Loei Villa

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
jingjai
udonmap.com

Loei Villa

Post by jingjai » April 3, 2006, 3:34 pm

A friend of mine recently stayed here:

1. "In the town of Nong Hin, in the Loei area:

Highland Villa
(Ban Hoiy Pao Nue)

Phone: Roger Penn --- [email protected]

A really nice home, nice pool, and Roger is a really nice guy.. great for a couple day break... Rooms 600-700

Out in the middle of nowhere but very relaxing...."

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » April 3, 2006, 4:04 pm

I guess they did their own web site :!: Looks like it might be a nice site, but for some reason no workee for me. Maybe PeeCee only :?: :?

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Re: Loei Villa

Post by fatbas***d » April 10, 2006, 4:46 pm

jingjai wrote:
A really nice home, nice pool, and Roger is a really nice guy.. great for a couple day break... Rooms 600-700

..."
It looked like a "relaxing break" sort of place but they are quoting 100 Pds / Night on his website.
This ain't London Dorothy !

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 11, 2006, 2:49 pm

fatbas***d wrote:
jingjai wrote:

..."
It looked like a "relaxing break" sort of place but they are quoting 100 Pds / Night on his website.
This ain't London Dorothy !
Someone else mentioned to me that ฃ100 price listed on the website (all I did was look at the photos of the place on the website), possibly that ฃ100 price might be for the entire villa. My friend paid 700 baht for a single A/C room. I think the best thing to do would be to e-mail or telephone to Roger personally, tell Roger you live here and are not a tourist.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 11, 2006, 3:28 pm

I just checked out the website for prices. This is what was written as far as costs:
"The house rental cost is 100.00 Pound Stering per day inclusive."
So, I would think, since there are five separate bedrooms in the villa, an individual room would be ฃ20 or about what my friend paid (700 baht). Knowing my friend, I'm sure he bargained.
Roger's telephone # is listed under "contact us" in the website.
If one had a group of people, I think ฃ100 for the whole place is great value, considering all that is offered, IMHO.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » December 14, 2006, 4:20 pm

The wife and I are going to Loei and Highfield Villa next week. The price for a ensuite room is 700 baht per night.
I'll post a report when I return.
Roger's telephone #: 081-054-7834.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » December 24, 2006, 4:41 pm

The wife and I just returned from spending three nights at Highfield Villa.
We had a great time! It's exactly like the photos on the website. We had the whole place to ourselves. The wife caught a few 2.4 kilo fish at the lake on the property(30 rai), which the cook prepared for us. There is a fireplace in the big living room. We built a couple fires in it while we were there.
Swimming pool & jacauzzi and a sauna.
Plus the beauty of the surrounding area and mountains.
I think it it is an ideal place for a getaway or with a group of friends.
700 baht per night per room.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 24, 2006, 5:12 pm

Jingjai,I am glad you had a great time.The place sounds really nice,Tell us more about what you did there and about the place.Was the jacuzzi inside,hot and large?I bet it was coold up there!
The place to yourselves?How about staff etc.
Was the fishing included in your 700 a night,meals etc.And how was the food?

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » December 24, 2006, 6:14 pm

Well the jacuzzi is part of the pool, so this time of year....but maybe for some people. It was cold at night and in the morning, but late morning/afternoons warmed up. I'll wait for swimming until I go back in a few months.
Roger, the owner, is there all the time, except for runs to the market, etc. Roger lives in a separate house on the property. But when he is gone, the cook is there from morning till he's not needed anymore.. He is an excellent Thai cook. I didn't check out his farang food skills, but there is farang food on the menu.
One can also bring their own food and have use of the full kitchen in the house.
The 700 baht is for the room only. You can bring your own beverages or purchase from Roger. The food is more than it would be at a restaurant, but not all that much more, and we didn't feel like going out that much. I just wanted to soak up the peace and quiet.
Fishing is free, catch as much as you want. Coffee & tea service available all day-free. Toast, butter, & jam available for free.
As far as touring around. We went to Kunming one day and explored up there. Mostly we hung around the villa and vegged out. I caught up on some reading and took some quiet walks around the area surrounding the villa. It's been a long time since I've been able to walk around in a natural setting, and listen to absolutely nothing. It seems like most days in Udon my auditory sense is being constantly bombarded by motorcycles, dogs, trucks with louspeakers, etc.
I have a friend in the area and we talked and our wife's fished and walked around the property picking tamarind. In the summer there are mangoes, Roger said most of those go to waste. I guess it would cost more to hire someone to pick the mango and tamarind than he could make selling them.
Roger has a very nice library. Many books on the history of the British Empire, WWII, and historical fiqures, plus a lot of fiction.
Snooker table.
Maybe next time I'll get more ambitous, get in the car and explore more.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 31, 2021, 4:25 pm

WOW! Very old post. The villa is long gone and Roger has passed away.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » July 31, 2021, 9:02 pm

glalt wrote:
July 31, 2021, 4:25 pm
WOW! Very old post. The villa is long gone and Roger has passed away.
i think jing jai is long gone too
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 31, 2021, 9:04 pm

As is bkkstan.

I wonder what led to this thread revival after 15 years.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 1, 2021, 9:26 am

I just stumbled across this post and found it interesting after so many years. I used to visit Roger at least once a week, swim in his very nice huge swimming pool, eat and drink beer with him.

He made a trip to the UK and my wife and I looked after the place for him while he was gone. I joked with him and told him that I never thought I'd become a pool boy for a broke Brit during my retirement. After that experience, I decided that I would NEVER have or want a swimming pool. Just too much work. I always admired the full size antique pool table that was in his beautiful mansion. He imported it from the UK along with most of the furniture. He eventually went broke and his later years were very miserable for him. He had invested more than twenty million baht in the property. His Thai partners never invested a single baht, just cheated and sponged off him. They eventually bought him out for three million baht.

He developed a severe foot infection and the doctors wanted to cut off his foot. He absolutely refused. He died from gangrene. I can tell you that he died a painful death. RIP Roger.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 1, 2021, 9:33 am

jackspratt wrote:
July 31, 2021, 9:04 pm
As is bkkstan.

I wonder what led to this thread revival after 15 years.
BKKStan sure did love his dog
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » August 1, 2021, 9:56 am

glalt wrote:
August 1, 2021, 9:26 am
I just stumbled across this post and found it interesting after so many years. I used to visit Roger at least once a week, swim in his very nice huge swimming pool, eat and drink beer with him.

He made a trip to the UK and my wife and I looked after the place for him while he was gone. I joked with him and told him that I never thought I'd become a pool boy for a broke Brit during my retirement. After that experience, I decided that I would NEVER have or want a swimming pool. Just too much work. I always admired the full size antique pool table that was in his beautiful mansion. He imported it from the UK along with most of the furniture. He eventually went broke and his later years were very miserable for him. He had invested more than twenty million baht in the property. His Thai partners never invested a single baht, just cheated and sponged off him. They eventually bought him out for three million baht.

He developed a severe foot infection and the doctors wanted to cut off his foot. He absolutely refused. He died from gangrene. I can tell you that he died a painful death. RIP Roger.
A very sad story, unfortunately Roger was not the only one with bad luck in Thailand. Many have tried and invested their cash and lives only to lose everything.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 1, 2021, 10:17 am

Ms Spratt and I stayed there for a couple of nights - at least 10 years ago. I thought at the time the whole set-up, while quite stunning, was severely over-capitalised for the location. Even then, it was showing signs of neglect and deteriorating.

Rodger came across as a bit of an odd-bod, but very friendly and accommodating.

He was trying to sell the place on UM back in 2012 viewtopic.php?f=104&t=26569

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 1, 2021, 10:50 am

Roger did learn something. He bought nice furniture and rented a nice apartment. He vowed never to be broke again. He still had 2.2 million baht in his bank account when he died. Eventually his passport expired along with his Thai drivers license. I had bought a new Isuzu pickup truck and basically loaned him my old Nissan. The Nissan was still in my name. I had never given it enough thought that with no visa or drivers license, I would be responsible if he had an accident. I insisted that he at least keep third party insurance on the truck. He did that. After his foot got very bad, he should have quit driving. He did have an accident and the Nissan had a bent frame and a lot of damage. Fortunately he caused no damage except to the truck. The concrete culvert he hit was not damaged. LOL.

A lady who ran a local bar kept him supplied with beer and cigarettes. My wife found a lady who would cook and clean for him. He said that he could take care of himself and refused to pay her 4,000 baht a month. It got very bad. He couldn't walk and could not control his bowels. The bar lady found him on the floor and called an ambulance. He went out of his mind and they forced him into the ambulance. He called me and told me that muslims kidnapped him and the hospital was torturing him. He was totally out of his mind by then, only skin and bones and weak. He had hated his only brother. I had contacted his sister, in the UK, and she made the trip over here. He died the same day that she got here. I hope to never go through anything like that again. It is a long painful story. He had no will and his sister had a really difficult time getting the money from his savings account, after about seven months of hassles and dealing with lawyers she finally succeeded. I have no idea of how much she eventually got.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 5, 2021, 4:28 pm

Wooa, long times ago, and of those people I remember bkkStan and Jingjai.

Has anyone been to Loei lately? I guess the border to Laos is still closed.

Regards,

Arjay
(living in the UK, wanting to visit LOS, but realistically can't yet).
(Had both jabs back here)

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”