Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by Barney » June 20, 2019, 1:27 pm

fdimike

The shape, size or orientation of the blades and socket is irrelevant. The previous posters were highlighting the voltage rating as opppsed to amp rating of the plug/socket.
If people are selling or buying American rated gear with a 110 or 125v rating then it is not fit for Thailand’s 220v system. International electrical standards are in place for a reason.
I would hope you are using the correct rating equipment.
If not then up to you and good luck. I am not here to tell you not to use lower rated gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 4:41 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 14, 2019, 5:13 pm
I should post a picture of my Extension Cord on my lawn mower, which I have been meaning to fix for maybe a dozen of years. Sure you'al would get a kick out of it.
Maybe tomorrow. :lol:
Don't want to pour gasoline on the subject, but what's the thoughts on my electric lawnmower hook up? How long do I have left? :lol:
Plug.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

RLTrader wrote:
RLTrader wrote:
I should post a picture of my Extension Cord on my lawn mower, which I have been meaning to fix for maybe a dozen of years. Sure you'al would get a kick out of it.
Don't want to pour gasoline on the subject, but what's the thoughts on my electric lawnmower hook up? How long do I have left? :lol:
Plug.jpg
I’ll assume you missus does the mowing. So you have a long time left
ImageImageImageImage

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 5:58 pm

Barney wrote:
June 20, 2019, 5:45 pm
RLTrader wrote:
RLTrader wrote:

Plug.jpg
I’ll assume you missus does the mowing. So you have a long time left
ImageImageImageImage

:lol:
Ya, I wish

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 20, 2019, 6:47 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:41 pm
RLTrader wrote:
It rather depends on if that junction can get wet or not and if there is any strain on it. If not wet and no strain, while there a few things wrong with it, if you don't touch it it's not going to bite.

Wet, strain, and touching with one hand the other touching an earth, maybe we should have an address to send flowers to. :D
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 20, 2019, 6:53 pm

The wire size of a 125 volt cord is nearly twice the size required for 220 volt, thus it is safe. Load is defined as amps times voltage for those who don't know.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 20, 2019, 6:47 pm
RLTrader wrote:
June 20, 2019, 4:41 pm
RLTrader wrote:
It rather depends on if that junction can get wet or not and if there is any strain on it. If not wet and no strain, while there a few things wrong with it, if you don't touch it it's not going to bite.

Wet, strain, and touching with one hand the other touching an earth, maybe we should have an address to send flowers to. :D
Had to say Sometime, being that the only time grass (mostly weeds after 15 yrs) grows is during rainy season, so the odds that the grass is wet is close to 100%

Then again I do have to unplug the mower and plug in the trimmers (grass & hedge) so it dam hard to not touch the connection. Guess I better check my life insurance policy, according these postings. :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 20, 2019, 7:17 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 20, 2019, 7:05 pm

Had to say Sometime, being that the only time grass (mostly weeds after 15 yrs) grows is during rainy season, so the odds that the grass is wet is close to 100%

Then again I do have to unplug the mower and plug in the trimmers (grass & hedge) so it dam hard to not touch the connection. Guess I better check my life insurance policy, according these postings. :lol:
A little (a lot?) of safety will be added if there is an RCCB/RCBO/ELCB protection.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 7:21 pm

June 20, 2019, 7:17 pm

A little (a lot?) of safety will be added if there is an RCCB/RCBO/ELCB protection.
Will guess you have Not read my previous posts?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 20, 2019, 7:30 pm

fdimike wrote:
June 20, 2019, 12:09 pm
Interesting post blue But I disagree with you completely. The same size and construction of every appliance here in Thailand using a FLAT blade plug is no different than 3 prong flat blade plug pictured earlier.
I'm completely in agreement. A plug rated at 15A at 125V AC is absolutely safe at about 27A 220V AC (thought there are few if any cases where you should use over 15A in a domestic setting) . As the voltage rises the required conductors size and contact area needed falls

I have just bought a new plug
IMG_7603-2.jpeg
Do the numbers magically make this safe. Take it to the US and you would have to down rate it?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 20, 2019, 7:30 pm

RLTrader wrote:
June 20, 2019, 7:21 pm

I did but don't remember the details, Sorry I didn't go all the way back to check.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 7:43 pm

June 20, 2019, 7:30 pm
RLTrader wrote:
June 20, 2019, 7:21 pm

I did but don't remember the details, Sorry I didn't go all the way back to check.
It wasn't in this link, can't remember what link it was in but something last week I think. I tried to stay out of this fiasco, but completely failed, it seems.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

fdimike wrote:
June 20, 2019, 12:09 pm
Interesting post blue But I disagree with you completely. The same size and construction of every appliance here in Thailand using a FLAT blade plug is no different than 3 prong flat blade plug pictured earlier. I've been using those same flat blade with a ground pin plugs on every extension cord I've made here in Thailand. I've never had any issues at all. Additionally, every surge suppressor sold here in Thailand has the sane type flat blade with a pin plug. I suspect those plugs are made in the US and have to have that rating on it. 220V plugs in the US have a completely different design.
It's not to do with the size, it is the insulation resistance ratings.
Just as a two bob multimeter may have 750vac range, it does not mean it is suited to that voltage in differing catagories.
i.e. a 2 bob meter will be ok at catagory 1 but never above.
Whereas a catagory 4 meter is fine wherever it is used. This all boils done to the insulation and the surge voltage resistance.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 21, 2019, 12:57 pm

First let me say that I am NOT an electrical engineer.

Some people have questioned the safety of using the yellow plugs ( I posted earlier) since they are USA rated for 125 V and 15 A.
I am curious to know how they arrived at that conclusion.

Everything ELSE being proper.. Use or NOT use the USA rated 125V, 15A in Thailand.. That s the question.

1-- These plastic plugs-sockets are made of a plastic casing and 3 metal screws. No moving parts.

2 – Assuming that you use good quality, well insulated, proper size wiring.
Something like a # 14 ( 2.5mm) 3 wires ( leads) cable. And the circuit being protected adequately….

3 – Plastic made so no magnetism.

4 – Power ( watts) = a * v

Let s say that you have a 1000 watt load…
1000 W = 240 V * A ( I just checked with a voltmeter and I have 235 V.
In Udon == A = 1000/240 = 4.16
So in Udon the plug would carry 4.16 amp.

In USA = 1000 W = 125 V * A
A = 1000 W / 125 V = 8 amps
So in the USA this plug would have to carry 8 Amps for the same load.

If it is safe carrying 8 amps, may I suggest that it would be safer when carrying a mere 4 amps.

My conclusion is this : The USA rated 125 V , 15 A plugs – sockets are safer here in Thailand than in the USA, for similar loads.

The only problem that could develop is the MELTING of the screw holders ( screws becoming loose ) due to the heat generated by the AMP. But again less probability that this would occur here, since the carrying currents are smaller.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”