2014, 12:30 pm

Still waiting for a decent business lounge at Udonsville airport,although 80 baht voucher gets me 2 Archas if wanted \:D/
Miss the imported beers that used to be supplied to a unit in the departure lounge by DM/Udontap \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 4, 2014, 12:36 pm

Pomps with those prices, U must be getting the 10% disc with a vest. ( Singlet in Oz )

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 4, 2014, 11:45 pm

In July I was considering booking a flight from Udon to Suvarnaphumi on Thai Smile, but decided to go with Bangkok Air rather than take a chance and end up in Don Muang. Now....several months later......I'm preparing to book a return flight from Suvarnaphumi to Udon..........and I don't want to end up needing to go to DM to make the connection.......so I'll take another pass on Thai Smile.
Sometimes you have to wonder what sort of banter goes on behind Thai Air business doors.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 5, 2014, 2:18 pm

Well, I'm going to try Bangkok Air, I think. I can't trust Thai Air any more, who's to say they won't change their minds again next week? We can now go back full circle to the OP and ask, 'where is the business plan?' I've a feeling there isn't one or at least it's heavily red-penned. ;)
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

countrybumpkin

Post by countrybumpkin » October 6, 2014, 10:59 pm

countrybumpkin wrote:Well, I'm even more confused now. I'm flying BKK to Udon on 30 December with Thai Air. Got a call last week to say that flight will now go from DM AND I've been sent a new e-ticket confirming that.
As you were! Got another call from the Agent today to say it's back at Swampy now :-s :-s :-s

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 7, 2014, 8:46 am

Just back from Udon airport,yet more alterations to flight times :shock: but the ones below are for Winter 2014, period 26 October until 28 March 2015 :D
Took me 5 mins to find a parking space at 8am,gawd knows what the airport parking is like during peak hours :yikes:

Flights from Udon to Swampy
tg2003 dep 08.40 - 09.40
tg2005 dep 12.30 - 13.30
tg2007 dep 15.10 - 16.10
tg2009 dep 19.20 - 20.20

Flights from Swampy to Udon
tg2002 dep 07.05 - 08.10
tg2004 dep 10.55 - 12.00
tg2006 dep 13.35 - 14.40
tg2008 dep 17.45 - 18.50

Their computers have not been updated yet so I have to recheck they have successfully changed my flights in 3 days.
For all those loyal Thai supporters, bear with them :^o :D 8)

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » October 7, 2014, 11:28 am

I sent an email to Thai's office in Stockholm, Sweden asking for a reason why it was not possable to book flights from Swampy to Udon in January 2015. Got an answer yesterday that said: "Please wait, Thai is currently re-directing the Udon flights back to Suvarnabhumi" =D>
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » October 7, 2014, 11:35 am

There was only one lady at the Thai office and the 3 customers before me did not look happy with all that has been going on,bit of a mess up :roll:
Did read that they will review Don Muang after the winter period so end of March 8)

Return to “Travel & Transport”