Self-service debit card purchases

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » June 4, 2011, 12:05 am

Anyone know where I can make a self-service debit card purchase using a USA bank card? I need to make 1 purchase per month to avoid a bank fee. In the States, I would typically simply use it once at the pump or buy a movie ticket at a kiosk. I haven't been able to find anything like that around Udon. I do NOT want to use it at an ATM (I would be charged a bank fee on the Thai side) and I would prefer not using it at a retail counter as sometimes those also charge a fee and paying for bubble gum with a debit card at 7-eleven or the like would be a bit embarrassing.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » June 4, 2011, 3:59 am

There is no Thai Bank fee at AEON ATM. :D

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » June 4, 2011, 8:18 am

nkstan wrote:There is no Thai Bank fee at AEON ATM. :D
I read about that, but also read this thread which put me off doing anything with Aeon:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/367 ... l-careful/

To be clear, I need to do a purchase transaction. Not a withdrawal. Help appreciated.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 4, 2011, 10:01 am

I hesitate to post this because I have little info, maybe something you can investigate for yourself. There's a gas station with self serve pumps (along with full service), I believe it's on Sirsuk Rd between Amphoe Rd and Prajak traffic Circle. I've only seen it in passing and remember seeing a sign for "self service", I'm guessing the pumps are equipped with a card reader, but don't know for sure.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 6, 2011, 8:12 pm

A correction to my previous post and in case anyone is interested, the self service gas/petrol station is located just up the street from Mojo's bar.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » June 6, 2011, 10:29 pm

I'll try and make it over there soon. Is it one of those yellow self-service pumps? If so, then it only takes cash.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 7, 2011, 6:48 am

7-11 dont take cards

daxbr
udonmap.com

Post by daxbr » June 7, 2011, 8:01 am

He is talking about making a debit purchase (not credit) where he swipes his card and enters pincode (instead signature) in-store. I never saw such thing in Thailand.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 7, 2011, 12:34 pm

KD - what about an online purchase? Some airtime from Skype or something like that? Also Amazon delivers to Thailand so you could order the book: "Chip and PIN in Udon".

OT............. \:D/

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » June 8, 2011, 4:45 pm

old-timer wrote:KD - what about an online purchase? Some airtime from Skype or something like that? Also Amazon delivers to Thailand so you could order the book: "Chip and PIN in Udon".

OT............. \:D/
That is a good suggestion. Finding something with a small enough price that I could actually use each month is the problem. If the purchase is more than the USD 15 fee, then it is a moot point. My Skype is paid up 1-2 years in advance already (took advantage of the discount offer). More suggestions welcome. :)

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 8, 2011, 5:03 pm

I don't know for sure (if they take them), but have you tried Robinsons/Central plaza. You could buy some clothes or kitchenware or electrical goods. They take Thai Debit cards and International credit cards, so they may take overseas Debit cards, particularly if it has a Visa or Mastercard logo.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 8, 2011, 6:04 pm

arjay wrote:I don't know for sure (if they take them), but have you tried Robinsons/Central plaza. You could buy some clothes or kitchenware or electrical goods. They take Thai Debit cards and International credit cards, so they may take overseas Debit cards, particularly if it has a Visa or Mastercard logo.
If the card is i.e. Visa Debit card, it can be used in BigC where one can buy even some candies. I have Thai Visa Debit card and it can be used there and amount is debited directly from my account.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”