Mattresses

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
can123
udonmap.com

Mattresses

Post by can123 » November 18, 2022, 4:12 am

Please can members recommend a mattress by brand? In the UK there are several makers who make quality items and they are "household names". What about Thailand? We don't want rock hard ones nor do we want them to fail because of dodgy springs. My wife is always talking about "hotel quality". Does such a standard exist, please?

Are Homepro recommended ? Is it sensible to buy a mattress from Lazada when you cannot see it until it turns up at one's door? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Mattresses

Post by tamada » November 18, 2022, 8:08 am

The old maxim of you get what you pay for still applies. Regardless of where you buy, the best, top-end stuff that lasts for at least 10 years is always the most expensive.

There was a small factory that made custom and hotel-grade mattresses on Sukhumvit @ Jomtien. Maybe there's a bespoke local manufacturer?

I would add Index Mall and DoHome to your local mattress shopping venues.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 18, 2022, 8:39 am

I bought a Thai made, 72" Dunlopillo brand from a smallish furniture shop* when I first arrived here about 15 years ago. It has stood up well, and I have been very happy with it.

I think I paid about THB10,000 for it back then.

https://dunlopillo.co.th/en/mattress/c1 ... tegoryId=1

https://mattresscity.co.th/en/search?se ... o+mattress

* I think the shop is long gone.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » November 18, 2022, 8:40 am

We bought a 6 ft Thai K*ng size Sealy from Central Bangkok Chitlom for our rental condo in BKK back in 2008. Great bed and easy purchase/delivery in BKK.

After building in Udon 2009-2010 we ordered another mattress/box spring set from the same Central Chitlom (easy location at the time) to match our imported US K!ng frame. They checked the dimensions with us exactly since there are several different "K*ng" sizes. They delivered once again and the purchase went well. If I recall, they told us Sealy could actually make any special custom size if needed. I think it took a month to arrive after ordering but it was faster than our bedroom furniture set order from a different company as we placed it on the floor for the first few weekend visits to Udon back then.
can123 wrote:
November 18, 2022, 4:12 am
My wife is always talking about "hotel quality". Does such a standard exist, please?
Sealy do make a Hotel Collection https://www.sealythailand.com/products/ ... ollection/

Sealy are not on the low end price wise but have quite a variety of styles so laying down on a few would be my recommendation. Central, Index, even HomePro likely have a few models in Udon.

Finding a hotel or hospitality collection to test might be a little more tricky. I do like the ones IHG (Intercontinental, Holiday Inn etc group) use which are Sealy. I also like the Hilton, Serta beds and Marriott use their own line (likely made by Beautyrest) but are very comfy IMO.

https://beautyresthospitality.com/
https://www.shopmarriott.cn/en/c/the-marriott-bed

Some hotel chains offer sales of the exact make/model of bed you slept on but I think that is North America based (unsure).
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 18, 2022, 9:43 am

In 2018 we ordered a twin and a individual from https://www.latexinnovations.com/. an individual is 15cm, the twin 7.5cm thick. We've used them as toppers to our existing mattresses and they've served us well. I can't remember where I read about the company.....maybe on thaivisa.com....but the reviews led me to the company. No regrets. I can't remember the exact cost, but believe it was 10k for the twin/20k for an individual.......several years ago.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 18, 2022, 10:01 am

I have a sealy mattress bought from Homepro 10+years ago
Great mattress firm but not rock hard like some hotel's ones

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » November 18, 2022, 10:52 am

I have purchsed mattresses at thaimattressonline.com and am very happy about them. Here in Udon they have a shop opposit Bo Bay and just after the paintshop.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 18, 2022, 11:09 am

A Few Selections for You....As Jack says " You Can't go wrong with Dunlopillow Brand.....

As Tam says Try INDEX Living Mall they seem to only sell GOOD Quality Stuff....

Can you find out where the HOP INN Hotel group buy there's from, Every time I've stayed at Different HOP Inns Their Mattressers have always been very Comfortable

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 18, 2022, 11:24 am

A few weeks ago, I purchased this mattress at Home Pro with an additional promo discount of 10%, so I paid just over 30K. I have looked for a soft mattress in Udon for the past 12 years, and not until now have I found one that is soft enough for me. My last mattress was actually a fairly soft mattress with two 3" latex toppers on top, but even that wasn't soft enough for my ol' aching body. This new Picasso mattress is like sleeping on a cloud, and I highly recommend it if you need super-soft. Don't buy anything without spending time laying on it in the shop to make sure it fits your requirements. Just pressing down on it with your fists is not enough since when your entire body is laying on the mattress it gives an effect like a long board pressing on the mattress and not just a pointed fist. The mattress won't absorb the weight of a reclined body like the pressing down of a fist, so don't be fooled.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1144153?lan ... tvEALw_wcB
Attachments
Picasso Mattress.png
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » November 19, 2022, 5:02 am

Thank you all for your very helpful replies, they are much appreciated. My wife tends to go for cheaper items and I go for more expensive ones believing that "one gets what one pays for". This is essentially what you have all said.

I am very impressed that so many have taken the trouble to reply and treated my question sensibly. I know from experience that there are other Thailand related forums where my question would have been ridiculed.

Thank you all.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 19, 2022, 9:58 am

Just for info: big difference between latex and foam. Pluses/minuses on both sides.

One of these days, I'm going to destroy my monitor trying to swat that bug off of your avatar!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 19, 2022, 10:34 am

I bought a Duniopillo individual size mattress from Home Pro... was on one of these fake discount deals ended up paying 20k down from 30k ... also included "free" very good quality Duniopillo pillows x 2 bolsters x 2 mattress cover x 1 and a full set of bedding including sheets pillow cases and duvet.. seems to have been an excellent purchase.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » November 20, 2022, 10:10 am

parrot wrote:
November 19, 2022, 9:58 am
Just for info: big difference between latex and foam. Pluses/minuses on both sides.

One of these days, I'm going to destroy my monitor trying to swat that bug off of your avatar!
I know Latex but I am not sure what Foam is in a Matress. I have had a good Latex mattress and it was for sure very comfortable. Big minus is that it does not breath and if you have a tendency to sweet when sleaping this is no good.
I have now swtched to "a pocket sprung mattress", where you have a number of small springs that can move individually. This is just as comfortable as the Latex mattress I had before but it also breaths which is a big difference compared to Latex.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 24, 2022, 7:53 am

In my 3 decades here, I have furnished many properties and bought 20+ mattresses (mostly Thai individual eg 6 ft), and go straight to the Sealy staff, usually at Index since they have space to show more models though can get the same deals at a Home Pro, or SB in Bangkok. Not to say Sealy is better than other brands, can only say they are consistently very good and reliable. Usually choose a midrange model. Some are still like new 15 years later.

I recently bought a resale house in Udon as an investment or for later use (from Isan Real Estate!), turnkey furnished and lightly used, and move in ready. The mattresses were so uncomfortable though very clean, I wouldn't want to spend even one night on it, not sure how previous owner or renter tolerated it. I replaced the master bedroom mattress immediately.

Kate_Reed

Post by Kate_Reed » December 2, 2022, 12:29 am

I have Homepro, it is a nice mattress like for me

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”