Wine, Beer, and Spirits Information

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Re: Wine, Beer, and Spirits Information

Post by Roy » August 22, 2009, 5:56 pm

I'm with you on that one OT in fact I am off to hunt a bottle or two or four or .... in just a mo so that's what I'll be doing today :guiness:

I would also have to question FY 1810's comments regarding Sa To.
Lao Khow and Sa To are made from the same base materials, Lao Khow is distilled to produce a greater alcohol content, Sa To is merely fermented like any other wine so logic tells me the Lao Khow would be more hazardous to health.
As for it only being consumed by the worst alcoholics, well that's nonsense FY. In my experience it is consumed much in the way the English consume Pimms. Hot, sunny day, mid/late afternoon, served chilled before hitting the hard stuff later. Even my wife who drinks next to nothing will enjoy a glass on the odd occasion.

Free the Doug 1

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 22, 2009, 6:07 pm

Yep,its good stuff guys.Maybe a bit of an acquired taste but dont let the first few sips let you think the cat has peed in your glass whilst you werent looking !
It took me about half a bottle to get into it,now its no problem.Its a wine taste more than a lager.
Its 8% proof and I found a couple of bottles had me feeling quite merry.Certainly more potent than Chang beer at 6.8% a bottle.
And at just 25 baht a bottle its a very cheap way to enjoy yourself 8)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 22, 2009, 6:27 pm

beer monkey wrote: Can i ask Fy 1810.....what exactly is 'Loas Cow'....is it a type of drink that comes from a cow..ie a alcoholic laden milk drink..? what is the Loas part...?
It is called "Lao Khao" Lao meaning liquor, and kao meaning rice. No milk in it, but it has a kind of milky look about it. I had some last New Years "down on the farm" It is made in a crock but I'm not sure of the ingredients other than sticky rice and water, possibly sugar to help the fermentation. It as not distilled just poured right out of the crock (see photo). It packs quite a punch, although it was consumed along with much Bier Leo, so I don't know which contributed more. :D

I also found some at the Tha Sadet Market in Nong Khai, a small crock obviously made for the tourist trade, as it was quite expensive (don't remember the price). It came with a straw and I was advised to let it ferment for 14 days. It was OK but not as good as the home brew. Never tried the Siam Sato, so can't compare, but I'll sure look for it.
Attachments
P1000870rs.JPG
P1000870rs.JPG (87.75 KiB) Viewed 2042 times

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 22, 2009, 6:38 pm

A couple of bottles had you feeling quite merry? A couple of bottle had me positively hysterical.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 23, 2009, 1:11 am

Lao Khao
It looks like the Korean Makli, smelled and tasted terrible. Had a roomy in the military while in Korea got drunk on "Makli" then a few hours later brought it all back up :-& :-& . Had to leave the room for 2 hours with windows wide open in January. Convinced him the next day to never partake of Makli again :D

Roy
udonmap.com

Post by Roy » August 23, 2009, 1:47 pm

I did not manage to get any Siam Sato last night but have just purchased a few bottles. I shall report my findings in a few hours.
It's all in the name of science you know ;)
Free the Doug 1

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 23, 2009, 6:01 pm

Roy wrote:I did not manage to get any Siam Sato last night but have just purchased a few bottles. I shall report my findings in a few hours.
It's all in the name of science you know ;)

I'm expecting a jibberish report today, or a scientific report tomorrow ............ \:D/

Roy
udonmap.com

Post by Roy » August 23, 2009, 6:56 pm

Just for you OT here is the jibberish report and I feel qualified to do this by having a honorary PHD in drunkenness.

Feel free to correct me any time you more experienced Sa To drinkers.

5 bottles in and the head is swimming, it is certainly very different to the high experienced from beer or whisky. Feels more like I have smoked some herb :shock:
Movements are slow but precise but cant concentrate for long, the dogs are barking next door but I don't care.
By the way the taste is like a ------ white wine and as IA said it tastes at lot better than it smells.

I am thinking of transferring Rooney for Pele, yes that should do it.

Take care u all

Mr Roy Perry
Free the Doug 1

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 23, 2009, 7:54 pm

Roy wrote:Just for you OT here is the jibberish report and I feel qualified to do this by having a honorary PHD in drunkenness.

Feel free to correct me any time you more experienced Sa To drinkers.

5 bottles in and the head is swimming, it is certainly very different to the high experienced from beer or whisky. Feels more like I have smoked some herb :shock:
Movements are slow but precise but cant concentrate for long, the dogs are barking next door but I don't care.
By the way the taste is like a **** white wine and as IA said it tastes at lot better than it smells.

I am thinking of transferring Rooney for Pele, yes that should do it.

Take care u all

Mr Roy Perry
Well there you go, now you got me curious and this just may complement my present state of mind 8)

Did someone say it can be purchased at 7/11??

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 23, 2009, 7:56 pm

Yes it can be purchased in 7/11... Get a few bottles on your way back from 652.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 23, 2009, 10:39 pm

IA

u been watching too many repeats of Angels and Demons, with all those numbers and their meanings.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 24, 2009, 1:52 am

Don't you just love that magical Thai word, "Plomotion?" Normally Tiger Beer is 80฿ for a large bottle but in Preecha Night Market if you buy 3 it is only 165฿. So if you buy 5 it will cost you 325฿ but if you buy 6 it will cost you 330฿.

And this is served by a girl that was sent from heaven. Image

Lee Rhodes
udonmap.com

Post by Lee Rhodes » September 8, 2009, 11:59 pm

Beer in the night market used to be only 50 baht for a large Leo but then it went up to 55 baht. Seems some places are 57 baht and in the UD bazaar can go to 60 baht, way too high. Tiger promotion beside the big screen is good value @ 165 baht for 3 bottles bringing it down to 55 baht per bottle. Anywhere cheaper than that?
Here Comes Lucy!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 9, 2009, 12:13 am

I wonder how those Tiger Girls get those dresses on, they look as if they have been applied by a airbrush.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 9, 2009, 8:38 am

Lee Rhodes wrote:Beer in the night market used to be only 50 baht for a large Leo but then it went up to 55 baht. Seems some places are 57 baht and in the UD bazaar can go to 60 baht, way too high. Tiger promotion beside the big screen is good value @ 165 baht for 3 bottles bringing it down to 55 baht per bottle. Anywhere cheaper than that?
So can we assume when you open your bar you will be charging TBH55 or less for a large Leo? :roll:

You will be very popular. :D

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » September 9, 2009, 9:40 am

Prenders88 wrote:I wonder how those Tiger Girls get those dresses on, they look as if they have been applied by a airbrush.
after a few beers i spend more time wondering how to get there dresses OFF not on .... :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 9, 2009, 9:43 am

When I was in the UD Plaza a few weeks back they had a promotion 3 Chang Draughts for 139 baht.
Not as strong as the 6.4% Beer Changs but quite drinkable at 5%.
So thats another brand for you,Lee. :D
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 12, 2009, 8:19 pm

Guys, I am here to tell you SiamSato is the $hits! Tastes better than a lot of the Califonia white wines that I've imbibed. Don't listen to the grannies. Try a couple and see for yourself. 26 baht per liter at Bic C. Your Thai kinfolk will think you're a born-again Buddhist when you roll up with a case of it. :guiness:

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”