English Premier League 2008-09

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: English Premier League 2008-09

Post by Zidane » September 14, 2008, 12:57 pm

Have to admit Liverpool deserved their win.United were very poor after the first twenty minutes.
I think its not just Ronaldo United are missing,which is obvious,but also the influence of Carlos Queiroz as Fergies no.2.United have won their last three titles with Queiroz there.
Liverpool looked a lot hungrier and wanted the win more than United,I'm afraid to say.
Still,early days....last season United picked up 2 points from the first three games and went on to win the title.....this time around they have 4 points.
Next Saturday will be probably an even sterner test for them.....Chelsea away and without Vidic.

Good wins,as well,yesterday for Arsenal and Chelsea.The top 4 of the Premiership is beginning to have a familiar look....Chelsea,Liverpool,Arsenal and......HULL CITY :D
Congrats to them winning 2-1 away at Newcastle who look in need of a new "messiah" or,at least,some form of divine intervention !
West Brom,as well,had a good win yesterday beating West Ham 3-2.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2008, 1:07 pm

What has Fergie non-nicities has Fergie done that would warrant hatefulness,win? :lol:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 14, 2008, 1:50 pm

its when he doesn't win his true colours come out , i have never ever heard him say that his team deserved to lose , or they were outplayed , or the other team was better on the day !!!!!! years ago , probably before your time Stan , united were dicked and i mean dicked 6 . 3 by southampton at the dell , i was there that day and united was just totally outclassed , le tissier known as le god to the southampton supporters scored the best hat trick i have ever seen . when fergie was interviewed at the end of the match , not one ounce of praise for anyone on the field whatsoever , the reason they were beaten so convincingly according to fergie was because united had the wrong colour shirts on !!!!!!! now think about this and ask me again why most supporters in england hate him . they do better than that, they dispise him . with fergie its WIN or WHINE !!!!!!!

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » September 14, 2008, 2:33 pm

how many times have you been told its liverpools year ?
1.liverpool 2.chelsea 3.mancs 4.arsenal 15.everton
maybe now youll listen to me and irish allan,ha ha!

southampton,nice ground but heading for third tier of english league.watch out or there local derby will be salisbury in the confarence !
le tissierr,great player to watch.whats gone wrong with the club?

sean

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 14, 2008, 4:14 pm

The thing is saint, you don't hear what Fergie has to say because he is upset by the media and refuses to do interviews with some of the broadcasting companies.
Can't remember what caused him to throw his toys out of his pram. :lol:

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » September 14, 2008, 6:46 pm

Sir Alex Ferguson: "Our defending was poor, we had a bad day. Overall they were far the better team. They harassed us into mistakes, and they must take credit for how hard they pressed us when we had possession. We should be able to handle that better. There was nothing to take out of that performance in any way."
Eurosport

So occasionally he does admit the other side were better :lol:
Free the Doug 1

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » September 14, 2008, 7:22 pm

souness wrote:how many times have you been told its liverpools year ?
maybe now youll listen to me and irish allan,ha ha! sean
You must have missed the other thread I had going with the poll in July. I have Liverpool as champions.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/e ... t9407.html

Remember the one where you and me were committed to Paolo psychiatric for treatment?
Zidane wrote:Galee,obviously the medication for the Liverpool fans resident in the Paolo is not working....they are still suffering from "delusions of grandeur" syndrome ! :D Zidane
I think we can check out of Paolo Sean, cancel the meds and replace it with large Tiger served by the lovely Deet in the night market...ImageImageImage
Zidane wrote:Irish Alan,not heard from you for a while,thought maybe Immigration had caught up with you at long last.Yes,certainly a title winning performance from Liverpool against Sunderland.Without Gerrard and Torres youd be mid table mediocrity but I think you know that already. Zidane
Do you still think so?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » September 14, 2008, 7:27 pm

Irish Alan wrote:
souness wrote:how many times have you been told its liverpools year ?
maybe now youll listen to me and irish allan,ha ha! sean
You must have missed the other thread I had going with the poll in July. I have Liverpool as champions.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/e ... t9407.html

Remember the one where you and me were committed to Paolo psychiatric for treatment?
Zidane wrote:Galee,obviously the medication for the Liverpool fans resident in the Paolo is not working....they are still suffering from "delusions of grandeur" syndrome ! :D Zidane
I think we can check out of Paolo Sean, cancel the meds and replace it with large Tiger served by the lovely Deet in the night market...ImageImageImage
Zidane wrote:Irish Alan,not heard from you for a while,thought maybe Immigration had caught up with you at long last.Yes,certainly a title winning performance from Liverpool against Sunderland.Without Gerrard and Torres youd be mid table mediocrity but I think you know that already. Zidane
Do you still think so?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 15, 2008, 7:43 am

Roy wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson: "Our defending was poor, we had a bad day. Overall they were far the better team. They harassed us into mistakes, and they must take credit for how hard they pressed us when we had possession. We should be able to handle that better. There was nothing to take out of that performance in any way."
Eurosport

So occasionally he does admit the other side were better :lol:
i stand a corrected and humble man !!!!!! maybe he has mellowed with age , or whiskey , or maybe just realised that stupid excusses dont cut it anymore !!!!

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

Post by stokiebaz » September 15, 2008, 7:12 pm

what a game we just had against everton,we have shown we are capable of scoring in prem but our defending is a bit naieve which is a bit worrying as our next two games are liverpool A and chelsea H.also defending has always been our strongpoint,but its true that in the prem you pay for any mistakes.still keeping my hopes up,at least til xmas..stokiebaz.. :yikes:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 15, 2008, 8:26 pm

stokiebaz,
Reading the reports you were a bit unlucky.A late winner for Everton and you had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside.
Keep the faith....look at Hull,they are currently 4th and you finished above them in the Championship.
Liverpool and Chelsea....tough,but you never know.....as they say,its a funny old game :D

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » September 15, 2008, 9:28 pm

Tim Cahill is a freak he just seems to turn up when a goal is really needed!! Lucky for Everton.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » September 16, 2008, 12:13 am

stokiebaz wrote:what a game we just had against everton,we have shown we are capable of scoring in prem but our defending is a bit naieve which is a bit worrying as our next two games are liverpool A and chelsea H.also defending has always been our strongpoint,but its true that in the prem you pay for any mistakes.still keeping my hopes up,at least til xmas..stokiebaz.. :yikes:
Unlucky Baz... I was in night market surrounded by the Thai Chang drinking Everton "supporters." I cheered when Stoke scored and was the only one. I have what's the story Rory Delap in my fantasy team so wanted him to score or assist. That throw of his really causes problems. Felt they were really unlucky.

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

Post by stokiebaz » September 16, 2008, 7:55 pm

yes guys,stoke get a lot of stick in media about delaps throws but its only like getting a free kick in same area except he throws it,he will cause a few problems this season..stokiebaz.. =D>

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Re:

Post by Irish Alan » September 19, 2008, 12:24 am

Chelsea fans must be happy to have one of their favourite sons back.

Wilkins handed Chelsea coach role

Ray Wilkins has been appointed Chelsea's assistant first-team coach following Steve Clarke's move to West Ham United.

The 52-year-old returns to Stamford Bridge where he played for six years from 1973 and also coached with Gianluca Vialli between 1998 and 2000.

Wilkins began his career with Chelsea, making 198 appearances and being made captain at the age of 18.

The former England player will assist Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.

The appointment marks Wilkins's return to the game after losing his coaching position with the England Under-21s last year following Peter Taylor's departure and Stuart Pearce's subsequent appointment as head coach.

After starting his playing career as a teenager at Stamford Bridge, he moved to Manchester United in 1979 and was part of their FA Cup-winning side four years later.

He went on to win 83 England caps and also played for AC Milan, Paris St. Germain, Rangers and Queens Park Rangers.

Wilkins began a short-lived managerial career at QPR in 1994 and had one season in charge at Fulham in 1997.

Following his first spell on the Chelsea coaching staff, he worked again with Vialli at Watford in 2001 and was then Dennis Wise's assistant at Millwall when they reached the FA Cup final.

His appointment has been made with immediate effect and his first game with the squad will see Chelsea take on one of his former clubs, Manchester United.

I was wracking my head trying to think who Wilkins reminded me of. Then it came to me.

Uncle Fester from The Addams Family:

Ray Wilkins:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 19, 2008, 6:53 am

:D Nice one Alan.

I think he will be a popular choice with the players.
Personally I'm not sure about his credentials. I did read somewhere that his was a "nice guy" appointment with him as the buffer between "bad guy" Scolari and the players.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 19, 2008, 10:15 am

As a player Wilkins had a reputation as an 'educated' player - one who used his attributes & skills rather than the more physical side.
I think it will depend very much on what the role of "coach" and "manager" actually are.
If the coach's job is to ensure that the players have the necessary skills and fitness on match day & the manager's job is to outline the 'style' of play & ensure each player knows what his role is (& tell him when he isn't performing it!!); then I don't think his (from what I have seen, rightly given) "nice guy" title should be a handicap. I don't think he would ever make a successful manager (as his record shows), but could be an inspired signing as a coach.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 21, 2008, 5:15 pm

Arsenal went to the top of the league yesterday,albeit temporarily maybe,after coming from behind to beat Bolton 3-1.
Champions elect,Liverpool,were held to a goalless draw at home by lowly Stoke.Despite fielding both Gerrard and Torres they were unable to break down Stoke although Gerrard appeared to have a perfectly good goal from a free kick disallowed in the second minute.But Stoke suffered the same misfortune against Everton last week so evens itself out over the season,probably.
Bet stokiebaz enjoyed drinking a few Carlsbergs last night ! :D
Newcastle were beaten 3-1 at West Ham and are now next to the bottom.Sunderland beat Middlesborough 2-0 in the North East derby and now lie 6th in the table.....amazing what a couple of wins can do.
In the other game Blackburn gained a much needed victory over Fulham 1-0.
Four more games today including Chelsea v Man United.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 21, 2008, 11:07 pm

Todays results....
WBA 1 Aston Villa 2
Chelsea 1 Man Utd 1 (United happy to settle for a point after Chelsea dominated the second half.At the moment,United are falling away badly in the second half of every game)
Hull City 2 Everton 2
Man City 6 Portsmouth 0 (hard to believe but true)
Spurs 0 Wigan 0

So Arsenal still lead the Premiership after yesterdays win.Their near London neighbours,Spurs,stay rock bottom.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 22, 2008, 6:50 am

Tevez and ronaldo to start a game together,barbatov to the reserves and then see what happens.

Return to “World Sports”