Euro 2008 (Football/Soccer)

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 22, 2007, 2:54 pm

Jose, is one smart cookie. Maybe he will wait to see what sort of World Cup qualifying group England will get first. On the other hand with England out of Euro 2008 he can pick up at least a years pay with little to do... :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 22, 2007, 3:24 pm

Bloody Hell,what a disaster.....pulling back from 2-0 down and still losing !!
No British teams qualified for Euro 2008.......spose I'll have to support Switzerland as thats the qualified country I've visited most on my holidays !!

With McClaren we got a second rate campaign from a second choice manager way out of his depth.
For sure he will be axed today but who will replace him ? I'd love Mourinho or Wenger but think we've got Norfolk and Chance !

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 22, 2007, 3:28 pm

Shearing!!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 22, 2007, 5:18 pm

Source BBC News...
A selection of headlines from the papers after England lost 3-2 to Croatia and failed to qualify for Euro 2008: I'll Get My Croat - Daily Mirror. Out You Cro - Daily Star. A Wally With A Brolly - Daily Mail.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » November 22, 2007, 6:54 pm

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 24, 2007, 3:59 pm

Somehow I cannot see it but:
BBC Football wrote: Meanwhile, Franz Beckenbauer has urged England to appoint former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann.

Beckenbauer says Klinsmann, 43, has the right credentials having guided Germany to the semi-finals in the 2006 World Cup and played with Tottenham.

"The job would be ideal for him and England as well," Beckenbauer said.

"Jurgen has very clear ideas who can enforce them. He knows what he wants, he speaks very good English and would revel in the England job."

German football icon Beckenbauer, captain and coach of the teams that won the World Cup in 1974 and 1990, believes Klinsmann would not be afraid to shake things up within the England set-up.

Writing in his weekly column for Bild, he said: "Who can lead the boys with the three lions out of their coma? One name comes immediately to mind. Jurgen Klinsmann.

"He'd have three years until the 2010 World Cup to form a new team and he wouldn't have to worry about old baggage.

"Jurgen would be a new beginning for England. He is looking for a role in a country with a great tradition and appetite for football.

"He is a man with a clear vision and knows how to implement that vision even against resistance. I could well imagine England getting a fresh start with him.

"He speaks the language, has a great reputation there thanks to his time at Tottenham and was even footballer of the year."

Klinsmann took charge of Germany after they were again humiliated at Euro 2004 with a first-round exit.

He revamped and modernised the German FA (DFB), leading Germany to a surprising third place at the 2006 World Cup.

But a potential stumbling is Klinsmann's likely insistence that the FA would allow him the leeway the DFB did to coach Germany.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 25, 2007, 2:41 am

What pixxes me off about England failing to qualify for Europe 2008 is when, 3 days later you see Ferdinand and Terry, perfectly fit and able to play for their clubs!!!!!
Where's the passion and commitment to play for your country?
Obviously their number 1 proirity is towards their clubs, so why should the likes of me be dissapointed with our failure to qualify, when it is not important to the players?

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » November 25, 2007, 6:34 am

sorry to say this but after 20 more years of seeing the best in english football
we will not be able to get to the next world cup without a very lucky draw
english clubs are not letting there players play unless 100 % fit
me feels a broken fingernail is enoff to keep the soft c-nts playing sometimes

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 25, 2007, 7:16 am

Galee wrote:What pixxes me off about England failing to qualify for Europe 2008 is when, 3 days later you see Ferdinand and Terry, perfectly fit and able to play for their clubs!!!!!
Where's the passion and commitment to play for your country?
Obviously their number 1 proirity is towards their clubs, so why should the likes of me be dissapointed with our failure to qualify, when it is not important to the players?
agree with that.

lynxlynx
udonmap.com

Post by lynxlynx » November 25, 2007, 3:25 pm

I hope you will at least make it to the 2010 World Cup despite England's failure to remain in the top basket at the Sunday's draw. Your play hasn't been all that amazing lately, but these major championships without England won't have the right atmosphere. Good luck!

Fresh off its failure to qualify for next year's European Championship, England fell one spot to 12th in the monthly FIFA rankings released Friday by soccer's international governing body. Needing only a draw at Wembley to qualify for Euro 2008, England was beaten 3-2 by Croatia on Wednesday night. England's Steven Gerrard was despondent after England's stunning loss to Croatia. The stunning defeat, which led to the team firing coach Steve McClaren the following day, left England ranked 10th among European teams. That will likely cost it a seeding in Sunday's qualifying draw for the 2010 World Cup, in which the top nine European squads will be seeded. Argentina held on to top spot in Friday's rankings, while Brazil and Italy also stayed firm at second and third, respectively. Spain, Germany, the Czech Republic, France, Portugal, Netherlands and Croatia rounded out the top 10. Canada, which lost a friendly to South Africa on Tuesday, dropped four spots to No. 55. The Canadians fell behind Honduras to fourth place in the CONCACAF region, which was topped by Mexico (No. 15) and the United States (No. 19). Defending European champion Greece moved up three spots to 11th, Turkey went from 28th to 16th, Colombia from 25th to 17th and Bulgaria from 34th to 18th.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 26, 2007, 4:23 am

World Cup qualifying draw

Group 6 = Andorra, Belarus, Croatia, England, Kazakhstan, Ukraine.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » November 26, 2007, 5:10 am

beer monkey wrote: World Cup qualifying draw

=P~ looks like we have a chance to get to the first round anyways
come on england :? :? :? :? :?

lynxlynx
udonmap.com

Post by lynxlynx » November 26, 2007, 5:30 am

hxjohn wrote:
beer monkey wrote: World Cup qualifying draw

=P~ looks like we have a chance to get to the first round anyways
come on england :? :? :? :? :?
Yeah, doable ... good luck! :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 26, 2007, 7:21 am

And our heroes from Thailand are in tough with the likes of Japan, Bahrain and Qatar to face on the pitch. Chai-yo!!!

Lest anyone forget, it is the Grey Cup today featuring two teams from the prairies: Saskatchewan Roughriders vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The winner is the football champion of the Dominion of Canada.

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » November 26, 2007, 9:30 am

Gone off the National footie team so----Anyone for cricket? 3500bht with UBC/TRUE gets you 3 Test matches Between England and Sri Lanka starting 1st Dec. Any of the bars covering it? 7 hours of cricket a day, so just think how many beers one might consume

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 26, 2007, 1:33 pm

Can't believe Alan shearer is in the frame to be the new manager. He hasn't even coached a club yet! Capello would be a good choice... Not Mourinho, because when Gillett and Hicks sack Benitez I want Jose at Liverpool... :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 27, 2007, 3:06 pm

I think Capello would be a good choice,as well.He's had amazing success in Europe with the likes of AC Milan and Real Madrid....possibly his teams are just a little bit dour but if he's a winner what the heck !
No chance of Mourinho going to Liverpool,I'm afraid Alan.He's off to La Liga or Serie A in the summer,methinks.
If they get rid of Benitez you might end up with a dream team of Steve McClaren and Terry Venables......what a mouthwatering prospect.....it would make the Graeme Souness era seem like the golden age of Liverpool football !!

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 27, 2007, 3:31 pm

Zidane wrote:I think Capello would be a good choice,as well.He's had amazing success in Europe with the likes of AC Milan and Real Madrid....possibly his teams are just a little bit dour but if he's a winner what the heck !
No chance of Mourinho going to Liverpool,I'm afraid Alan.He's off to La Liga or Serie A in the summer,methinks.
If they get rid of Benitez you might end up with a dream team of Steve McClaren and Terry Venables......what a mouthwatering prospect.....it would make the Graeme Souness era seem like the golden age of Liverpool football !!Zidane
Yes the dream of United fans for Liverpool... I would rather have my ball5 extracted through my ar5ehole than have those 2 in charge. Well Tel is a good un but I want him in charge of the Irish national team. Jaysus I don't want much eh? Oh and santa can I please have a new bike.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 24, 2008, 2:26 am

The 11pm games will be okay but those 1.45am kick offs will be a killer.

M-150 anybody?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 24, 2008, 3:01 am

Irish Alan wrote:The 11pm games will be okay but those 1.45am kick offs will be a killer.

M-150 anybody?
Or Lao Coffee.

Return to “World Sports”