Looking for Electric Space Heater

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » December 24, 2013, 1:20 pm

The water vapor will be nice for those of us with dry, itchy skin.

rjj04's quip ("Can I put it under my bead") reminds me of the practice of putting a new mother in a bed over charcoal fire to help her recover from her pregnancy and childbirth. Of course, the room was well ventilated. That bed sounds appealing right now :-)

milkman
udonmap.com

HEATER!

Post by milkman » December 24, 2013, 5:09 pm

My wife and I are in Khao Lak, where it's warm and sunny. But I understand it's been freezing in Udon. I'd like to send my inlaws money to buy my wife's elderly parents a heater, but don't know if Robinson or Tesco has one. Can anyone help me out on this one, and tell me how much it is? Thanks!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

HEATER!

Post by semperfiguy » December 24, 2013, 7:11 pm

milkman wrote:My wife and I are in Khao Lak, where it's warm and sunny. But I understand it's been freezing in Udon. I'd like to send my inlaws money to buy my wife's elderly parents a heater, but don't know if Robinson or Tesco has one. Can anyone help me out on this one, and tell me how much it is? Thanks!
Hey Milkman, I am the OP on this threat and so far no one has reported seeing any heaters for sale at this time in Udon. I have a friend looking for me in Bangkok and she can't find one either. This absolutely baffles me!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 24, 2013, 8:06 pm

Snow & Eskimos/tea & China spring to mind.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 24, 2013, 8:17 pm

Jan 1-3 is supposed to be in the 90's again, according to Accuweather.com. Can we survive till then? :roll:

waltpong
udonmap.com

Post by waltpong » December 24, 2013, 10:13 pm

just went to the new global house store in NongKai across from Macro and they were all sold out and wont be
getting more in, talked to a Sweden person I met and he was looking for one also, he said his friend bought an oil filled heather last week.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 27, 2013, 9:24 pm

About 5 years ago it was so cold BRRRRRRRR! After a week of just freezing, I had a friend buy me one in Bangkok. It arrived just the same day the cold broke and everyone laughed at me.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 27, 2013, 9:27 pm

A friend in Beverly Hills of all places has an idea for my wife's family and everyone who's cold: Get a hot water bottle and put it under the covers with you. I wish I'd thought of that!

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 27, 2013, 9:27 pm

I guess a heating pad would work just as well.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 28, 2013, 10:29 am

Best and safest way for the cheap charlies here who insist on saving the last n-th of a baht..........
Build a fire outside and chuck on a couple of rocks, then when nice and hot, transport inside.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 28, 2013, 7:35 pm

bluejets wrote:Best and safest way for the cheap charlies here who insist on saving the last n-th of a baht..........
Dear God, please forgive me.....I can't resist:
Part of the joy of living here is adapting.......so, if you suffer from dry skin when the humidity is low in Thailand, it'd be foolish to buy a humidifier for the few days in April when the humidity might drop slightly below 40%. And buying a closet full of warm clothes for a few handfuls of cold nights doesn't make much sense when they turn mildewy and take up space the rest of the year.
And so......I'll accept any accusations of being a 'cheap charlie' that anyone cares to fling at me with this latest relevation:
While at Central today.....scouting for a long-sleeved shirt (for those who've lived here long, a long-sleeved shirt comes with sleeves all the way to the wrist.......not commonly worn by tie-less Thais). I almost plucked down a few hundred baht for an unfashionable shirt at the X-port shop........when I was reminded of a pair of sleeves left over from my bike-riding days. You wear the sleeves in the early morning...along with a normal short-sleeve shirt....then rip off the sleeves at the stroke of 9AM, because by then, the icicles have melted from the eaves and a short-sleeve shirt is more than adequate.
I put that few hundred baht back in my wallet, trashed some of it in Swenson's on my way out of Central (empty-handed), and headed home. This evening, as the grass began to frost up again, I assembled my new winter shirt. Oh, happy me! No goosebumps on my arms and I won't deal with a closet full of moldy smelling winter clothes next rainy season.
And no fashion complaints from the villagers either!
Thailand's a great place to live.
Happy New Year!
Attachments
20131228_191515.jpg
20131228_191544.jpg

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » December 29, 2013, 6:59 pm

Hello everyone, I no longer live in Udon---now north of Chiang Mai. C/M Global house has these fake fireplaces in stock as of yesterday. You have to put together the outside housing (pain in the rear) but looks nice and provides some relief from the coolness.

I turned mine on an hour before retireing and it makes the room somewhat livable.

Price was 6,500 plus 452b VAT for a total of 6,900b.

You may want to call them to see if they will post it out to you. Number: 053-124555

cheers
fireplace off reduced.jpg
fireplace off reduced.jpg
Sorry about the photos....you get the idea
Attachments
fireplace on reduced twice.jpg
I. N.

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » December 29, 2013, 7:15 pm

Edit feature was like 10 minutes....The actual price was 6,448.40 and tax was 451.40 for a total of 6,900b. The receipt shows 4500 BTU and the back of the unit shows 1,500 watts. Also included are two 40 watt light bulbs (installed in the fireplace unit) that make the lovely fake fire logs.
I. N.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 29, 2013, 8:37 pm

Global has them in stock here, they range in size, style and price.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » December 29, 2013, 9:35 pm

papaguido wrote:Global has them in stock here, they range in size, style and price.
Global delivers & does assembly. I usually tip them out at 100THB per worker.

Anyone bothered to check Powerbuy?
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 30, 2013, 4:51 am

We have 4 of the portable oil-filled heaters and great insulation. 1 in our bedroom, 1 in the baby's bedroom, and 2 downstairs (daughter still uses her fan - go figure). Very energy efficient. The filament heats the oil, then turns itself off until the oil needs heating again. So it cycles about 5 minutes on and 15 minutes off at current evening/morning temperatures.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/ ... r/15162311

Yes, indeed, it's nice and toasty in the KD home. :) It must suck elsewhere. ;)

I bought them at Global House 3 years ago near the end of cold season for about 2,200(?) baht each. Last year, we didn't need to use them at all. I am surprised they are no longer available. Perhaps they are being described to the store clerks incorrectly?
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » December 30, 2013, 7:15 am

We bought a couple of those at Global three or four years ago. The brand name is SOLAR. They have a fan than can be turned on or off. We got one with 6 radiator vanes and one with 8 or 9 vanes. Quite honestly, this is the first cool season we have actually used them. Nice to have though on chilly mornings.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 30, 2013, 8:09 am

Shado wrote:We bought a couple of those at Global three or four years ago. The brand name is SOLAR. They have a fan than can be turned on or off. We got one with 6 radiator vanes and one with 8 or 9 vanes. Quite honestly, this is the first cool season we have actually used them. Nice to have though on chilly mornings.
Mine are Solar alright, but with no fan and 12 fins/vanes. Very, very quite as there are no moving parts which was another reason to buy (for the bedrooms, at least). I would not mind fans on the two downstairs, though. Let me know if you want to do an even trade for one or two. ;)
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 31, 2013, 10:24 am

Hi.
Why dont people get an electric under blanket. The one I bought back home worked great. It had two control settings. One for each side. Also had winter and summer settings and could be machine washed. Did me for over ten years. After this years cold snap I will bring one back, when I go home next year. And is far safer than some suggestions on here. Don't believe in having a naked flame with children about.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 31, 2013, 6:24 pm

lol! Wrap yourself in an electric blanket and plug it into the professionally wired home installs we all have and enjoy.

...any takers? lol!

TIT :)

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”