English Premier League 2008 - 2009

General sports news and discussions.

Will anybody replace Manchester United as champions?

Arsenal
7%
Chelsea
13%
Liverpool
20%
Manchester United
20%
Other
40%

Total votes: 15

Gozzo
udonmap.com

Post by Gozzo » July 15, 2008, 3:09 pm

747man wrote:
Gozzo wrote:
RALPHCUSENS wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Galee wrote:I admire folks being loyal to their clubs but you've got to realistic. Your voting with your hearts, not your heads.

If you were betting with your own money, you'd be mad to bet outside the big 3.[/quote]

C'mon Galee,stop toying with these Liverpool fans.Let Irish Alan and souness have their dream for another month ! :D

Zidane
Who are the big three then Zidane,????

Liverpool,

Everton

Portsmouth

:D :D :D :D :D
=D> =D> =D>
Welcome back,Gozzo,Where have you been ??Not watching AFL Have you ?? I've been fighting the corner on my own for the past Month against The Dream Boys of Irish Alan & Souness !! Now I'm afraid it's youre turn as I' back to work in the U.K Next week.........Keep on winding them up,They are EASY,to get going !!! :lol: :lol:
747. Don't stay away too long. I'm quite shy really. :^o

And because I am not a Pom, I don't possess the indepth expertise or Football upbringing of my learned cousins from the old dart. :roll:

But I will try my best. Enjoy the football while you are there mate.

Such is life.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 15, 2008, 3:38 pm

Zidane wrote:Irish Alan.....you keep going on about "not forgetting man walking on the moon.".......its a very very long time ago now about the same as when Liverpool were the top team in England. :oops:
Zidane
I mean the principle as opposed to the event... It is all about belief! Like every fan that shuffles through a turnstile on match day BELIEVES that his team will win. If they didn't believe they wouldn't go and the grounds would be empty... That what makes it the beautiful game... ImageImageImage

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 15, 2008, 6:06 pm

sorry, I A but i disagree, Ive shuffled through the turnstiles knowing full well we would get dicked , and praying by not a hat full, that what makes a supporter a supporter. as apposed to just a fan. !!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 15, 2008, 8:14 pm

saint wrote:sorry, I A but i disagree, Ive shuffled through the turnstiles knowing full well we would get dicked , and praying by not a hat full, that what makes a supporter a supporter. as apposed to just a fan. !!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
You got that right,Saint.........But DONT Forget IA is a Rednose Liverpool FAN,and They're ALL the same,thinking " We Are Liverpool and WE have a divine right to WIN " That's also why THEY are such BAD Losers !!! :roll: :roll:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 15, 2008, 8:17 pm

Gozzo wrote:
747man wrote:
Gozzo wrote:
RALPHCUSENS wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Galee wrote:I admire folks being loyal to their clubs but you've got to realistic. Your voting with your hearts, not your heads.

If you were betting with your own money, you'd be mad to bet outside the big 3.[/quote]

C'mon Galee,stop toying with these Liverpool fans.Let Irish Alan and souness have their dream for another month ! :D

Zidane
Who are the big three then Zidane,????

Liverpool,

Everton

Portsmouth

:D :D :D :D :D
=D> =D> =D>
Welcome back,Gozzo,Where have you been ??Not watching AFL Have you ?? I've been fighting the corner on my own for the past Month against The Dream Boys of Irish Alan & Souness !! Now I'm afraid it's youre turn as I' back to work in the U.K Next week.........Keep on winding them up,They are EASY,to get going !!! :lol: :lol:
747. Don't stay away too long. I'm quite shy really. :^o

And because I am not a Pom, I don't possess the indepth expertise or Football upbringing of my learned cousins from the old dart. :roll:

But I will try my best. Enjoy the football while you are there mate.
Gozzo,Just do your BEST,as I said THEY are EASY to get going !! Won't see much of The Toffeemen,I am going back strictly to work & make some money.....Back in Early December.....Get Ready for me IA & Souness !!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 15, 2008, 8:55 pm

747man wrote:
Gozzo,Just do your BEST,as I said THEY are EASY to get going !! Won't see much of The Toffeemen,I am going back strictly to work & make some money.....Back in Early December.....Get Ready for me IA & Souness !!![/quote]

Not back till December.....blimey the season will be nearly half over then !
Liverpool will be twelve points adrift of the big three and I.A. and souness will be under watch 24/7 in the secure unit !
Have a safe journey back. 8)

Incidentally theres an english guy from our estate coming back to Udon tomorrow.He was introduced to me a few months back and when I was told he was from Liverpool I feared the worst.
But,no,he supports Man United.....a bit of a rare species amongst Liverpudlians ! :D

Zidane

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 15, 2008, 9:12 pm

Zidane wrote:
747man wrote:
Gozzo,Just do your BEST,as I said THEY are EASY to get going !! Won't see much of The Toffeemen,I am going back strictly to work & make some money.....Back in Early December.....Get Ready for me IA & Souness !!!
Not back till December.....blimey the season will be nearly half over then !
Liverpool will be twelve points adrift of the big three and I.A. and souness will be under watch 24/7 in the secure unit !
Have a safe journey back. 8)

Incidentally theres an english guy from our estate coming back to Udon tomorrow.He was introduced to me a few months back and when I was told he was from Liverpool I feared the worst.
But,no,he supports Man United.....a bit of a rare species amongst Liverpudlians ! :D

Zidane[/quote]Zidane, Yes NOT back till Dec.Your O.K Are'nt you I mean you played for Real Madrid,So you've got LOADS in the bank......As for The Liverpool Guy,HE CANNOT be a TRUE Scouser,Sorry Mate but WE ALL HATE Man Utd........They're I suppose I am in your bad books now,But better the truth be told !!! Alan.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 15, 2008, 9:16 pm

And Thanks for the SAFE journey back bit,NOT looking forward to it,Though.....I HATE WORK !!!

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 16, 2008, 1:08 am

747man wrote:Incidentally theres an english guy from our estate coming back to Udon tomorrow.He was introduced to me a few months back and when I was told he was from Liverpool I feared the worst.
Oh my God... A rare species indeed. He needs urgent medical attention.

Ralph and me must drink the same water... I have the same feeling... ImageImageImage

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » July 16, 2008, 9:15 am

Zidane wrote:

Zidane
no never heard of this species.maybe he just told you he supports man utd as he is scared of you hooligans.ha ha!
or he supports tranmere rovers and is ashamed!

sean

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: English Premier League 2008 - 2009

Post by Brian Davis » July 16, 2008, 11:32 am

[quote="Irish Alan"]Will anybody replace Manchester United as champions?[/quote]

Just wouldn't it be great if ANY other team emerged to give the big boys with money to burn a kick in the wotsits? Better still, a team comprising UK-born players and kids brought through their own academy?

I can dream, but to me a little sad and boring when the major teams buy any promising young talent around, whether the players stand a realistic chance of getting into the 1st team or not e.g Sidwell at Chelsea?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 16, 2008, 11:43 am

Good point Brian. I'm as Nationalistic as anybody and would love to see more academy players coming through. But in the end we have to accept that the local talent just isn't good enough. Englands failure to qualify for Euro 2008 being an example. Agree Sidwell is a talented player, but not talented enough compared with the best in the world.

Football is big business, not a charity.

Gozzo
udonmap.com

Post by Gozzo » July 16, 2008, 1:23 pm

Galee wrote:Good point Brian. I'm as Nationalistic as anybody and would love to see more academy players coming through. But in the end we have to accept that the local talent just isn't good enough. Englands failure to qualify for Euro 2008 being an example. Agree Sidwell is a talented player, but not talented enough compared with the best in the world.

Football is big business, not a charity.
I agree with with sentiments from both Galee and Brian but surely there can be a compromise somehow!! I am not across all the details of the contracts and financial deals and ramifications etc.

I have discussed this with several football tragics while in Udon, but as is usual, the beer takes over and I cannot remember the result of the conversation. :oops:

Is there a possibility of introducing a quota of non British players?
I know it's probably not possible, but if the local players don't play in the top league they will NEVER improve.

England has a very proud history in football and IMHO it is very sad to see the quality of playing talent slowly disappear.

Surely nurturing local talent should be number one on the agenda.
It is sad when the almighty dollar is stronger than patriotism, but then again I am full of $h!t because I am dollar driven, or my favorite saying is I'm coin operated. #-o
Such is life.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 16, 2008, 2:26 pm

If there's one thing I agree with those idiots Blatter and Platini it would be that we should have quotas on foreign players. IMHO 6-5 is just about right.
But with the European Employment Laws it's just not going to happen.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 16, 2008, 2:50 pm

quote, gallee [ football is big business not a charity ] f~ck me i must be really old cuz i can remember when it was a SPORT . :( :( :( and of course you will never get british talent coming through or improving , when all the big clubs are w~nking there money away on high profile, alleged top talent farang players demanding stupid wages . sorry but the s~its going to hit the fan very soon i think.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 16, 2008, 8:47 pm

I've just read that the owner Simon Jordan has put my club Palace up for sale.
He has rubbed many up the wrong way, but says he's just been honest. He is apparently disillusioned with so many aspects of the game and many will remember the business with Dowie (found guilty by a court) and the stand against agents, which has cost the Club some signings.
The nail in the coffin for him has been the Tribunal awarding just 700,000 quid to Palace for Tottenham's acquisition of John Bostock, an England youth captain, youngest player to ever appear for Palace first team and one of the brightest prospects in the country. This young man had been at Palace's Academy since 7 years old.
Football has gone money-mad with frankly obscene prices(people still die in this world through lack of food, very basic health care) being paid in wages and transfer fees. If one has, unfortunately, to accept that the game IS now all about money to the detriment of other qualities, one can understand Jordan's frustration at the Tribunal awarding Palace 'a bag of crisps' for all the development time they've spent on Bostock and his true value to Spurs.
In the meantime, I'll be passing the hat round at the Complex if anyone fancies an investment! ?

Return to “World Sports”