Best Bigscreen TV?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
milkman
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by milkman » June 26, 2015, 1:35 pm

Lads, I'm thinking of buying a 42 inch or bigger TV for my wife's parents. They watch a lot of TV and their vision isn't so good as they're old, so I figure a larger TV would help them. First of all, my wife says a 42 inch one is twice the price of a 32 inch one- around 16,000 baht. Could this possibly be true? I've never bought one so have no experience.

Next, I'm wondering what's the best make and model? My wife says every TV is fine nowadays, but I know some must be better than others. I want one that stands atop a table rather than on a wall. And, like everyone I guess, I'd like the best combination of quality and price.

And last, where is the best place in town to shop for it?

Thanks for any help you can give! :D

socksy
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by socksy » June 26, 2015, 1:52 pm

You should be able to pick up a good brand 40" for around ten to twelve grand through offers. Shop around ie Tesco Lotus, Big C and Makro
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

macca46
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by macca46 » June 26, 2015, 6:48 pm

Samsung is the biggest manufactuter if TV'S in the world I have just bought a 55 inch curved screen from Home Hub on sale 42990 B down from 49990 B LED HD has the lot with Smart Hub.

I shopped around which you have to do found that DO HOME, GLOBAL HOUSE & HOME HUB were far cheaper than the ones you have mentioned "socksy" it is pretty competitive at the moment.

milkman
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by milkman » July 1, 2015, 7:52 pm

I've been to Power Buy and Big C. One big screen TV I've seen is 17,000 baht for a 48 inch Samsung at Power Buy. Model UA48HA4200AKXXT. One year warranty.

The folks mostly lie in bed while watching. They're 12 feet away, so I think a 48 inch TV may be better for them than a smaller one. And comparing screen size to price, it seems like the best deal. A 50 inch TV I looked at was 25,000.

Still, I don't feel confident. Samsung is a standard respected brand, but I wonder why they're giving a better deal on this particular set? Maybe there's some problem, even though it looks okay at the shop.

Anybody have anything to say? How can I be sure?

reddevil
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by reddevil » July 1, 2015, 8:03 pm

milkman wrote:I've been to Power Buy and Big C. One big screen TV I've seen is 17,000 baht for a 48 inch Samsung at Power Buy. Model UA48HA4200AKXXT. One year warranty.

The folks mostly lie in bed while watching. They're 12 feet away, so I think a 48 inch TV may be better for them than a smaller one. And comparing screen size to price, it seems like the best deal. A 50 inch TV I looked at was 25,000.

Still, I don't feel confident. Samsung is a standard respected brand, but I wonder why they're giving a better deal on this particular set? Maybe there's some problem, even though it looks okay at the shop.

Anybody have anything to say? How can I be sure?
I have a Samsung 48 inch it has cost me 5,000 baht in repairs so for and both times it was the same problem TV is only 3 years old. I also have 2 x LG smart tv and they are great.

milkman
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by milkman » July 1, 2015, 8:24 pm

What was the problem? Is it fair from what you write for me to think that there's a problem with Samsung? Or with Samsung 48 inch TVs? For 8% more I can increase the warranty from 1 year to 3- should I?

old timer
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by old timer » July 1, 2015, 8:47 pm

OT can recommend the 42inch LG TV. I've got one on the wall facing my bed, about 10 feet from my eyes and the picture quality is superb and the sound is very good also. I got the SMART version for my bedroom which has Internet (good for spicing up those romantic moments with a WFB) and 3D but you don't need to get that for the in laws. LG is a popular make and is available in most electronic shops.
image.jpg
OT.......... \:D/

reddevil
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by reddevil » July 1, 2015, 8:53 pm

milkman wrote:What was the problem? Is it fair from what you write for me to think that there's a problem with Samsung? Or with Samsung 48 inch TVs? For 8% more I can increase the warranty from 1 year to 3- should I?
I can only write what happened to mine and after 1 year. The TV was on and working but after 5 min the screen went blank sound still working repaired it and then it has just happened again after 1 year.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by jai yen yen » July 2, 2015, 1:38 am

I have had good luck with Samsung both purchased in Thailand and in Canada, never any issues.

downunder
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by downunder » July 2, 2015, 6:57 am

I have a Toshiba, four years now, never an issue. Bought locally at the Toshiba shop on Prosi Rd., near Immigration

Udon Map
Admin

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by Udon Map » July 2, 2015, 8:40 am

milkman wrote:Still, I don't feel confident. Samsung is a standard respected brand, but I wonder why they're giving a better deal on this particular set? Maybe there's some problem, even though it looks okay at the shop. ... How can I be sure?
The short answer is that you can't. If it's for the in-laws, you may not need all the extras, like internet connectivity, direct connect with Netflix, etc. Definitely a path to check out when looking at TVs.

Why is this model relatively cheap? There could be lots of reasons, none having to do with its quality. It may not have internet connectivity, which is becoming increasingly popular. It may have been replaced by a slightly larger/better model. If economy is a goal, what you want is good enough, not best. Nothing at all wrong with a model which is a year or even two old,if it will meet the purpose.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by BobHelm » July 2, 2015, 9:03 am

Here is a link to Samsung showing the around 48 inch TVs they are currently manufacturing & trying to sell.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/all-products

I doubt that you will find that model listed.
The current trend for TVs from Samsung is their 4K range. These are the super new high quality, better than HD.
on top of that, for a price, you will get internet connectivity, curved screens, LED displays etc.
The previous range of TVs are now virtually unsellable in the Western Markets.
This is especially true for just about any manufacturer for TVs that are not 'smart' - i.e. automatically connectable to the internet.
That is why there are some great special offers around town for TVs at the moment - the models are now no longer made by the manufacturers. From the adverts on display around town the 32 inch models can now be obtained on specific models for as little as 5K baht.

If you are buying a 50 inch model for your in laws then my suggestion would be to do the rounds of the outlets others have mentioned above & buy the cheapest available no matter who the manufacturer is. It will be a discontinued model by the manufacturer but it will still fully satisfy the in laws needs.

milkman
udonmap.com

Samsung or LG?

Post by milkman » July 3, 2015, 9:37 pm

First of all, thanks to those of you who wrote in- I learned a lot.

Today I was hanging around one store, and learned something: The 17,000 baht 48 inch Samsung TV I was close to buying is a 2014 model. It may have been hanging around in the showroom for 1 1/2 years! For just another 3,000 baht, I can get a beautiful NEW 2015 Samsung or LG LED TV. The picture on each looks fantastic, each comes with a 1 year warranty. Anybody have any last minute opinions as to which is better- Samsung or LG?

old timer
udonmap.com

Samsung or LG?

Post by old timer » July 3, 2015, 10:02 pm

milkman wrote: Anybody have any last minute opinions as to which is better- Samsung or LG?
LG TV, and I have both of them.
Samsung make excellent phones.

OT.......... \:D/

milkman
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by milkman » July 3, 2015, 10:57 pm

Tell me more: What specifically is better about the LG TV- or worse about the Samsung?

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by BigBubba » July 4, 2015, 1:11 am

This is a tough one. Like what's better, Ford or Chevy. You'll get loyal fans from both camps. Since it's for the in-laws I'd get the best bang for the buck and definately get the extended warranty. AND make sure it also covers failure due to electrical surge from lightning strikes!
Every day I wake up is a good day.

milkman
udonmap.com

Best Bigscreen TV?

Post by milkman » July 11, 2015, 5:19 pm

All finished. A big success! THANKS to you all for your advice!

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”