Shopping Today

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Shopping Today

Post by parrot » June 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

I'm guessing the next generation will have to listen to grandma/pa stories about how people shopped in stores/malls long ago. And just like most of today's kids don't know what a telephone dial is (even though they 'dial' their phone), grandpa's kids will probably have a hard time understanding why anyone would waste their time 'going to the store'.
My knockoff croc's starting biting the dust a few months ago. I had bought them at one of those traveling markets that most villages sponsor a few times a month. I paid 100 baht for them a few years ago. I looked for a new pair at the traveling market......no have....I walked the entire space of BoBae......no have my size.......Lotus sizes only go up to 44 and I need 45......I even tried the back-alley markets near the fountain circle but, again, couldn't find the style and size I needed.
I resorted to Lazada......quickly realized I should have done that earlier. I found the pair I wanted, in the color and size and style I wanted.......ordered COD on 6 June. As my order was coming from China, expected delivery was 14-27 June. I got them today.....as I ordered....31 Baht shipping cost......with the original shipping label from Guangzhou, China to Bangkok (Suvarnaphumi Lazada Warehouse) to Udon and delivered to the door at our house 18km outside of town.
Living in the jungle just isn't like it used to be

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Shopping Today

Post by FrazeeDK » June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm

interesting that they slide through Customs with seemingly no tariff?? If only all international deliveries were this clean and simple...
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 14, 2019, 4:46 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm
interesting that they slide through Customs with seemingly no tariff?? If only all international deliveries were this clean and simple...

What ARE you suggesting :lol:

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 14, 2019, 6:59 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm
China is ASEAN+ and has also a free trade agreement with Thailand. That could explain a little bit. It really matters from where item is coming. Lazada has mostly from ASEAN/ASEAN+ area.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 14, 2019, 7:38 pm

Actually VAT or tax whatever you want to call it is only payable on orders worth 1500 baht and above. AliExpress already prices their tax liability into the price they advertise to you. Lazada companies are only agents for China purchases and sometimes you find a demand for tax from the post office before they will deliver.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2019, 10:55 am

I think most of our experience with Thai Customs was possibly gained through the highwaymen that stalked the baggage claim areas at the old Don Muang. Certainly was my only ever interface with a money-grabbing piece ofshit in a uniform. I have never had issues at Suvarnabhumi despite hauling all sorts of 'contraband' from the real world.

TBH, the Thai Customs regimen and their tariffs are both published and fair. More recently some may have had huge headaches with importing vitamins and supplements but that is more due to these falling under the remit of the Thai FDA who lamentably still operate in the dark ages. Others fall foul of duties being claimed on couriered packages and mistakenly blame DHL or FedEx or UPS where most times, they didn't bother to research if they needed to declare value and handily ticked the 'gift' box instead. Red rag to a bull that one!

As for parrot's fake Chinese crocs, when one can import a laptop and easily pay (or pre-pay) a fixed 7% import tax, I doubt if he bought two dozen pairs would raise any flags with Customs.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » June 15, 2019, 2:37 pm

i was stung for 1000THB when I had a DNA test kit sent over the kit was free and contained 5 large cotton buds because the letter with it said the test was 159 pounds they charged tax to that amount couldnt argue it out as DHL refused to deliver without payment most expensive cotton buds I have ever bought

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 25, 2019, 6:26 pm

I bought a new tablet a few days ago......today I went to buy a cover for it. There's a big phone/tablet cover/battery store on the second floor of Central, on the old side. I've been there a few times and always felt like the products were good quality and good price. The fellow showed me two different kinds of covers......I chose one and asked the price. The price was marked on the back.....450 baht....I said ok.........he said 300. He could have easily taken the 450 and pocketed the 150. He didn't.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 26, 2019, 6:43 am

Great to hear the news of businesses push their stock to the benefit of the consumer

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 26, 2019, 12:53 pm

parrot wrote:
June 25, 2019, 6:26 pm
I bought a new tablet a few days ago......today I went to buy a cover for it. There's a big phone/tablet cover/battery store on the second floor of Central, on the old side. I've been there a few times and always felt like the products were good quality and good price. The fellow showed me two different kinds of covers......I chose one and asked the price. The price was marked on the back.....450 baht....I said ok.........he said 300. He could have easily taken the 450 and pocketed the 150. He didn't.
Huh, either that or he charged you the wrong price, and has lost out on the 150 baht extra he should of charged. Maybe he will be docked a half days pay to make up for it.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 3, 2019, 1:47 pm

A few points i noticed ... shopping related.. nearly.

Big C Nadee ..popped in to use ATM n snaffle a waffle or two from the kiosk near the main door and noticed another 2 shop spaces now became vacant , been there a long time but obviously pulled the plug .. other than a few promo clothing vendors the phone stands and food court the whole downstairs had the appearance of a ghost town ..shame .

On another subject ... Just back from a trip to Bkk whilst there it was confirmed Tesco will in the very near future be bringing in their full range of BUDGET TESCO OWN BRAND food products ... Brits will know them Baked Beans at 12 bt can etc ,maybe the hard economic circumstances at the moment has prompted the move ?????

DMs booze business colleague has done the deal to bring in the TESCO budget food range and even better news it will include some BRITISH CANNED BEERS which we used to to distribute thus being re listed and available back into the market place. The below Beers are already in Thailand waiting clearance with the food range arriving very soon.

OSH
ABBOT
EAST COAST IPA widget
BELHAVEN BLACK widget

The budget food range and above beers will only be available retail in the Tesco large stores (NO OTHER SUPERMARKETS) with 3DM distributing ONLY THE BOOZE by the case covering Isaan .. im told prices retail per can in Tescos will be 130-140 bt per can whilst wholesale still to be set.

On another note ...SAD NEWS .. for anyone who frequents Pattaya .. one of the longest serving Pubs is closing down ..THE PIG n WHISTLE in soi 7 is to be no more , during my 9 yrs in Patts i enjoyed a few Christmas dinners there and it was along with the Sportsman the first venue to offer proper English Fish n Chips going back 20 years ago.
Even tho the building is freehold it appears simply to be closing or been sold closed .. lack of business ,, no longer viable to keep operating ,, more competition who knows .. according to the owner QUOTE Pattaya is on its arse with some places (Robins Nest Soi Bhuakhao) selling beverages at cost or even under cost price to get punters in hoping they buy food at a decent margin .. either way times must be tough when a long established venue like this simply closes its doors.. I heard also Cherries another former haunt is also closing down.

Strange times ahead here in LOS ..

I will update as soon as the BRIT CANS are ready to rumble ..looking at 7-14 days from now.

Happy shopping

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » July 3, 2019, 3:32 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 3, 2019, 1:47 pm
the whole downstairs had the appearance of a ghost town ..shame .

On another note ...SAD NEWS .. for anyone who frequents Pattaya .. one of the longest serving Pubs is closing down ..THE PIG n WHISTLE in soi 7 is to be no more. lack of business ,, no longer viable to keep operating ,, more competition who knows .. according to the owner QUOTE Pattaya is on its arse.
I heard also Cherries another former haunt is also closing .
Thanks for the update on the Tesco brand products.I will be a willing consumer.
Also it's interesting to get information from the sois regarding how business is going.
It appears to be the exact opposite to what TAT and associated organisations are sprouting.
Voiceover for hire.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » July 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Thanks for the update on the Tesco brand products.I will be a willing consumer.
Also it's interesting to get information from the sois regarding how business is going.
It appears to be the exact opposite to what TAT and associated organisations are sprouting.
[/quote]

It is always good news to hear of an increase in availability of UK goods. I stopped going to Tesco Nadee after they
stopped their excellent "Finest Range" , which had 2 separate shelves of goodies. However, they were seldom stocked properly, once a product had sold out it was never replaced.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 4, 2019, 7:30 am

Wondering whether the strong baht might make Brit food products more attractive (more profitable) for Thai grocery stores. Hope so.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 4, 2019, 9:02 am

TJ wrote:
July 4, 2019, 7:30 am
Wondering whether the strong baht might make Brit food products more attractive (more profitable) for Thai grocery stores. Hope so.
Probably already making more profit.But doubt passed on to the customer!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 4, 2019, 10:05 am

Probably already making more profit.But doubt passed on to the customer!

Is it Ever ???

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 4, 2019, 1:02 pm

Oh goody! More non-descript grey room-temperature Brit gruel on sale at Tesco!
Saving my coupons.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » July 4, 2019, 5:34 pm

made the mistake of popping into villa market today. 109 baht for 1 40% larger Mars bar. sooner Tesco stocks up the better!

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 4, 2019, 5:41 pm

Oh goody! More non-descript grey room-temperature Brit gruel on sale at Tesco!
Saving my coupons.
Giggles, You seem such a strange person. What on earth you on about?
Grow up FFS! Just be normal !

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » July 4, 2019, 5:58 pm

hairyharry wrote:
July 4, 2019, 5:34 pm
made the mistake of popping into villa market today. 109 baht for 1 40% larger Mars bar. sooner Tesco stocks up the better!
That's over $5 AUD!!!
:shock:
"A Mars a day helps you work,rest and broke"
Voiceover for hire.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”