This Week's Shopping Deal

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
choi choi
udonmap.com

Re: This Week's Shopping Deal

Post by choi choi » March 15, 2022, 9:51 am

Here is my second crop coming on nicely.
I will make Tomato soup later(It helps ward off prostate cancer)
Why buy the seeds? I just use seeds from them!
tomato.jpg

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 15, 2022, 10:21 am

choi choi wrote:
March 15, 2022, 9:51 am
Why buy the seeds? I just use seeds from them!tomato.jpg
I buy a pack of cherry tomatoes from makro, 6 types, yellow,chocolate, tom thumb,queen and a couple of others. All you need to do is cut a thin slice from each ,plant them in sandy soil in a small pot . put a plastic bag over the pot and keep shaded , a week later you have a dozen of each plant.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 15, 2022, 11:15 am

papafarang wrote:
March 15, 2022, 10:21 am
choi choi wrote:
March 15, 2022, 9:51 am
Why buy the seeds? I just use seeds from them!tomato.jpg
I buy a pack of cherry tomatoes from makro, 6 types, yellow,chocolate, tom thumb,queen and a couple of others. All you need to do is cut a thin slice from each ,plant them in sandy soil in a small pot . put a plastic bag over the pot and keep shaded , a week later you have a dozen of each plant.
Khap pom! \:D/ :lol:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 15, 2022, 1:27 pm

I grow tomatoes every year, GROWING them isn't hard, but getting edibke fruit is. I loose about 75% from maggots or rot. I grow organically, so do not use chemical sprays.
Any advice on organic treatments?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 15, 2022, 1:41 pm

WHEN I came here I brought m,any seeds from the UK to plant and cultivate, not one was successful it seems the Seeds from the UK are different to what is acceptable here in terms of weather, heat etc.
But as I have been told, I know nothing , I just thought I would pass on my experience to others .
Not that many will listen some think that they know it all.

As far as bugs go had mnay plants here growing fruits etc, but as rick says many damaged due to little beasties, so as I am now alone, cheaper and stress free buying everything I want, staying away from the local open air markets as that is where foods grown with illegal pesticides reside as the growers cannot sell to businesses LEGALLY

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 15, 2022, 1:54 pm

rick wrote:
March 15, 2022, 1:27 pm
I grow tomatoes every year, GROWING them isn't hard, but getting edibke fruit is. I loose about 75% from maggots or rot. I grow organically, so do not use chemical sprays.
Any advice on organic treatments?
Simplest one is a few drops of washing up liquid in a spray bottle, deals with aphids/white flies . neem oil is good if you can find it. Deal with weeds with a little salt and vinagar solution. The only problem is you need to do it weekly
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 15, 2022, 1:55 pm

Some UK seeds work, some do not. Beetroot, carrots, lettuce ok. UK seeds i bring back.are usually for plant seeds not readily available in Thailand. In some cases they just cannot cope, or at best striggle, with the Thai climate. Do not bother with parsnips, broad beans (total failures); runner beans, peas, spinach all borderline ( will grow, but getting anything to eat rare).

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 15, 2022, 2:21 pm

Many good points re seeds n growing stuff ..i was of the mind many plants n veggies would not grow her due to the climate and more the insects n bugs etc ..
Still gonna give the tomatoes a whirll n see what happens

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » March 15, 2022, 2:37 pm

those chinese long beans that are popular for

stir fryes are grown locally and seem to thrive
long like coils of rope. info for the podcast :-s

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 15, 2022, 3:46 pm

rick wrote:
March 15, 2022, 1:55 pm
Some UK seeds work, some do not. Beetroot, carrots, lettuce ok. UK seeds i bring back.are usually for plant seeds not readily available in Thailand. In some cases they just cannot cope, or at best striggle, with the Thai climate. Do not bother with parsnips, broad beans (total failures); runner beans, peas, spinach all borderline ( will grow, but getting anything to eat rare).
A freind tried runner beans and they looked fantastic ,flowered well but not a single bean. From what I could tell in the UK they would be buzzing with bees. But not a single bee went near them. I suggested to him to hand pollinate next time as it could have simply been no bees being attracted ? .

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 15, 2022, 8:16 pm

My runner bean experience was similar. Got flowers but no beans set, did have a few bees around. In the UK, need a slightly shady microclimate for good bean set (provided by the leaves wben dense e ough) and under 30 centigrade. Thats why runner beans not normally grown in Southern Europe. Mine died when the hot season got really going.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 15, 2022, 8:31 pm

Papafarang is right you need bees
Our first year we had only passion fuit vines and gac vines Bloom a lot with a lot of fruits.
Later we added mok, leelawadee, rachawadi, kerm kao. Jasmine, etc. Bees and butterflies prefer these, now we have few passion fruits or gac fruits

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » March 16, 2022, 12:27 pm

Royal Project Shop - Central Plaza -
Yellow passion fruits 70 B /kg.
Enjoy.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 16, 2022, 3:14 pm

Re: This Week's Shopping Deal ( NOT ).....Just been to Makro Nong Khai I Like the Italian Baked Beans they sell ( Forgot Brand Name ) but has Yellow Label They have always been 37 Baht for ONE Can even that was too expensive,However Today I Noticed the price had INCREASED To,Wait for it...........69 Bloody Baht Sorry but that's Outrageous,That's one can they can keep.....

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: This Week's Shopping Deal - NOT

Post by tamada » March 16, 2022, 7:36 pm

Since we are talking about price hikes, Cathedral cheese 350 gr at Villa has been 215 baht for at least a couple of years. Before that, it was on a super special 199 baht for ages. Just noticed it's now shot up to 285 baht.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2022, 10:25 am

Talking to one of my ex-cadets, who works for an International Shipping Line as a Second officer , part of the problems is LACK of shipping and the extraordinary queues outside major ports PLUS ( wait for it ) lack of containers , he reckons it will take up to two years to rectify that particular problem as countries empty their imports and clear out containers for re-use . When sailing he used to have about 10-15% of storage space filled by empty or nearly empty containers moving around the world. Now that figure has dropped to about 4 % which means less empty ones moving so unable to be filled by exporters hence the supply chain stalled. Prices go up and the spiral has now reached the consumer .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2022, 8:12 pm

Sea containers in a (longish) nutshell.

https://www.budgetshippingcontainers.co ... er-prices/

I reckon Putin's invasion just knocked the ex-cadet's 2 year recovery prognosis into a cocked hat.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 19, 2022, 4:42 am

Why not make more containers? Not the cadet, you understand but rather the Communist Chinese?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 19, 2022, 2:15 pm

Earnest wrote:
March 19, 2022, 4:42 am
Why not make more containers? Not the cadet, you understand but rather the Communist Chinese?
Apparently the ships are carrying mostly full containers and the foreign ports of discharge are full of empty containers that nobody wants to ship back to China for free.

I think the Chinese have stolen a march on the looming, Putin-induced global economic crisis as they have been buying up loads of commodities they need to feed themselves AND their manufacturing industries FOB (free on board) which means the seller/shipper pays all the shipping costs until the cargo arrives at the buyer's store. Very clever these Chinese. That sort of stuff comes in bulk and not in sea containers so no, they Chinese don't need to make any more of them right now.

Back on topic: makro imported Norwegian whole salmon, gutted and scaled only 435 baht/kg.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 29, 2022, 7:41 pm

Spuds now 35 baht kilo at Makro \:D/
Looks like potato season back!
Spuds.jpg

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”