Car rental Udon or Laos

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Dave450

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Dave450 » April 20, 2013, 8:58 pm

G,day,
I am coming over to see my GF and we're planning a trip to Laos. I have the double entry visa from the Thai Consulate in Hobart and I have booked places to stay in Laos at Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang and I was half way thru booking the car the other night and decided to call the 1800 number. It turns out you cant take any Thai rental over the border at Nong Khai?? I was planning on driving from KutChap to Nong Khai and then into Laos and do sight seeing in the rental.
Not sure what to do now as the Laos rentals are alot more expensive and huge cars.
I guess there is a bus from Udon?
I will be sending my pass port to the Laos Embassy before I leave Tassie.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Is it worth the hassle or drive around this side of the Mekong? Last time we did 5000 kms all over the north and it was great.
Thanks; Dave

Svein66
udonmap.com

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Svein66 » April 20, 2013, 10:05 pm

Dave450 wrote:It turns out you cant take any Thai rental over the border at Nong Khai??
That`s right! You can not rent a car in Thailand and take it to another country, and I don`t think that`s a thai thing, as you can`t take a rented car in Norway to another country either.

Dave450

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Dave450 » April 21, 2013, 12:10 am

Svein66 wrote:
Dave450 wrote:It turns out you cant take any Thai rental over the border at Nong Khai??
That`s right! You can not rent a car in Thailand and take it to another country, and I don`t think that`s a thai thing, as you can`t take a rented car in Norway to another country either.
I dont think its a "Thai thing" I was looking for help?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by trekkertony » April 21, 2013, 4:42 am

Hi Dave,

Europecar quote $78 AUD for day hire inclusive of insurance and $70 per day for a 7 day hire. The vehicles available are on their website. All vehicles are required to be returned to Vientiane at completion of hire.
The following exerpt may assist in deciding whether to self drive or hire a car with driver.

[quote]Unlike in Thailand, traffic in Laos drives on the right. Many of the roads have been paved in recent years but only a few main roads are suitable for driving at night. Travelling from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, which is in the north of the country, takes more than nine hours. Highway 13 takes you all the way there and is sealed and in good condition. Many travellers prefer to make a stop at Vang Vieng for a night before continuing the journey to Luang Prabang. The scenery from Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang is stunning taking you through mountainous landscape and lush forest. Watch out for the hairpin bends in the mountains.[/quote]

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Aardvark » April 21, 2013, 9:22 am

Can't answer your question Dave, but from what I've heard it's not worth the hassle. Maybe an alternative would be a Boat Trip down the Mekong. Here's a report from a couple of years ago .... https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... wAZHpB9www

danchatka
udonmap.com

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by danchatka » April 21, 2013, 10:40 am

I took a bus from Vientiane to Luang Prabang a few years ago. The mountain roads are narrow. Many bus and truck drivers take dangerous risks to pass other vehicles. If you can't drive a rented car to those places, maybe it's a good thing. Maybe it will keep you alive. Personally, next time I visit Vang Vieng or Luang Prabang, I'll fly. Then rent a car or motorbike while in the cities.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Svein66 » April 21, 2013, 12:06 pm

Dave450 wrote:
Svein66 wrote:
I dont think its a "Thai thing" I was looking for help?
You got help, I answered your question! And you looked surprised that Thailand don`t give you take a rented car to another country, so I told you it`s not a thai thing! Jesus... :?

Dave450

Car rental Udon or Laos

Post by Dave450 » April 21, 2013, 8:31 pm

Much appreciate ur thoughts, thanks alot!!

Return to “Travel & Transport”