International Drivers License

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Chopper
udonmap.com

Post by Chopper » July 4, 2013, 11:46 am

I am Australian and have a valid five year Thai drivers license, issued here in Udon. Does anybody know whether I can get an International Drivers License issued here, on the basis of my Thai license?

Cheers,
Chopper

ddavisksa
udonmap.com

Post by ddavisksa » July 4, 2013, 11:50 am

i think the company is called Smart Drive. If you are on the ring road coming from home pro going towards big C, then you would turn left at the first set of lights after home pro. Big sign on the corner

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » July 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

As I understand it you may be able to obtain an International driving permit at (some?) Transport offices based upon your Thai driving license. It will be valid in all countries accepting one year IDPs except Thailand and the country where you hold your citizenship

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 4, 2013, 12:07 pm

I tried to get an international license and was told that since I am not Thai, I cannot get one. Even though I also have a Thai driving license. I was told you need to apply in your country of citizenship.

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » July 4, 2013, 12:36 pm

If you look at the last part of this page It say clearly that a foreigner can apply for it if the criteria’s is met.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=88

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 4, 2013, 1:39 pm

Yes you can. You'll needyour Thai D/L, 2 pics, and letter from Immigration/your embassy attesting to your current address and copy of your passport. If married Thai ID Card and House Book. All done quickly andefficiently at the drivers license office in Non Soon (south of UT).
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Chopper
udonmap.com

Post by Chopper » July 4, 2013, 6:07 pm

Many thanks folks....reckon I should be able to get one here it seems.

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » July 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

We just received ours thru Star visa in Chiang Mai, requirements much like stated above. We were in town and have used this company for other things so let them handle it.. I have a Thai license plus we submitted my passport, couple photos and yellow book.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 17, 2013, 5:38 am

One thing appertaining to UK law if you are a citezen of the UK and hold or had held a driving licence and you are / were banned , obtaining a IDS would be seen as a way of circumnavigating the ban hence you would be dealt with as driving without a licence while banned . The fact that one can apply for a Thai IDS is ok if your current DL has expired in the normal course of events out of date or just plain age related.
The Thai authorities do not ask the question are you banned in your own country and they have neither the skills nor the inclination to check the country you are intending to drive in. many countries UK included would allow you to drive for a short period on your Thai licence but you MUST ensure you are legally allowed to drive ( ie not banned ) . Just a thought as years ago i dealt with many people who had gone to Europe obtained a DL from there and then an IDS so they could get around their ban in the UK, that loophole was closed. So better safe than sorry, no pioint in a holiday being spoilt by the officious police in your own country I say.

tammakhun
udonmap.com

Post by tammakhun » November 28, 2013, 6:17 pm

A trip report. I did this recently with no hassle at all.

I read this thread to see what I needed. Then I printed the page provided:
http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=88

I needed:

1. Passport
- +a. Copy of photo page of passport.
- +b.Copy of most recent extension of stay page
2. 5-Year license
- +a. copy of license front and back showing on the same page.
3. 2 Photos
4. Residence Letter
5. House Book (Tabien Baan) that matches the address of my drivers license (my names not in it)
- +a. Photo copy of the main page from this signed by main owner of house.
6. Matching Thai National ID card in same name as the house book.
- +b. a signed copy of their ID.

I didn't actually have the last 3 things on the list. 5a, 6, and 6a. They sent me to desk for interview anyways. And here's the policy that the lady who was friendly explained. If you have a drivers license in country of your citizenship you can't get an international drivers permit from anywhere else. If your Thai drivers license is the only one you have then it is her decision.

It clearly felt like an interview, as sitting at a desk as she looks at paper work flips through visa pages, asks what I do for work, etc. When I last had a license in home country etc. I had my soon to be 3 year old, who is half Thai, using my iphone learning Thai alphabet pushing buttons and repeating them etc. That she thought was cute or w/e. Not sure if it this mattered but I was out of there in 20 minutes with International Drivers Permit in hand.

Cost 505 Baht

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 28, 2013, 6:30 pm

It's always been said over the years that Rules change on a daily basis and all dependent on the Person you see on that day :?

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 29, 2013, 7:58 am

Hi,
Spot on Ard. When I went to boss man at Udon DL center, showed him my British DL and asked how long I can drive in LOS on this lic. he checked his computer and said 12 months sir, If you leave the country in this time, when you return you are allowed another 12 months.
So if you want to waste your money in getting a IDP it is up to you. It must be got in your home country, In my case costs 15GBP plus 800GBP or me to get home, I cannot send photos as they take the photos at the DL center, like here. also cannot be used in the country of issue. So all that is needed is a trip across the bridge every 12 months. A IDP is not a lic. and must used with a valid driving lic. The police here will accept a IDP without seeing your DL, it has happened to me.. But if you have a accident this is a different kettle of fish. And the s--t could hit the fan.
Just had a look at my home DL, it expires in April next year, so looks like a trip home is required.
As I say to all, visit the DLC and check with them as to what THEY require. Could save a lot of hassle.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 23, 2015, 1:50 pm

ddavisksa wrote:i think the company is called Smart Drive. If you are on the ring road coming from home pro going towards big C, then you would turn left at the first set of lights after home pro. Big sign on the corner
Anyone get a IDL through SmartDrive recently?
What did you need to bring, and what was the cost?
UFF DA!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » February 23, 2015, 2:02 pm

I got my & my wife's International Driving license through Phuket & have showed to the police several times after being stopped in Thailand & Indonesia with no problems. It can all be done through the Internet & they post it to you by EMS. See the link http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the link Pal!
UFF DA!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 23, 2015, 3:49 pm

pal52 wrote:I got my & my wife's International Driving license through Phuket & have showed to the police several times after being stopped in Thailand & Indonesia with no problems. It can all be done through the Internet & they post it to you by EMS. See the link http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/
I would be very careful about getting what purports to be an International Driving Permit (IDP) through this mob.

They say on their website:
The International Driver's document issued by the International Automobile Association is a translation of a national driver's license which allows the motorist to drive in different territories without experiencing difficulties with various language barriers.
From the International Automobile Association website:
The Unofficial International Driving Document issued by the International Automobile Association is a translation of a national driver's license which diminishes the difficulties connected with various language barriers and adds comfort to the motorist’s journeys in different territories. However our Unofficial International translation of driver's license has no official status and does not confer any legal privileges or rights on consumers. International Driving Permit issued by government agencies or private organizations designated by a country's government are the only official translations of a person driver's license.

https://idl-iaa.com/
From the British Automobile Association website:
Is an IDP the same as an International Driving Licence (IDL)?

No. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document and will not enable you to meet national requirements to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP).

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/
:shock: [-(

The correct place to get an IDP in Thailand is here - as stated earlier: http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=88

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

From my expereince if you are a british natioanl ( is have a British Passport ) unless you have NEVER HELD a british Driving Licence in the UK you must use it. If it is expired so is your permission unless you can prove you live overseas permanently.
While this sounds silly there was a time when you could get banned in the Uk go to Germany get a German driving Licence and get a International driving Licence and then come back and drive in the UK. That loophole has been stopped.

Likewise living in Thailand you need a International Driving Licence not a permit to drive in the UK. Anything could ensure you spend considereable time in a Police Station sorting things out. But the bottom line unless you can prove you live permanently overseas you should drive on your British driving licence.years ago many copers were unaware but with the EEC and all those other countries coming to the UK not only are the Police switched on but the Insurance Companies are as well, so NOT being careful and making sure you have the right documentation can lead you to be paying out vast sums. DSo not forget british law, is if you are illegal in any way you should not be there, therefore the accident etc is your fault. unlike here offering anything else is arrestable and a term of incarceration.
Be wise be safe and above all be careful.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 23, 2015, 5:45 pm

jackspratt wrote:
The correct place to get an IDP in Thailand is here - as stated earlier: http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=88
Thanks Jack.
I was looking for a easier way to pick up a IDP, but going to the DLT looks like the only legit way to do it.
I decided against using the Phuket website when I saw the price - 5500 to 6500 baht! :shock:

Also came across this:
International driving licenses
Recently, I have seen advertisements from a company called “International Automobile Association Inc” offering international driving licenses valid for six to 10 years.

Are these driving licenses legal in Thailand? Will they be recognized by the police here?

Tuesday, May 3, 2005 10:46:11 AM “These licenses are illegal. They are not valid in Thailand, and so will not be accepted by the police.

It is possible that there are “International Automobile Association Incs” in other countries, but a license from them would not apply in Thailand.

The only international driving licenses that are valid in Thailand are those of a type approved by the Transportation Office.” Tuesday, May 3, 2005 10:46:11 AM Teerayuth Prasertphol, Chief Technical Officer, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO). - See more at: http://legacy.phuketgazette.net/issuesa ... 7Fdi1.dpuf
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 23, 2015, 5:54 pm

Khun Paul wrote:From my expereince if you are a british natioanl ( is have a British Passport ) unless you have NEVER HELD a british Driving Licence in the UK you must use it. If it is expired so is your permission unless you can prove you live overseas permanently.

Thanks for your input Paul.
I'm going back to the US for a visit, and my US license has expired.
I don't believe that the US has this same law, but I'll do some research before going to make sure.
UFF DA!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 23, 2015, 9:00 pm

pal52 wrote:I got my & my wife's International Driving license through Phuket & have showed to the police several times after being stopped in Thailand & Indonesia with no problems. It can all be done through the Internet & they post it to you by EMS. See the link http://phuketdir.com/intlicense/
Only thing about that is that it is not legal. There is no legal international driving licence. Anyone selling one is just a scam artist.

The police may have not bothered to check carefully and just wanted to see something that looked good but if you ever have a serious accident or the police check properly. Then you will have a real problem if your home country licence is not legal in Thailand. Your insurance will be void, as a requirement is to have a driving licence. You will have been driving without a valid driving license and so whatever penalty goes with that will apply

The only valid licences are the ones that the DLT issue or the ones they accept. My Japanese licence is OK with an IDP my UK licence by itself may not be as it is still the green paper one.

From the AA (UK)
An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document and will not enable you to meet national requirements to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP).
PS sorry I missed the other replies making the same points
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Travel & Transport”