Accomodation Reviews

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
laphanphon

Accomodation Reviews

Post by laphanphon » July 17, 2005, 4:48 pm

a couple of recommendation for inexpensive hotels.

KARIN HOTEL, stayed here a number of times. 400 baht rooms are decent, come w/breakfast (thai rice soup), ac, tv, hot water, good water pressure. need to book in advance, at least a week. one of the better bargains for hotel. if not available, the 600 baht rooms are very nice indeed, especially for a little longer stay as you will be in room more. has restaurant.

MONO PLACE, stayed here last night, 350 baht, pleasantly surprised, as i thought it was an older place, but all was nice and clean. ac, tv small, small frig, in a large room. no lift. walking distance to town center, almost 2 kms, me and the 6 yr old walked it, no problem, tuk tuk for return, let him overcharge me 40 baht, for 5 min trip, not in mood to haggle and as he was near robinson and didn't say 100 baht plus, i let him slide. water pressure not so good, but sufficient, and ac, very cold, no controls, had to turn off couple times. has restaurant/bar, music.

TOP MANSION, presently my favorite, price and location the main reason. 290 baht, hard to beat, new building, clean, safe, no lift. small tv and frig, hot shower, short walk to town center. new irish clock pub right down the street, highly recommended for munch and a pint. again, water pressure not so good, but works. no need for tuk tuk for immediate area/town center. reservations in advance recommended, at least a week.

NB RESIDENCE, 500 baht, tv, frig, hot water, walkable to town center, little longer, just over 2 kms. comfy rooms, newer building. has restaurant. internet in rooms, i think. if staying long term or can buy voucher book, 10 days/4000 baht.

THOMAS RESORT, 500 baht, has small pool, tv, smaller rooms, but comfy. transportation needed to town center, free shuttle provided. has restaurant.

have stayed at all the above and would recommend them without reservations.

also have stayed at napali hotel, nice rooms, very nice pool, rates are higher the establishments above, been a while since staying there. i think in 1100-1300 baht range, used to be 1100 or 900 for long stay, but that was a few years ago. read a review where they let the maintence of the pool go. hope not, as that was the main draw, large pool, and buffet breakfast comes w/rate. transportation needed to town center. has restaurant and dance/disco/music club there, a popular place.

valentine

Post by valentine » July 18, 2005, 9:25 am

Re; Napali hotel, current rate 8/900 baht inc 2 buffet breakfasts. The pool was in a bad way last month, the manage ment reason was, the school holidays and the American military staying. Don't really know who it was he thought was peeing in the water.!!! Its okay again now, was in there last week. Its also TGF friendly.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 18, 2005, 9:44 am

competition is a beautiful thing, that use to be the long stay rate, nice to hear the pool is back to clear water.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 18, 2005, 10:51 am

All in all - the staff at the Napalai seem a bit dis-interested.
When the multi-gym equipment was reported for being mostly unuseable - the mechanic said there is nothing he could do - even though it had a note on saying it was reported broken last August.

The pool staff are half asleep too. I went once and was refused admittance because my girl did not have a swim cap - ok, fair enough but its the first time ever of many visits they have asked for a swim cap - however I witnessed many girls accompanying americans that had no cap on. Also we were reminded to shower before we swam - again no problem with that, but hated watching americans all greased up with sun tan oil just walking in and jumping straight into the water.
I also saw people smoking freely poolside - despite huge signs forbidding it - these were pictures, not writing so quite obvious what was implied. One dumb american was sat directly underneath the sign - chain smoking.

As stated in earlier posts - the manager is reported to have brushed off the complaints with "I own this hotel and have enough money - so I dont care who complains about it".

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 18, 2005, 9:16 pm

Paul wrote: As stated in earlier posts - the manager is reported to have brushed off the complaints with "I own this hotel and have enough money - so I dont care who complains about it".
Sounds like a great attitude for a manager :? , ---- me, if the owner of a hotel round here came out with comments like that he'd be booted to hell and back :(, sounds to me like he needs to get his 'come uppance' :lol:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 18, 2005, 9:42 pm

Paul wrote: however I witnessed many girls accompanying americans that had no cap on. Also we were reminded to shower before we swam - again no problem with that, but hated watching americans all greased up with sun tan oil just walking in and jumping straight into the water.
I also saw people smoking freely poolside - despite huge signs forbidding it - these were pictures, not writing so quite obvious what was implied. One dumb american was sat directly underneath the sign - chain smoking.
Sorry, but can't let this one go unchallenged, Paul. The average Thai hotel worker probably couldn't differentiate an American from a Brit or any other farang from appearances. Your observations in singling out Americans also seem to be a bit out of line in this international forum. The poolside creatures could just as easily have been Brits, Germans, or whoever. :-k

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 19, 2005, 3:09 am

Think I'll keep my head down. This could get interesting.. :?

Gary

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 19, 2005, 9:13 am

Well let me clarify it for you then:

My reference was to the american military, who were all over the place a few months ago. And no, they are not hard to spot. The attitude which I witnessed was one of ' we do what we want to here'
I heard them talking (well shouting really) across the pool referring to Thai girls as 'Thai bitches' and equally to the philipine girls, which they had just come from I guess.

Perhaps I should have said the word American Military instead of just the word american and is an error on my part.

I am merely telling others what I witnessed visually and orally by a particular group of people which were identifiable not only from their appearance and accent but their conversations also which most of the people in the vicinity could hear - Airplanes, work schedule, leaving arrangements and last nights 'Thai Bitches'

Hardly polite when in the company of Thai people - including the girl I was with.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 19, 2005, 10:37 am

To start with I will agree and side with Paul. Me being a retired military person myself, I so see what his is talking about. There alot of American Military staying at the Napoli, Grant Royal to tune of FULL HOUSE. They were both book solid.

From my experience in the military, when we came into a country and occupy the hotels or establishments.....WE OWNED IT!!!!!!! We took it over and no one was to get in our way. The military that was occupying the Napoli Hotel were Marines......bad A$$, Killing Machine, and a step below being the All Mighty. They have high intelligence but think with 2 things, that what swings between thier legs and thier backside. It's not just the Marines but most of the military personnel, so I'm leaving any branch of the service. I would say something about other services of other countries but that's not my place nor do I have enough knowledge on the way the operate or behave.

I will say that when I went to Mr. Tong's Bar, the military took it over completely, it was they place, thier music and thier women!!!!!!!!!

So Paul is in his right to make the comments he made and I as an American, retired military at that, agree and back him whole heartedly.

Pop's :pirate:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 19, 2005, 10:52 am

you kiss a$$, banger gravy sucking unpatriot scum ball. freedon fighters unite.

well, i was in steve's one time, and quite ashamed to be an american. as we were finishing our meal, a group of american boys came in. me with wife and child and loudly started to tell each other of their conquest of udon thani nightlife, like a purple doesn't get anything you need or buying the ladies drinks all night not realizing they just spent a week thai salary on entertainment. great conquest. so sad, if i wan't leaving, i think i would of explain proper etiquite to them. i know their mama didn't raise them that way. now one must consider the is a waiting list to join he army and marines, and qualifications to get are a high school diploma for army, and not sure about marines. navy and air force is a different story.
even i can walk into any bar and get hit on by 4 chicks and 5 gatoys after shaking my fine behind to some thai jams. well at sala daeng anyway, not luck the other night, as if it was possible to function anyway. kind of bring that 'rocket in my pocket' song to mind.

so i'll have to side with that predujice damn brit who hates being outnumber by yanks at monthly meetings. you all need to get together and give him some support.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 19, 2005, 1:09 pm

Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote: I will say that when I went to Mr. Tong's Bar, the military took it over completely, it was they place, thier music and thier women!!!!!!!!!
Kinda reminds me of the May meeting in the Aussie bar :cry:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 19, 2005, 2:38 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. I also do not condone boorish or arrogant behavior in public by the American military (or any others) so let's leave it at that. I wasn't really aware that the American military still uses Udon Thani for their exercises so can understand that their presence there in large numbers would be a pain for residents to put up with although the business owners don't seem to mind the extra cash bonanza.

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » July 19, 2005, 5:39 pm

I hate that ----. I guess I am going to have to retire on the moon to get away from it. An asshole is the same no matter what country they are from and it is sad that the people in Udon need the money enough that they have to tolerate this sort of thing.

tardisrider

Post by tardisrider » July 19, 2005, 6:57 pm

I'm an American civilian--no association to military at all-- living in Seoul, S. Korea where there are loads of U.S. Military guys. I have several friends in (or retired from) the military, and I have to say that there are some great guys in the U.S. forces.

All of that being said, it's a shame that a few bad apples do so terribly spoil the barrel. As with any group, the bad ones (and there are some really bad ones) stick out like a sore thumb, giving a bad reputation to all.

Which leads me to my question: Are they still there? I'm writing this on Tuesday, July 19 and I'm leaving for Thailand this coming Saturday. After two nights in BKK, I plan on heading back up to Udon Thani. I loved your fair city a few months ago when I visited, but I might skip it for Loi Et or Khon Kaen if Udon is overrun with G.I. Joes. Those are pleasant places too, in my experience.

Assuming that the military has left town, I'll be in Udon in about a week. If you see a guy in his mid thirties with a Krispy Kreme cap sipping on a beer, don't be shy about saying hello.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 19, 2005, 7:16 pm

actually most are well behaved, but you put a bunch of 20 something guys together, with the availablity of women, which their briefing can't even come close to preparing them for and after a couple beers, the asian cultural briefing is forgotten and you have a loud kick ass party. the ignorant, arrogant ones are the bad image. my experience was bad, not only loud, but every other word was f this, f that, and this was early in the after noon with child and women present in bar. there was no cause for that behavior. would of been great to record them for 5 minutes then play back for them, little reality check. but that was the 1st and only negative crowd i've witnessed. i'm far from an angel, but try to behave in mixed company. keep it under 12 beers and i'm fine, lol. must of had 13 the other day.

i've noticed some around town last week. the gold cobra exercise, yearly thing was couple months ago.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 19, 2005, 7:25 pm

Interesting comment from Pops above

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 19, 2005, 9:14 pm

thethailife wrote:I hate that ----. I guess I am going to have to retire on the moon to get away from it. An asshole is the same no matter what country they are from and it is sad that the people in Udon need the money enough that they have to tolerate this sort of thing.
I dont think the people in Udon have much say in the matter!

No matter what we think or have to tolerate - the businesses here receive a much needed boost and I saw said personel walking behind the bars and controling the music (and to an extent the staff) but little was done as it takes just a moment to make your bar unpopular and that much needed US dollar goes elsewhere.

Should those behaving unreasonably be Brits, Canadians , Germans or whatever the same observations would be made. however the fact is that they were American military, and when all is said and done, whatever happens will be remembered long after they have gone home.

Yes they come here often for exercises - in large numbers once a year, and dont even think of staying in bed after 8.30am , coz your windows will shake and you will soon wake up ! lol

No need to worry they are not here currently , come to Udon and enjoy yourself and more importantly come to the Forumites meeting on the 6th :)

Paul 8)

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » July 20, 2005, 2:38 am

I will be there on the 6th, with my party hat. Just blowing of steam. I just dont want to be ever lumped in with the bad apples.

valentine

Post by valentine » July 20, 2005, 9:56 am

Well that was an interesting diatribe on Us military personnel. I would add my comments but have been so indoctrinated by the race relations act in UK I am reluctant to comment. But my feelings as an ex airforce (UK) pilot can be summrd up in one question. Which country invented the phrase, "Friendly fire"?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 20, 2005, 10:26 am

ouch, don't forget collateral damage. can't just call it 'oops' sorry, don't sue me. didn't mean to kill your children with our 'stupid bomb', you know budget cuts, them 'smart' ones are expensive.

kind of gives credibility to the statement 'let women run the world, they won't send their babies to war', but unfortunitely there is always a man hanging around somewhere with his hand on a button. then escalates from there.

'oh god, please guide my bullet so i can kill these heathen scum'

'allah, please send my scud to destroy these non believers, imperialist scum'

all this death in the name of god and allah and free will and the dollar-oil-or whaever someone wants. everybody is a freedom fighter or liberator. just warms you all over, or is that the blood draining out of my body.

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”