Chickens.

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Chickens.

Post by Old Grumpy » November 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Last week in Central the Royal Project shop had a trade fair offering a lot of not normally seen items, among them were two varieties of chicken, Bresse and Black, neither of which I had tried before, so always being one for new culinary experiences I bought two of each .
The first one , the Bresse.
bresse.jpg
bresse.jpg (11.49 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
turned out to be as the name implies, a French variety, frequently described in cooking manuels, as the best ever chicken .Actually having an AOC certification, similar to Champagne or Parma ham, whilst I doubt if the ones I bought conformed with that certification, would they really have been raised in that remote region of France to be sold in Udon , not likely in my book, they will possibly be bred from that stock. now I have found countless recipes on how to cook them, enough to set my taste buds going, so looking forward to eating them . The second variety the Black , however looks to be a different problem .They are known as a breed as Silkies, quite a pretty bird, often kept as pets .
bd_chksilk01e.jpg
bd_chksilk01e.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Now despite perusing countless recipe books and online, I cannot find a European recipe for cooking them , every one seems to suggest cooking in the Asian style. Now all these just point to making a soup or broth from them , some even go as far as to suggest discarding the flesh and bones from the finished dish .Now with the novelty of the dark blue , black flesh and blue bones I thought I could make a rather unusual and interesting presentation dish of them, but if they really are inedible, doesn't seem I can .Has anyone ever cooked them in a more European way, like simply roasting, if so , how did they turn out? If not looks like its chicken soup for xmas .

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Chickens.

Post by parrot » November 20, 2018, 2:45 pm

The Royal Project Store was offering the Bresse chickens 2 for 399 Baht a while back. We've bought several. My wife makes a tomyom soup with them.....lots of herbs. The meat is darker than commercial chickens and has a more pleasant texture than CP style chickens where the meat falls off the bone.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 21, 2018, 6:44 am

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » November 21, 2018, 12:02 pm

dunroaming wrote:
November 21, 2018, 6:44 am
Hers one roast style receipt

https://eatthedead.com/2016/05/27/fowl- ... e-chicken/
Thanks for that link ,not sure if I should take it seriously or not. Maybe would go well with another recipe on there for "mummy's Scorpion pie" which requires me to catch 50 large or 100 small scorpions and save the shells to give it a crispy topping .Can they be serious? :-"
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 21, 2018, 3:45 pm

Sorry Maybe not the best example to post (my dry sense of humour I'm afraid) anyway on yahoo UK site searching their are many recipes available and not just soup options.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”