Seat Belt Law coming into effect

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Seat Belt Law coming into effect

Post by Doodoo » August 10, 2022, 3:29 pm

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268452-new- ... september/

Here we go people will be worried ???
Will this mean no more riding in the back of pickups????

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Seat Belt Law coming into effect

Post by 747man » August 10, 2022, 3:48 pm

The BIB Are ALREADY Checking.....Twice this Week they've had Highway 2 Coned Off Coming out of Nong Khai Just before the Thai Jumbo Jet which is Parked by that Fun Park......And BTW It could do with a Bloody good Wash ( The 747 that is ) NO Yer Fools NOT Me !! Before Certain People Say Something Idiotic !!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 10, 2022, 3:56 pm

Seat belts in all Baht buses?

Does this mean no standing?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 10, 2022, 4:29 pm

As I understand the law, seat belts must be worn where installed. Space Cab Revo can have rear passengers, but there are no seat belts. 4 door Revo can have rear passengers and they must wear seat belts as seat belts are installed. For example.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 10, 2022, 4:36 pm

" Under Section 123 of the Road Traffic Act (No.13) 2022, drivers and passengers must abide by the following rules while travelling in a car.

The driver must wear a seat belt at all times while driving. Front seat passengers and passengers sitting in the back or any other row are required to wear a seat belt at all times while travelling in a vehicle.

Passengers under 6 years old must be seated in a child safety seat at all times while travelling to prevent injuries in the event of an accident.

Passengers under 135 centimetres must wear a seat belt at all times while travelling to prevent injuries in the event of an accident. "

Doesnt seem to be any exemption for older vehicles, so I'm assuming If you dont have seat belts fitted you dont take passengers until you get them :-k you've got 140 days notice to allow you to get them fitted =;

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2022, 5:02 pm

When the UK made seat belts mandatory, I recall after-market kits could be fitted. Not sure if it was mandatory to install them in older vehicles or optional. They didn't have the built-in inertia reel component of factory-fitted belts so they tangled easily but once they were installed, wearing them was mandatory.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 10, 2022, 5:31 pm

Any law here as we all lknow will be subject to sensible enforcement. Now as we all know the latter is rarely carried ouit therefore I doubt if the general population will pay it any attention, especially that bit about Child safety seat.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 10, 2022, 5:49 pm

KP couldn't agree more. The bib will continue to do nothing about the traffic other than collect a paycheck.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 10, 2022, 6:18 pm

Yep, more wind blowing BS from some jerks trying to justify their existence.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2022, 8:06 pm

fdimike wrote:
August 10, 2022, 5:49 pm
KP couldn't agree more. The bib will continue to do nothing about the traffic other than collect a paycheck.
Meanwhile, more and more Thai mums and dads with a half decent education, a young family, a growing separation from the stilted cultural ways and more reason to disregard the local police farce than any cynical old farang, are buying personal accident insurance, using seatbelts, fitting car seats, etc..

Since we don't know anyone from that demographic or seen inside their cars, we pan the whole, glacial improvement in the quality of life of the locals so you'll just have to take my word for it.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 11, 2022, 6:56 am

I would be more interested how to stop up to a family a FIVE riding on a motorbike manages safetywise when the mode of transport is manufactured to carry only TWO .
Now that is far more dangerous than kids unseatbelted !!!!!!!!!!!!!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 11, 2022, 7:19 am

Everyday is the same here in Udon. 80% or more motorcycle riders do not wear a helmet especially in the morning hours as they take their kids to school. Most all traffic laws here in Udon are generally ignored. Why? Absolutely zero law enforcement.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 11, 2022, 8:55 am

The usual suspects commenting on the usual road safety observations.

Twas ever thus

PS: I think it's more like 83% are helmetless between 6am and 9 am with an average load of 4.7 bodies (excluding animals).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 11, 2022, 9:09 am

"The usual suspects commenting on the usual road safety observations.

Twas ever thus"

and so what are you trying to tell us???

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » August 11, 2022, 12:01 pm

Only fifty years later than the rest of the world,,,, at least they have finaly realised the simple application of a belt can save life.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 11, 2022, 12:21 pm

Doodoo wrote:
August 11, 2022, 9:09 am
"The usual suspects commenting on the usual road safety observations.

Twas ever thus"

and so what are you trying to tell us???
Ask the usual suspects, no? They're the ones (still) banging on about the feckless, indolent locals and the rubbish cops.
fatbob wrote:
August 11, 2022, 12:01 pm
Only fifty years later than the rest of the world,,,, at least they have finaly realised the simple application of a belt can save life.
Now that's a more positive note.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 11, 2022, 12:55 pm

fdimike wrote:
August 11, 2022, 7:19 am
Everyday is the same here in Udon. 80% or more motorcycle riders do not wear a helmet especially in the morning hours as they take their kids to school. Most all traffic laws here in Udon are generally ignored. Why? Absolutely zero law enforcement.
In the 14 years I have been living here, I have noticed no improvement in the enforcement methods of the rubbish cops - either around town, or out on the highways. Which is reflected in the still awful road accident and death statistics.

The only change I have observed has been the proliferation of fixed speed cameras. It is pretty clear however that a good proportion of them are not working at any particular time, as on longer trips I should have been pinged for speeding, but nothing ever turns up in the mail. :-$

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 11, 2022, 1:09 pm

As is usual, the tint in my eyeglasses seems to darken (in a good way) as I grow older. As I see it, an additional 1% or 5% or 20% of passengers in seatbelt-fitted vehicles will wear seat belts.........not because of the risk of a fine, but because it's the law. Or maybe x% of the drivers on the road adhere to the speed limits because of the law, another x% because they don't want to pay a fine (same same but different).
More to the actual law: if your vehicle does not have seat belts installed in the rear (like most all space-cab trucks), then a seat belt isn't required.
Also, the new law governs the use of child seats.........given the near total lack of use of child safety seats in Udon, how can the new law be anything but good? It doesn't pertain to the 5 people you see riding a motorcycle.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 11, 2022, 1:11 pm

They probably look at the picture, say "he'll never learn that speeding is dangerous" it's the umpteenth time he's been caught 'n it makes no difference so we may as well send a notice to someone where it will make them think twice next time :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 11, 2022, 1:53 pm

I am not sure how this "new law" (which I have no problem with) changes the "old law". Which to the best of my knowledge required every person in a vehicle to wear a seatbelt where one was available. Perhaps the child seat requirement is new.

But again it gets back to enforcement. And all the laws, rules and regulations in the world won't matter a jot without a dramatic change in mindset by the useless rozzers.

Anecdotally, whenever I see into a vehicle with light enough window tint, or open windows, rarely are seatbelts being worn.

Return to “Travel & Transport”