Central parking.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Central parking.

Post by Old Grumpy » February 2, 2023, 4:28 pm

Now they have started charging for those parking over 2 hours.This seems rediculous to me I thought they want people in their store, surely the longer they stay the more their likely to spend. The shop renters are having a hard enough time paying the high rents they charge, witness the amount of closures after a very short time , the latest one of my favourites Bake a Wish.I know for most of us it's only peanuts but coupled with all the other odd 10bahts extra, coffee for example, it's starting to add up.

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Central parking.

Post by tamada » February 2, 2023, 5:12 pm

Too many freeloaders parking for the day, enjoying the free air-conditioning while window licking. Then buying naff all and going to eat elsewhere or stroll around UD Town.

Charge 'em!

Figure out how much of your allotted two hours is spent circling for a free parking space. Then figure how many more parking spaces will be freed up with this new rule.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » February 2, 2023, 6:16 pm

Seems to me most spaces are taken by those working at the complex. If you check almost an hour before opening the parking garage is pretty full

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2023, 6:27 pm

Charlieb wrote:
February 2, 2023, 6:16 pm
Seems to me most spaces are taken by those working at the complex. If you check almost an hour before opening the parking garage is pretty full
No way. All ten floors including rooftop and underground parking is full before the mall opens? Weekends are undeniably more busy and parking becomes a chore any time AFTER the mall opens. The only time I have seen the mall parking super-jammed is when there's something special on or it's a national holiday. It's been several years since the rooftop was my only option. Usually I can find a space in the underground parking with far less chance of some double-parked dimwit blocking you in.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 2, 2023, 7:34 pm

tamada wrote:
February 2, 2023, 6:27 pm
Charlieb wrote:
February 2, 2023, 6:16 pm
No way. All ten floors including rooftop and underground parking is full before the mall opens? Weekends are undeniably more busy and parking becomes a chore any time AFTER the mall opens. The only time I have seen the mall parking super-jammed is when there's something special on or it's a national holiday. It's been several years since the rooftop was my only option. Usually I can find a space in the underground parking with far less chance of some double-parked dimwit blocking you in.

Agree, lots of parking available before 12pm.....after that it'll take some driving around to find parking.....but you'll find parking (with the exception of special events, as stated above). Worst I've seen parking at Central was when they were holding graduation ceremonies there, even the Tawan Dang parking lot was full.

On the 2nd Floor Free 2 Hour Parking/Car Wash. Have no problems with them charging people who park there past the 2 hour limit and if you think about it....it makes sense (actually thought they were already charging).

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » February 2, 2023, 7:42 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
February 2, 2023, 4:28 pm
Now they have started charging for those parking over 2 hours.This seems rediculous to me I thought they want people in their store, surely the longer they stay the more their likely to spend. The shop renters are having a hard enough time paying the high rents they charge, witness the amount of closures after a very short time , the latest one of my favourites Bake a Wish.I know for most of us it's only peanuts but coupled with all the other odd 10bahts extra, coffee for example, it's starting to add up.
On all floors or just the 2nd floor? If all floors how are they managing it? With barriers and payment kiosks or some Somhai handing out tickets and you paying on exit? :-k :roll:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 3, 2023, 7:18 am

Always park outside, not being afraid to walk !!

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » February 3, 2023, 10:11 am

walk isn't the problem but the hot car when come back

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 3, 2023, 10:33 am

phen wrote:
February 3, 2023, 10:11 am
walk isn't the problem but the hot car when come back
+1000

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » February 3, 2023, 4:08 pm

deankham wrote:
February 2, 2023, 7:42 pm

On all floors or just the 2nd floor? If all floors how are they managing it? With barriers and payment kiosks or some Somhai handing out tickets and you paying on exit? :-k :roll:
I always use the basement parking , mainly because most of my shopping is food but also because I am entitled to use the disabled spaces just outside the entrance so my experience was down there only, I really couldn't say about the other floors.the ticket is given by a yarm sitting at a desk, which you have to pass again on the wayout and pay if applicable.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 4, 2023, 9:26 am

yup, only the 2nd floor for short term parking. I always go to the 5th floor where even on a crowded day I can find a place to park. If I get there prior to 1PM I can get one right near the entrance door. the lifts are 10 meters from the door so getting to any floor is no problem. I've never understood what appears to be a Thai aversion to parking on the higher levels. I'll see cars driving around the lower floors hunting for any spot or doing the aisle parking rather than going up to the 5th which as I said, always has spots..
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 4, 2023, 11:56 am

I couldn't agree more FrazeeDK. I find it crazy to see drivers trying to find a spot on and squeeze into it on the lower levels, when it's a doddle usually on 4, 4 1/2 or 5. Bit like the postman who restarts his motorbike every 15/20 meters down a soi.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 4, 2023, 1:44 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 4, 2023, 9:26 am
yup, only the 2nd floor for short term parking. I always go to the 5th floor where even on a crowded day I can find a place to park. If I get there prior to 1PM I can get one right near the entrance door. the lifts are 10 meters from the door so getting to any floor is no problem. I've never understood what appears to be a Thai aversion to parking on the higher levels. I'll see cars driving around the lower floors hunting for any spot or doing the aisle parking rather than going up to the 5th which as I said, always has spots..
Thanks for the tip. I would also use the 5th floor before covid management scuppered things and they limited access to the mall and closed off several entrances.

I would see the same trend at the malls in the US where there would be acres of single level parking but the locals would circle forever, stalking for parking spot closer to the mall entrance. My girlfriend at the time complained that they'd bring their cars inside the mall if they could. I will admit it was in Texas where it was mostly damn hot and her old Volvo wasn't air conditioned either!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 11:21 am

Was at Central yesterday and the underground garage had 1/3 of the parking area blocked off for 2 hour parking.

So, I can confirm as of yesterday both 2nd Floor/2 Hour Parking/Car Wash and underground parking area has 2 hour parking with charges being assessed for those parking longer then the posted 2 hours.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 5, 2023, 11:43 am

Mosquito wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:21 am
Was at Central yesterday and the underground garage had 1/3 of the parking area blocked off for 2 hour parking.

So, I can confirm as of yesterday both 2nd Floor/2 Hour Parking/Car Wash and underground parking area has 2 hour parking with charges being assessed for those parking longer then the posted 2 hours.
Good info, thanks. What bit of the underground is the 2-hour bit? I'm usually in and out in under 30 minutes but maybe I'll have to be careful where I park my bus.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 5, 2023, 4:22 pm

tamada wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:43 am
Mosquito wrote:
February 5, 2023, 11:21 am

Good info, thanks. What bit of the underground is the 2-hour bit? I'm usually in and out in under 30 minutes but maybe I'll have to be careful where I park my bus.

Ta
tam
Area is clearly blocked/coned off. After to two double doors entry points to Tops (Robinson VIP Card Holder parking uneffected, along with handicap parking), so basically the back end of the parking area....with the one double door access to escalator to 1st Floor Hallway.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2023, 6:53 am

I've used the 2-hour zone a couple of times recently. Seemed that finding a spot in there can be just as hard as the 'free zone' at peak times with the locals tending to queue up on the left side leading up to the pay station/exit, waiting for a space to free up.

On another note, I see that a lot of the 'previleged' parking bays remain vacant even when the underground parking is chock full of double-parked. What's the criteria for parking there apart from clean, expensive and Lao plated? I don't imagine they ALL have a Central T1 MasterCard, whatever that is. No window stickers either. Maybe I'll get the sports lorry washed at FES tomorrow, put on my Texas plates and give it a shot this weekend.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”