EVA Air NO SHOW

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Jai
udonmap.com

EVA Air NO SHOW

Post by Jai » July 11, 2010, 6:07 pm

EVA Air Flight CKV88S 9.30 pm
London HR- Thailand BKK 9 June. Return trip

Whilst I understand that Planes do sometimes get cancelled I was however surprised to find, upon arriving at Heathrow Airport, that no representative from EVA Air was available for the cancelled flight. Not only that but no contact emergency number for EVA Air was (or is) available –outside of hours 9-5 for these situations at London airport either. Not only do the authorities at Heathrow have no after hours contact phone number for EVA Air, but when directed to the American Airlines desk that look after the EVA Air flights West bound –they also don’t have an afterhours Emergency number.

They (American Air) were polite and efficient, & they assured me that if a flight had been cancelled, there would certainly be a representative on hand so I could take a seat and they would find that representative to advise me. They came back some 40 minutes later to confirm that indeed everyone had gone home. I had the options of booking into a London Hotel—an area that I really don’t know so well or taking a Thai air flight that was leaving around that time. I took that, when it arrived in BKK 12 hours later I phone EVA Air who said that an e-mail had been sent out 3 days before and they would get back to me….. The mail—I found latter-- had indeed been sent out, but I was in an area that made it hard for me to access an internet, and they do have a phone number for me. EVA Air Travel didn’t get back to me, then or after subsequent calls, the person responsible was always it seems—not available at that time. – also the travel agent that I purchased the ticket had a message from them that they would look into it in about a month or so.

The agent said the flight was cancelled because no one wanted to come to BKK---well I did & you did sell me a ticket too actually.

I took this to be the Usual way Thai businesses solve their problems, so I detailed everything –and even suggested that as I make the flight every year they can just roll the return over to my next flight, and then sent the letter registered to the head office Taiwan--- 3 weeks ago, I not only did not get any response, I didn’t even get a confirmation that I had sent a letter.

I had enjoyed flying EVA Air--- liked the idea of their Elite class, now it looks like I have to wage a battle with them just to get back what I am indeed entitled to.

http://www.claimsfinancial.co.uk/consum ... 02976.aspx

I didn’t book into a luxury hotel, claim meals or half the other stuff that this consumer link tells me I am entitled to do.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: EVA Air NO SHOW

Post by Stantheman » July 11, 2010, 7:45 pm

Jai wrote:EVA Air Flight CKV88S 9.30 pm
London HR- Thailand BKK 9 June. Return trip
... I took this to be the Usual way Thai businesses solve their problems ......., so I detailed everything –and even
You must remember that EVA Air is not a Thai business, it is Taiwanese company, and it may be the way they solve their problems. Next time you might do what I do and verify the day prior, and day of travel, that there is no problems with your flight as these type problems occur with almost all the major airlines.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 11, 2010, 8:00 pm

After flying Thai Air all the time, I gave EVA a shot 2 years ago. I was disappointed with EVA coming and going. It's Thai Air all the time for me.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » July 12, 2010, 12:36 am

Stantheman wrote: it is Taiwanese company,
Chinese company ........ based in Taiwan ;)

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » July 12, 2010, 1:47 am

Jai wrote:The agent said the flight was cancelled because no one wanted to come to BKK
But TAT says different ! :^o
As it happens, I've just had a questionaire from EVA, and on the suggestions for improvements I put down the lack of a manned counter at Heathrow except for very limited hours.
Serious though, that's bad service, and from a carrier that I prefer to travel with (EVA). This next trip I'm flying Qatar from Manchester - Doha - BKK, only because the flight times are better for me on this trip, but it's given me a reminder to confirm the flights before the day.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 12, 2010, 3:29 am

panick wrote:
Stantheman wrote: it is Taiwanese company,
Chinese company ........ based in Taiwan ;)
I still will call it a Taiwanese Company, see following from Wikipedia, but 6 of one half a dozen of another, no big deal :D

"In September 1988, during the 20th anniversary celebration of Evergreen Marine Corporation’s founding, company chairman Chang Yung-fa announced his company’s intentions to establish Taiwan’s first private international airline.[4] The opportunity to create a major Taiwanese airline had just arisen following a decision by the Taiwanese government to liberalise the country’s air transportation system.[4][5] Government requirements still mandated global experience and financial capital requirements for any company seeking permission to initiate international airline service from Taiwan.[6]

Upon recipient of regulatory approval, EVA Airways Corporation was formally established in March 1989.[6] The airline was originally to be called Evergreen Airways,[7] however this was deemed too similar to the unrelated Evergreen International cargo airline.[8] In October 1989, the newly-formed EVA Airways Corporation placed a US$3.6 billion order for 26 aircraft from Boeing and McDonnell Douglas, including Boeing 747-400 and MD-11 airliners.[7]

Operations began on 1 July 1991 with a small fleet of EVA Air Boeing 767-300ER aircraft featuring business and economy class seating.[8][9] Initial destinations from Taipei were Bangkok, Seoul, Jakarta, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur.[8] By the end of the year, the EVA Air network had expanded to include additional cities in East Asia and its first European destination, Vienna.[8] First year revenues reached US$40 million.[8] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 12, 2010, 6:22 am

I had an Eva Air flight from LHR to BKK canceled last June. I found out about it after ringing the BKK office to ask why there was no record on my booking on their website. I find it unbelievable that they said no one wants to go to BKK because they had trouble re-booking my flight because all flights were full.
I always book-in on line one day before a flight to confirm flight and seat.

henke53

Post by henke53 » July 12, 2010, 7:52 am

i've never flew with them before but i was planning on later this year. might give them a miss now.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 12, 2010, 10:37 am

WBU ALUM wrote:After flying Thai Air all the time, I gave EVA a shot 2 years ago. I was disappointed with EVA coming and going. It's Thai Air all the time for me.

The same with us, Thai was full when we wanted to go, got a flight with EVA. Leagues behind Thai for service and comfort.

Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Jai » July 12, 2010, 6:33 pm

Hi Stantheman…… Thank you for the cut and paste on EVA Air History, it is indeed a Taiwan airline—however it is a Thai owned and run company in Thailand that you deal with here.

G.S.I Commercial. This is relation only to the booking and movement of passengers from Thailand. I don’t think they have anything to do with the aircraft. This is the face of EVA for Thai Passengers, This until I hit the Blogs to-day was the company that -(it seemed to me ) were ignoring me.

12 hours after I placed my letter on Udon map/ Thai Visa / Teak Door etc ….7 other sites, I heard direct from G.S.I & from EVA London. That they are reviewing this and will contact me.

Henke53… ….I wouldn’t want to put you off EVA Air…I am not trying to tip a bucket on them I have flown with them on and off for over 8 years, I can’t think that I have had any bad service---but then I never had a cancelation before, this time.

Mally…& Galee ….yes it has made me want to confirm flights also the day before---however their own site does say there is no need for this---& contacting EVA by phone is a very long wait---I didn’t have access to internet.
With the “no one wants to come to BKK comment” this came from the ticket agent, not EVA, they (EVA) have given no reason for the cancelation.

The Thai airline flight that I took in place of EVA had very few passengers.—I think 84 in the whole plane. If it’s a commercial decision to cancel a flight----then that’s understandable & as long as the passengers are properly catered for, no real cause for compliant—I have been upset at what appeared to be a blank wall every time I phoned. G.S.I or wrote to EVA.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 12, 2010, 10:33 pm

On a similar theme with the OP on EVA...
I was due to fly back on the 14th. I have a 3 month ticket & when I obtained had no idea when I would actually be able to fly back. As it turns out the 14th. is too early so I phoned EVA to change.
No problem.....but had no available seats from 28th. July to 4th. August. So I am on stand by for which flight they can get me on. The London office said 'This is the busy season'....well yes, holiday season in UK for sure, but to Thailand???
So passengers in June are told 'No demand', passengers in July 'Too much demand'....wonder which is correct :D
The office would have been happy to upgrade me - if I paid as much for the upgrade as I paid for 1 way anyway... :( :shock: Told them I would kindly reject that offer... :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 12, 2010, 10:58 pm

Just used EVA for the first time...out in front Of THAI (whom i always sang praises about and used for 20 years) Newer better aircraft (THAI flying the old crates from London)...Better Food...Better entertainmant (Barely None on THAI)...Good Looking staff (THAI and Chinese) on board where good, food good beer cold...left 1 hour late arrived 15 minutes early not 1 negative imo....check in was same same as any other flight....then again if i turned up and no one was there with no flight with no help i might be saying differant and that is the test i s'pose see how good they are when things go wrong, (I must add THAI have always been good from date changes, delays to running over and crushing my childs buggy ) .. as an experianced traveller you do need to check websites to see if things are running ok...So EVA So Far So Good.

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » July 13, 2010, 4:19 am

beer monkey wrote: EVA So Far So Good.
That's the same with me, I much prefer EVA to Thai for the same reasons as Beer Monkey. No comparison in the standard of the 'planes.
A pal of mine who has just returned from his latest trip to LOS had his flight out cancelled and was rebooked on a different day. He was with China Air , Manchester - Amsterdam - BKK, but he was well informed of the cancellation. Seems a few carriers are cancelling flights, so checking before is a must now.
This must be hurting tourism much more than the Thais are admitting to.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 13, 2010, 6:19 pm

My sister-in-law flew with Eva end of june to Bangkok- she was told no seats in july as well - maybe they are using less planes? Have heard of some Thai cancellations in June.

Flatlander
udonmap.com

Post by Flatlander » July 13, 2010, 8:17 pm

I found this article at a Dutch website and translate it with Google-translate.
I don't know it's any helpfull because translation with Google not always good.

"You hear it quite often lately. Flight of China Airlines and Eva Air from Amsterdam to Bangkok or vice versa has been canceled.
What it is I am not entirely clear. You will receive an SMS from the carrier or a mail with the announcement that the originally scheduled flight was canceled or that you will be rebooked on an earlier or later flight. The travel agent where you purchased the ticket you will receive a similar message.

Lack of information carrier

What amazes me is that you will not be further informed about your rights as a potential passenger. Because they're there. And let's face it, a contract of carriage that you have entered with a carrier, which paid for the ticket amount the carrier has the obligation recorded for you on the appointed day and time from A to B, can one party to that agreement not be unilaterally changed. An agreement should be respected by the parties, failing which one party (the victim) the other (non-performing carrier) in principle is entitled to demand payment of compensation for failure or poor performance of the contract.

Airlines China Airlines and Eva Air

They are generally non-European airlines are guilty, but especially the two Taiwanese companies, which one day and the other three weekly direct flights from Amsterdam to Bangkok. These are China Airlines and Eva Air. These companies are both registered office in Taiwan, so a country outside the EU.

Cancellation of a flight

Cancel or rebook these companies do regularly if it were the normal thing in the world. Or passenger, so she'll be let down a ----. Perhaps something is customary in Taiwan, but here it is different. To my knowledge they have not been a passenger with a delay of more than three hours, a cancellation or rebooking is confronted compensated. Why would they do? It may be because they cost money. And while the passenger is not inconsistent, perhaps because he or she is not aware of the regulations on delays, cancellations and rebooking, these companies do so well but do nothing.

Real reason for cancellation

At first I thought this might have to do with economic reasons, such as utilization of the aircraft. These flights are not profitable and apparently the reason for these airlines to cancel flights, but the passenger or to place a fait accompli of a rebooking. You can a few days earlier or later flight.

I understand now that this is not the reason, but the fact that a few years earlier China's airspace for them have opened, and thus lucrative flights to and from mainland China to perform. So checkout these companies and a hangover for the passenger due to the expansionism of the Taiwanese regularly confronted with delays, cancellations and rebooking.

What are your rights?

But this may just? Can an airline with impunity a pure contract of carriage, whereby one party ticket by paying the amount already in his or her obligation under the Agreement have been fulfilled, unilaterally change? I do not think so.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, think of strikes, extreme weather, etc., the carrier is obliged to implement its part of the agreement, namely the obligation to the passenger from A to B. A carrier who is guilty is in principle liable for damages.

EU rules on delays, cancellations and rebooking of flights

In respect of consumer protection - passenger - the European Court of Justice on November 19, 2009 issued a directive or sharpened and declared applicable in terms of delays, cancellations and rebooking of flights. This directive must be complied with by the airlines and are applied by the governing bodies in the States, said the Court;

This scheme applies to:

a) all flights in the EU (European Union);
b) all flights from the EU;
c) all flights to the EU operated by European airlines.

ad a) seems obvious and needs no further argument in my view.

Ad b) In this case it does not matter if the flight is conducted by a European or
not a European airline. Think then of flights from Amsterdam to Bangkok, for example exported by China Airlines and Eva Air.

ad c) in this case should involve flights from an airport outside the EU has begun and a final destination within the EU. Consider this a flight of KLM, Air France or Air Berlin to Bangkok or Amsterdam, Paris or Düsseldorf. These companies are in fact located in the EU, the flight begins at an airport outside the EU - Bangkok - and the final destination is an airport within the EU - Amsterdam.

Conclusion

This in a nutshell is a brief summary of the rules issued by the European Court of Justice and which necessarily applies to flights as stated above. Want to read the rules, you can. Then check http://www.rechtspraak.nl and then go to statements or else go Googling.

There are also several agencies that are active on the Internet and their services (assistance) on a no cure no pay offer, in case you unexpectedly with a delay, cancellation or rebooking is facing. Those agencies have the expertise and are now many passengers who confronted these matters."

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 14, 2010, 8:13 am

Surely there is nothing to stop one buying a single ticket from Bangkok to London, and then a separate ticket, a single (or even a return to BKK and back to LHR) from London back to Bangkok for a later (return) date.

No problem with having to show a visa if the return ticket from Uk to Thailand was a single surely, if you have a valid visa and re-entry permit. Even if you were taking your partner, you could show that you had a return ticket to Thailand for her, when checking in on your first outward leg.

When I did some checking of prices on the above basis, it still worked out cheaper than buying a return from BKK to London!

Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Jai » July 14, 2010, 12:49 pm

Thank you for that Flatlander .

This is a link for UK passengers re their rights—etc,

http://www.claimsfinancial.co.uk/consum ... 02976.aspx

I have not lived in the UK since the 60s, although in the last 10 years I visit annually. One of the most surprising things for me with this exercise, was to find they don’t have a consumer’s institute one can just complain to as such.—I mean one place where a consumer can just write to --- I understand now why the BBC. TV program “Watchdog” is so popular there, Most countries have the just the one stop complaints. It seems to be the UK, has dozens all doing niche work..

They have the Acts passed
• Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977
• Sale of Goods Act 1979
• Consumer Protection Act 1987
• Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
• Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
• Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002
• Enterprise Act 2002
• General Product Safety Regulations 2005
• Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

---but with so many different dept to go to. And a lot of the consumer protection centers on Gov dept making sure that there is free competition…correct pricing etc
They have different dept for banking compliant or a defective article compliant, and I found now a separate depts. to cover travel complaints---one for Rail one for shipping etc The Air travel complaints is covered by a dept called the AUC http://www.auc.org.uk/

Quite a " yes minister".

Arjay….I had never considered buying separate tickets to be honest, I will look at pricing them, we should point out to people without a current Visa stamp in there passport, that an airline can refuse to take you on a single ticket.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 14, 2010, 3:48 pm

I have done some more checking and pricing up on booking separate legs/flights, and must admit that it is marginal. With some airlines it didn't work at all, with some it was marginal. It started to work better, if one purchased a single back to the UK (original home country), and then booked a return back to Thailand (i.e. to Thailand and then back to the Uk again).

The overall situation varies according to airlines and countries.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 14, 2010, 4:10 pm

Jai wrote: we should point out to people without a current Visa stamp in there passport, that an airline can refuse to take you on a single ticket.
I always fly back on the second piece of a BKK-LHR-BKK ticket - so, in effect, a 'single' when i am returning to BKK. EVA always check my passport for the visa stamp. I am reasonably sure that they would not let me on the plane without it.

Philip101
udonmap.com

Post by Philip101 » July 16, 2010, 5:43 pm

Im supprised to hear about a disapointing experience with EVA air, iveflow with them twice, ounce in pemium economy which is a bit of a waste of money and their business class which i thought was fantastic for the price.

Thai air= OLD and when i mean old i mean OLD aircaft

Eva air= brand new 777's, the service is on par with every other airline, thai airways service is great, but i wouldnt pay extra for it.

the last time i flew thai, i was coming back for BKK, the speaker was broken so when the captain/steward spoke it blew out a high pitched noise which made everyone cover their ears. Then when we landed one of the overhead compartments banged open and somebodys bag smashed onto the floor.

But everyone forgives thai airways, any other airline who had planes as old as theres would get slated, thai just seem to have something special.

saying that, my next trip im probably going to fly Thai ONLY because you get there about 6/7am which is fanstic for any connnecting flight i want to get.

oh and while im here, can anyone ask someone whos flying business class with thai and is spending £3000????

sorry, the MAXIMUM i would pay is £1900. Eva air charge about 1500/1600 and qatar (fantastic business class) charges about 1800

Return to “Travel & Transport”