Big C @ Phosi bakery

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
tamada
udonmap.com

Big C @ Phosi bakery

Post by tamada » December 9, 2021, 1:54 pm

I've only been in Big C briefly maybe four times since I got back but it looks like their in-house bakery department has been nuked while I was away. I only really went for their sourdough (sliced) or a French ball now and again but the only 'fancy' bread I have seen recently were a couple of focaccia-looking things. Has their bakery been sidelined to just doughnuts, croissants and small pseudo-pizzas or is there a secret, members-only bakery day? I see the shelves on the left are overstocked with the bought-in, sliced sandwich loaf from two or three different suppliers. Even their own sandwich loaf (which was pretty dire anyway) has disappeared. Maybe that's what the market demands these days?

The follow up question is where do you buy your (good) sourdough bread now?

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Big C @ Phosi bakery

Post by jackspratt » December 9, 2021, 1:58 pm

Big C Ban Dung.

However they only bake 1 per day each of the small and large loaves. If you leave your shopping till late, you can miss out.

OTOH, some days they have an unsold loaf from the day before, heavily discounted.
Last edited by jackspratt on December 9, 2021, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » December 9, 2021, 2:05 pm

Last week,they had a fairly good choice of in-house prepared breads, no more or less than normal. I am 95k away so only look in once a week to check. Big C Nong Khai has a very similar range of breads.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2021, 5:42 pm

Funnily enough, I dropped by this afternoon before 3 and there were two sourdoughs and one French ball. I grabbed one of the former and tracked down a baker hiding in their darkened bakery to slice it Apart from that, the trestle tables were full of croissants, donuts, brownies and other quick grabs for the locals.

It's a stark difference from 6 months ago when a late raid around 5:30 pm would see loads of 'large' breads with the yellow, must sell today, discount stickers. They have cut back on the amount they produce but maybe Thursday is the best day.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » December 9, 2021, 6:19 pm

Funnily enough, I dropped by this afternoon before 3 and there were two sourdoughs and one French ball. I grabbed one of the former and tracked down a baker hiding in their darkened bakery to slice it Apart from that, the trestle tables were full of croissants, donuts, brownies and other quick grabs for the locals.

It's a stark difference from 6 months ago when a late raid around 5:30 pm would see loads of 'large' breads with the yellow, must sell today, discount stickers. They have cut back on the amount they produce but maybe Thursday is the best day.
[/quote]

Remember off course Tops has a small range of good breads, and C2MU carry product.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 10, 2021, 7:25 am

I remember that Tescos all of them but especially the larger one near the Nong Khai Junction also carried a large variety of Breads, plus there is of course Makro whose bakery seems to spew out Bread products daily.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » December 10, 2021, 8:25 am

Khun Paul wrote:
December 10, 2021, 7:25 am
I remember that Tescos all of them but especially the larger one near the Nong Khai Junction also carried a large variety of Breads, plus there is of course Makro whose bakery seems to spew out Bread products daily.
Very true, but Tamada was asking about quality breads (sourdough) not massed produced crap. Makro do have a very limited range of good breads, however staff think they are Easter eggs and keep them well hidden.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » December 10, 2021, 8:39 am

tamada wrote:
December 9, 2021, 1:54 pm
The follow up question is where do you buy your (good) sourdough bread now?
there is a professional swiss bakerman running his small bakery next to rom yen 3 near big c.
if you ask me - among the best in town.
just preorder by email and collect the bread on thursday or sunday (fresh or frozen as you like).
you'll not regret it.

https://www.swiss-bakery.com/index.php? ... ces_master

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » December 12, 2021, 2:30 am

You should take a look at the breadbasket at Cheese 2 Meat You and you will never look for bread at BigC or Lotus again.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 12, 2021, 5:54 am

Got to agree, Cheese to meet you has best bread in town.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 12, 2021, 7:20 am

Quite a few very good bread options in Udon .. lots of variety via C2MU ,Papafarangs and the major supermarkets(Big C) if you get your timing right.

C2MU very impressive Christmas goodies display =D> =D>

Love most breads and been the one thing impossible to cut out of the diet , very strange but recently ive developed a real liking for cold toast ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”