US credit card rejected by AirAsia, NokAir

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Green Grasser

US credit card rejected by AirAsia, NokAir

Post by Green Grasser » August 31, 2009, 5:06 am

Following up my inquiries and plan to Udon Thani after a week in Bangkok to see an old friend (see http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/b ... 14944.html ), I am now in the process of making reservations.

A hotel reservation is usually the most difficult to make, especially since November begins the high season when many hotel rates are increased. Most of the usual hotel booking sites for Thailand listed no hotel availability in Udon Thani in November -- probably due to their listed rates ending in October 2009.

Fortunately, I was able to book a hotel at http://www.charoenhotel.com which was tied to http://www.R24.org . Immediately, after submitting my reservation request, a web page said that the hotel fills up quickly and recommended a confirmed reservation. That is, pay 20% now and the balance or 80% a month or earlier prior to the check-in date. I used my visa credit card issued by the Charles Schwab Bank. A reply was immediate that the charge would be submitted for payment to the credit card issue and when the charge was cleared, a voucher would be emailed to me. I received the voucher about a day or so later. The charge included the Charoen Hotel's stay-6-days-and-pay-for-5-days special. The net rate (which is the total that includes tax and service, etc) was 1,000 baht per day.

By bother, you might ask. The reason is that I am following my own advice to always book a 3-star or better hotel whenever you visit a new city. Once I visit a city and get to know some available hotels, then I can take chances on hotels in that city.

Next, airline reservations.

AirAsia. I booked a Udon Thani to Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi) flight. At the same time, I filled in the boxes for an AirAsia account. I used the same credit card that I used to pay for my Charoen Hotel stay. Result was that AirAsia rejected my credit card and suggested that I contact the credit card company. I noticed a Visa logo that indicated verification. I clicked on it. However, USA was not one of the listed countries in a dropdown menu; so, I could not have my credit card verified. Result was no purchase of an AirAsia ticket.

I accessed my AirAsia account and there was no reservation listed. So, I confirmed no ticket purchase.

Credit Card. I accessed on my online credit card account. It showed the two charges for the Charoen Hotel and no other charges. There was no other indication of any problem. I also double-checked that my billing address was exactly the same information, submitted to the airlines.

NokAir. I booked a Bangkok (Don Muang) to Udon Thani flight. I tried the same credit card again. Again, rejected. Result was no purchase of a NokAir ticket.

Thai Air. In my earlier post, I noted that I had a problem booking a Thai Air flight. A fellow member informed me that I had to register as a Thai Air frequent flyer in order to submit a booking. So, I applied for a frequent flyer membership. A member number was issued to me, but the web site said that a pin number would be issued to me in a few days. I tried booking round-trip flights from Suvarnabhumi to Udon Thani and return. I was able to select flights. But, like my previous failed attempt, the Thai Air web site would not respond when I clicked the "Book Now" button.

Any ideas on why the airlines rejected my Visa credit card? Could it be that all bookings from the USA will be rejected? Are other Schwab Visa credit cards being rejected?

Several months ago, I was able to purchase a ticket on Cebu Pacific Air using a US credit union's Master credit card, also from my US residence. So, I will: contact my Schwab credit card company, try again to book air reservations in a week, and perhaps try my non-Schwab credit card (which adds a fee based on a percentage of any foreign transaction). If none of those work, then I will wait until I arrive in Thailand and find a travel agent to buy air tickets for me. The next fallback might be a bus ride to Udon Thani and later a bus ride to Pattaya.

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable advice.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: US credit card rejected by AirAsia, NokAir

Post by beer monkey » August 31, 2009, 5:45 am

This has cropped up before...have a read on here

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... t2462.html
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 31, 2009, 6:02 am

Not sure if this helps or not but I can book and purchase my Thai Airways Udon domestic flights online on my Visa card in the UK - smooth as silk.
Doug! Doug! Doug!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 31, 2009, 6:06 am

Thai Air. In my earlier post, I noted that I had a problem booking a Thai Air flight. A fellow member informed me that I had to register as a Thai Air frequent flyer in order to submit a booking. So, I applied for a frequent flyer membership. A member number was issued to me, but the web site said that a pin number would be issued to me in a few days.
Had that before....don't hold your breath with the issue of the pin....mine never came, had to speak to Head office in London to get anywhere....and still not happy with it, not an easy website either......well never is for me.. :(
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 31, 2009, 6:18 am

I can't, for the life of me, remember how I got my pin. But I do recall the Dragon having a hell of a time trying to get her address changed on the account details after we moved house. And yes, the website ain't that hot.
Doug! Doug! Doug!

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 31, 2009, 6:33 am

Green Grasser said
But, like my previous failed attempt, the Thai Air web site would not respond when I clicked the "Book Now" button.
I have had simular problems with "Book Now or "Submit" buttons. It might be your browser, especially if I.E. 8 is your browaer as it is not compatable with some sites. If using I.E 8 under tools there is a Compatability View setting, when you go to Thai Air site click to set compatability. Another problem might be the time of day you are trying to make reservations, I have found that if late at night Thai time their system has problems interfacing with western banks. Finally make sure that on the Thai air main web page (www.thaiair.com) you select your country from the drop down "Select Country". Hope this helps.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 31, 2009, 8:21 am

also some thai/foreign sites don't have the proper encrypted securiy level the credit card prefers, and refuses the sale. think 256 encryption is the least they will accept, or something like that. my CC company informed me of that before when i enquired, but that was quite some time ago. have booked on Nok and sawadee and latestays , hoteltravel, directroom websites with no problems. thai airways office seems to have better prices than website, tho have used nok in the past most of the time.

unless kata beach in phuket and nice special, i rarely book ahead of time via CC, unless a nice promotion, as usually travel off season and never seem to have problems.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 31, 2009, 9:07 am

Is it possible that your CC company might have some restrictions on multiple uses of the card to overseas/Thailand accounts?
I would contact them,explaining your problem before doing a run around with the different sites!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 31, 2009, 9:19 am

About 10 years ago I got a Virgin Credit Card. I went to Phuket and the first day I took out Bt 20,000. About a week later I tried to take some more out but the card wouldn't work. When I got home I had a letter from them telling me the card had been frozen cause it had been used in Thailand =D> good job I had another card or I'd have starved. Apparently Thailand has a bad name for fraud :shock: but my Australia and New Zealand card has always been fine. I guess it depends on the company and it's policy !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2009, 9:28 am

The explanation is perfectly logical, Aa.

Once you had used the card to withdraw cash in Thailand, the issuer knew you were no longer a Virgin, and therefore ineligible to use their card. :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 31, 2009, 9:50 am

I never had a problem booking a flight on any air lines with my credit card it the travel companies that refuse them they don't want to pay the fee charged to them so they want CASH or that want you to pay the
3% fee which I flat out refuse with any merchant who sells me a service or a product just remember this if your not satisfied and want to return the item they have to take it back because you have the upper hand by telling the Bank who issue the C.C your not happy with the product it defective and they refuse to make good so you want to stop payment BINGO they no get paid

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 31, 2009, 10:27 am

The explanation is perfectly logical, Aa.

agree, thailand has a well deserved reputation for fraud. though strangely, my card has been refused many times, and i always use for the same reason and websites, and of course my cc issuer says it was not used in my usual spending habits, so refused, then i tell them to can the BS, check my last 20 transactions and they have all been the same companies, instantly approved when resubmitted.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 31, 2009, 11:00 am

It's not always the credit card companies fault with regard to NokAir. When I was living in the US, tried to book a Nok flight online. Entered all the info but it just took me back to the opening screen with no explanation. So I called them, finally got through and was advised that they didn't accept international credit cards, not just US but any country. I would have to fax them a copy of my card, passport, etc. Told them to forget it and went ahead and booked on Thai Air. So they lost a fare.

Round Two. Now that I live here, had to go to Bangkok so confidently tried to book online, since I now have a Bangkok Bank Debit card. Same result. So I call and ask if I can book over the phone. Was advised that I could not use a debit card over the phone and would have to go to a 7/11. Even though it's a debit card and the fund would be instantly transferred to their account. Infuriated over this development, and not yet used to the TIT solution, my wife saw my level of frustration and suggested that since we have to go to Ngee Soon anyway, why not just stop off at the airport and book the flight in person, since it's on the way. We did, and besides getting to interact with the cute little girl at the counter, the fare was 20 baht less than what i had been quoted online.

It seems that NokAir must have a paranoid person in charge of loss prevention. I try to avoid Nok for this very reason, it' just that the times didn't work out for this particular journey. I wonder if they realize how much business they are losing due to stupidity.

As far as US credit cards, when traveling here from abroad, I always called the company and advised them that I will be in SE Asia, they noted my account and I never had a problem, except from the merchants who try to add a fee if you use a credit card. I always refuse to pay and find the nearest ATM. It is my understanding that this is a violation of their agreement with the CC company, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » August 31, 2009, 3:11 pm

Some businesses can't process debit cards, I had a problem booking a room at Baiyoki Sky Hotel, they would accept CC's so had to send a bank voucher as I try to avoid using CC's.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » August 31, 2009, 3:28 pm

When I lived in Hawaii, went to Seattle for a weekend used my CC and after returning I went to use the card and was refused. Called the card company and they said card was used in Seattle so they put a hold on it. Happened again when I went to Vegas. Duh, seems if you go more than a thousand miles from the listed address they get nervous.

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » August 31, 2009, 3:59 pm

They do these days, I have to forewarn my CC company when I'm about to use my CC overseas.
Doug! Doug! Doug!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 1, 2009, 4:20 am

Agree.....As Thailand is a hot-spot for CC fraud, always inform the CC company if you are travelling there, that way you won't get caught out at the ATM or in the bank and have to make a lengthy call back home.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Green Grasser

Post by Green Grasser » September 1, 2009, 5:51 am

Thanks for the many comments that shed a lot of light on the three airlines.

This morning I telephoned my credit card company, which transferred me to its Authorization Dept.

The company representative said that my credit card account showed two charges (related to my two payments for my Hotel Charoen stay) had been submitted. He said one charge had been authorized and the other charge was in the middle of the authorization process.

He said that no other charges had been submitted to his credit card company. He said that this has happened frequently according to other customers who have telephoned, which, he thought, may be due to the Vendors' rejection of the credit card.

So, it does appear that blame can be laid on AirAsia and Nok Air, whether due to their own policy to reject non-local credit cards, faulty web site, or other reason.

I think my next step will be to try my Mastercard issued by another financial institution.

I will post what happened.

By the way, at the same time I spoke to the Visa card rep, I told him to note on my account that whenever there is a foreign charge on my credit card to accept only hotel and airline charges.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » September 1, 2009, 4:48 pm

Re Thaiair
My Pin and my families came to me quickly via email, and my Royal Orchid pass was a picture on the site which they said to print.
I also the recall that Thaiair have 2 sites, a .com and a .th and one of them is a lot more user friendly than the other (but I don't remember which one).
As for Nokair, I called them before I booked my last trip online and asked if I can use my overseas credit card to book the fare, and was told yes no worries, just go to their site which was different than the one I had opened from here in Oz ready to do the booking, I'm just about to book again and I'll see how I go and post the sites I used.
Barry

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » September 2, 2009, 9:05 am

If you notify your cc company before time of your intended whereabouts, like, I am leaving Thailand to visit family in the US and will be there from xx/xx/xxx until xx/xx/xxxx, you probably wouldn't have your card stopped...It happened to me once and since then I let them know when I leave the country and when I return I tell them that I'm back...So far, this has taken care of the problem for me.....NOLA

Return to “Travel & Transport”