charoen hotel,near the centre?

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

charoen hotel,near the centre?

Post by souness » April 13, 2008, 8:50 am

hello,me and amate are coming to thailand 3 months in july,going to pattaya and laos but hoping for a month in udon.
looking for a hotel with a pool not far from the centre.the charoen loks ok.
anyone stayed their,good or bad reports?
we've been looking at your site for a few months,think its great.
really like the sports part,guys like bobhelm,ralph,zidane,gallee,brian davis top posters and intelligent blokes,dont always agree with what they say though ha,ha!
tahnks for hotel info anyway.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 13, 2008, 10:46 am

AH, kirkby, souness, hotel with a pool.... guess you are a 'Pool fan then???? :D :D

I've never stayed there sorry, but here is a thread from a while ago with sort of mixed reviews, but an agreement that the pool was good.

Charoen Hotel

Bit of a stroll into the "centre" from there, more tuk tuk I think...

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 13, 2008, 11:12 am

Souness, I've stayed at the Charoen and it's fine. It's getting a little old now, though quite comfortable and functional. There is a new wing with newer rooms. The hotel has it's own restaurant and outdoor pool. I note you are coming in the low (wet) season. There is a nightclub behind the hotel with a Thai band and music.

It's about 10-12 minutes walk to the shopping centre, past the bus station.

Have a look on the "Accommodation" Forum for more information.

Not sure of the purpose of your visit. If you're visiting these places to see what they are like, great. But as you mentioned Pattaya and Udon in the same sentence be aware they are very much not the same.

Udon is a traditional and busy Thai town, with a smattering of bars near the shopping centre which are about to be pulled down. There is a selection of restaurants in the town and dotted around the outer ring road, which cater for Thai and farang food. As Bob says many of the farang run bar/restaurants in the town tend to have pool tables to help pass the time.

The locals and many of the resident farangs in Udon are a bit sensitive to the Pattaya types (louts) coming to Udon looking for the wrong sort of action and then getting frustrated when they don't find it!! So best to be on your best behaviour!! ;) :D

souness
udonmap.com

Post by souness » April 13, 2008, 12:09 pm

gents,thank u very much for the info.
yes,we are pool fans,im just finishing my nightshift and will be going to anfield this lunchtime.
bob suppose you will be watching united play later.youll beat arsenal theyve run out of steam.look forward to meeting you mancs in the finel in moscowe.
if we come to udon well be wanting to explore abit.is the mekhong river and valley area near ? weve looked at your mag online and loks like some good places to visit.we want to travel further into laos later.
no were not lager louts,maybe scallys a bit.reading sports posts pool fans on it dont come across to good though ha,ha !

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 13, 2008, 12:21 pm

i dont know why im writting this, cuz i shook hands with a scouser once and he stole my watch :cry: :cry: no seriously the chareon is fine try and get the new wing as its a bit nicer, last time i stayed there it was 900 a night for double and 800 in the old wing.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 13, 2008, 12:55 pm

BobHelm wrote:AH, kirkby, souness, hotel with a pool.... guess you are a 'Pool fan then???? :D :D
I certainly hope he is... My head is killing me from banging it off that f**individual wall.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 13, 2008, 1:02 pm

souness wrote:pool fans on it dont come across to good though ha,ha !
Okay then... Over to you!

Sabai
udonmap.com

Post by Sabai » April 13, 2008, 2:12 pm

Hi Souness

I justed pm d you the hotel managers number ,I stayed there a lot he will look after you for whatever you need. He is the radar of the Charoen mention Brian from Ireland and he will know where the mobile number came from.

He speaks good english and handy to know his name is Charteree.

cheers Brian

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » April 13, 2008, 2:50 pm

Stayed there 2 years ago in old wing, was freshly refurbished, very nice.
It's a 5 min walk to the shopping mall.
They have an excellent lunch buffet but upped the price from 180 to 210 recently.

Some people say the Charoensri Grand Royal is a better deal.

You should ask for a long stay discount at both places and compare what you get for your baht.

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » April 13, 2008, 3:37 pm

Chareonsri grand is attached to the centre so if you want close you cant get any closer. also has a pool

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 13, 2008, 3:55 pm

souness,
If you do stay at the Charoen then its definitely worth paying 100 baht extra per night to stay in the new wing (Charoen Botanical).
The pools fine,theres the excellent Yellow Bird disco and a nice outdoor restaurant at the back where they have live music and show live Premiership games at the weekend.
You never know,you might get to see Liverpool if they are playing one of the bigger clubs :D
Its less than 10 minutes walk to the centre,as well.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 13, 2008, 11:18 pm

Zidane wrote:You never know,you might get to see Liverpool if they are playing one of the bigger clubs :D
The old Men at work song is going in my head now... "Who can it be now?" Bigger than Liverpool Zidane... Bpen bpaii mii dai... :D
Zidane wrote:Its less than 10 minutes walk to the centre,as well.
Zidane
Some people might think we do not agree on anything but to keep it on track here... Yes YOU ARE RIGHT... Less than 10 minutes to centre, Mister Tongs, or Soi Fahlang (abandon hope all ye who enter here) and Yellow Bird is an okay spot. Especially when my favourite singer with my favourite mini-skirt is on... :roll: :roll: :roll:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 13, 2008, 11:29 pm

Irish Alan wrote:Less than 10 minutes to centre, Mister Tongs, or Soi Fahlang (abandon hope all ye who enter here)
Ah Alan, still living in the past... :D :D Soi Falang will be long gone by the time souness arrives, add 5 minutes to Soi Sampantamit walk, I think... :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 13, 2008, 11:43 pm

Oops.... I forgot that... Thanks Bob... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Me living in the past? HA!!! Nope my brain (if there is one present - CT scan was inconclusive) is waterlogged.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 13, 2008, 11:49 pm

ha,ha, welcome Alan - good win today though & I am sure that u & souness are happy...best goal was scored by Blackburn, but that is of little consequence.. :D :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 14, 2008, 12:06 am

Irish Alan wrote:Especially when my favourite singer with my favourite mini-skirt is on... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
She's my favourite singer. :mad:

Does she still keep adjusting her hair every few moments? :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 14, 2008, 12:13 am

No I think she shaves it in the warm weather as she seems to scratch a bit but ties her hair up in a ponytail.

souness
udonmap.com

Post by souness » April 14, 2008, 9:58 am

thanks for all your posts gents.i dont mind the leg pulling from guys like bob and zidane.for now themancs are the top team but pool will be back,maybe even in moscowe.
we were in the pub before the blackburn game and got talking to a guy who stayed in udon for a week last yere.he said the irish clock had great food,boss is a guy called steve who was a top bloke.also a place with a big german called nobby?was good.he liked pizza hut and said the waitressesses were very nice and said we would enjoy the menu at a place called oscars i think.does that do english food?
thats all i can remember.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 15, 2008, 11:06 pm

souness wrote:thanks for all your posts gents.i dont mind the leg pulling from guys like bob and zidane.for now themancs are the top team but pool will be back,maybe even in moscowe.
we were in the pub before the blackburn game and got talking to a guy who stayed in udon for a week last yere.he said the irish clock had great food,boss is a guy called steve who was a top bloke.also a place with a big german called nobby?was good.he liked pizza hut and said the waitressesses were very nice and said we would enjoy the menu at a place called oscars i think.does that do english food? thats all i can remember.
Thread on Irish clock here:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=3217

Nobis thread here:
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=3828

Oskar's thread here:
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... php?t=7688

Not sure if they do English food in Oskar's. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting as yet. Possibly a nice warm beaver in coconut oil.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 16, 2008, 4:23 am

[quote="Irish Alan
]

Not sure if they do English food in Oskar's. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting as yet. Possibly a nice warm beaver in coconut oil.[/quote]

I thought it was just a shagging parlour where you dip your wick. :|
You can pay for bread,they supply the dipping sauce and no 60 baht coffees there :D
should be a little red square IMHO than being quoted as a non traditional massage

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”