UK travel report

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
rick
udonmap.com

UK travel report

Post by rick » May 20, 2023, 9:30 pm

Just a few observations on my families holiday to UK April/May. Most may know all the quirks, but it may help some.

Passports - got daughters first UK passport in February, No real issues, did myself and VFS did ask for a few extra documents - and in full colour. Turn around was under 3 weeks, but it is a slow time of year at the passport office in UK.

Visas - wife got her visit visa OK, but had to give her a lot of cash to plump up her bank account. Getting it back not so easy! Also bare in mind that the visa will be dated to start from the date you give them, not date of issue.

Flights Udon-Bangkok and Bangkok-Udon were OK, used Thai Smile because they allow 20-30 Kgs of luggage and go to Swampy. Always amazes me that they manage to serve a snack, water and a hot drink to everyone on a one hour flight.

Immigration leaving Bangkok - was a bit slow, took 30 minutes. Also wouldn't let the daughter through on per Thai passport with her mother, i had to produce my passport as well AND her Birth certificate (which i had).

UK flights - was constrained on the dates, so not all that cheap. I was going to go Eva, but economy all booked. Some airlines wanted over 1,000 GBP for economy! In the end chose Emirates, about 800 GBP. Flying the A380 which i prefer - quieter, smoother flight and always plentiful good food, plus wine and Cointreau with my meal.....

Entering UK - immigration queue was horrific for NON UK passports, but found out could take family through the UK only line - that saved us a good hour.

Returning Thailand - Immigration was not to busy, but as i am now over 70 used the priority lane just to the right of the main entry - no queue. Definitely for me in future.

In the UK - well, my UK relatives looked after us well, and the wife's sister-in-law (who wanted us there for her marriage to her British partner). This meant we didn't suffer the full impact of UK inflation on us. But yes, most food prices up about 25% compared to 2021. Good luck with finding a restaurant with a main course under 10 GBP - Takeaway Pizzas for 6 was 60 GBP! Only stayed hotels 2 nights but over 100 GBP (but those were not locations with many options). Days out are getting expensive - most attractions are now 20-40 GBP per adult. And parking sometimes extra - 6 GBP one place (in the middle of nowhere!) While around London for one week, travelled by rail using a Family and friends railcard - Also used for a trip up to Shropshire for the wedding, Total UK travel costs were only about 250 GBP as a result. Total cost of trip for 3 of us was about 4,000 GBP, but relatives spent at least a 1,000 GBP on us as well. Not sure how much the wife spent on shopping...... !

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: UK travel report

Post by the-monk » May 20, 2023, 11:18 pm

Thanks. Interesting and informative.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 21, 2023, 11:16 am

I try and avoid the London airports despite better flight options and marginally cheaper air fares. Mind you, if the southeast is your oyster, there's little alternative. I did use London City airport on a KLM Cityhopper from Amsterdam when I had business in London. That was a fast in/out but I was luckily avoiding rush hours.

The benefits of arriving at Aberdeen International with Mrs tam is she's the only one in the dodgy foreigners passport queue so she gets the baggage cart and grabs the "sweet spot" at the top-end of the baggage carousel before anyone else.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 21, 2023, 12:59 pm

Surprised anyone outside Jockland would ever want to go to Aberdeen (International :roll: )

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 22, 2023, 6:02 am

My family all live in the South-east, so no other option than Gatwick or Heathrow. When I had a home in Birmingham, I used Birmingham airport a couple of times to avoid the over zealous customs at Heathrow, who used to search my luggage for Semtex every time i flew in from Libya.

The Immigration queues for foreigners are ridiculous. Next time you hear that international tourism to the UK is stagnant, you know why.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 22, 2023, 6:07 am

The Brits have finally managed to get the rest of the world to take up their favorite pastime ..... standing in queues :lol:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 22, 2023, 9:08 am

When you have a Sokh sup[erevisor, supervising an Arab and an Indian asa well as a person from Europe doing customs and asking what is the reason for visiting this county, you know it is going to hell in a hat=basket .
My reply to that question is unprintable , but he gave me back my passport and I made a formal complaint.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 22, 2023, 6:29 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
May 22, 2023, 9:08 am
When you have a Sokh sup[erevisor, supervising an Arab . . . you know it is going to hell in a hat=basket. . . . and I made a formal complaint.
1. What was the result of your complaint?

2. Sikh (I assume that that is what you meant by Sokh) is a religion. So are you saying that only members of the Church of England should be permitted to work at immigration? Not just British citizens?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 22, 2023, 6:43 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
When you have a Sokh sup[erevisor, supervising an Arab and an Indian asa well as a person from Europe doing customs and asking what is the reason for visiting this county, you know it is going to hell in a hat=basket .
My reply to that question is unprintable , but he gave me back my passport and I made a formal complaint.
Does British Customs accept complaints in a foreign language?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 22, 2023, 7:07 pm

Not sure, had to "press ONE for ENGLISH"

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 23, 2023, 3:45 pm

Udon Map wrote:
May 22, 2023, 6:29 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
When you have a Sokh sup[erevisor, supervising an Arab . . . you know it is going to hell in a hat=basket. . . . and I made a formal complaint.

2. Sikh (I assume that that is what you meant by Sokh) is a religion. So are you saying that only members of the Church of England should be permitted to work at immigration? Not just British citizens?

Oh now we have to ducate americans....SIkh is a commonly used word to describe a SIkh, ( those that wear turbans etc ) .

Result of my complaint, I recieved an apology for the line of questioning. From the boss in charge on the day some senior Customs offcer

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 23, 2023, 6:03 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
May 23, 2023, 3:45 pm
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Oh now we have to ducate americans.... SIkh is a commonly used word to describe a SIkh, ( those that wear turbans etc ).
No need to educate (or "ducate") Americans. I know exactly what a Sikh is. But you didn't answer my question.

Are you saying that Sikhs shouldn't be allowed to work in Immigration?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 23, 2023, 6:20 pm

Perhaps we should make sure that Christians didnt teach children in Thailands schools then

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 24, 2023, 9:59 am

Khun Paul wrote:
Given this would not be an unusual question to ask a single, middle-aged man who was a long term resident in Thailand, I seriously doubt you would have received anything other than a pro forma apology.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 24, 2023, 10:23 am

I recall my solitary interaction with HM Customs at LHR last century where, after a delayed departure out of Bahrain, I was barreling through the green lobby, hoping to make my connection to Aberdeen. A Customs chap, awfully white and cockney-sounding, detached himself from the wall as I passed, asking, "Excuse me sir, where have you just come from?" Whirling in mid-stride and proceeding to walk backwards away from him, with both Bahrain duty free bags chock full of Camels, Smiths Glenlivet, Smirnoff blue label, Chanel #5, several pairs of Ray-Bans and at least two in-car stereo systems swinging wildly, I said very loudly, "Saudi f@#"ing Arabia!" to which the representative of HM Customs smiled and said, "Fine, thanks. Have a nice flight" and returned to slouching against the wall.

Since then, I have always ensured that my locution and grammar is both polite and accurate, likewise my spelling when writing about stuff.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

nickboyuk
udonmap.com

Post by nickboyuk » June 19, 2023, 9:42 pm

Well I've learnt something new I can now use the priority lane. Is that leaving too?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 20, 2023, 7:25 am

Udon Map wrote:
May 23, 2023, 6:03 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Oh now we have to ducate americans.... SIkh is a commonly used word to describe a SIkh, ( those that wear turbans etc ).
No need to educate (or "ducate") Americans. I know exactly what a Sikh is. But you didn't answer my question.

you know often your input is ntere3sting, but on this occasion it show complete mis-uinderstanding of the situation, not surprised considering your personal history

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 20, 2023, 8:43 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 20, 2023, 7:25 am
Udon Map wrote:
May 23, 2023, 6:03 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Udon Map wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:

you know often your input is ntere3sting, but on this occasion it show complete mis-uinderstanding of the situation, not surprised considering your personal history
Thank you for telling me that I don't understand. That's helpful. :roll:

But you still haven't answered my question: Are you saying that Sikhs shouldn't be allowed to work in Immigration?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 20, 2023, 9:01 am

Surely you wouldn't wan't religious nutters in immigration anyway regardless of their religion Sikhs/C of E/Catholic/etc

Anyone that gullible are not gonna be very good at spotting someone trying to con them are they

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 20, 2023, 9:08 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 20, 2023, 9:01 am
Surely you wouldn't wan't religious nutters in immigration anyway regardless of their religion Sikhs/C of E/Catholic/etc

Anyone that gullible are not gonna be very good at spotting someone trying to con them are they
Good point They allegedly let KP enter (eventually) which goes to show there's no law that says pompous oafs can't have the odd good day.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Travel & Transport”