Premier League - the big four (English Football)

General sports news and discussions.

Newcastle, Spurs, Man City or Villa to replace Arsenal in top four.

Newcastle United
26%
Manchester City
33%
Aston Villa
8%
Tottenham Hotspur
33%

Total votes: 39

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 7, 2008, 3:36 pm

I think the Middlesborough fans will be delighted this morning, but maybe they should actually ask why their team can play this well against United (& Arsenal a couple of weeks back) & then be so poor the rest of the time??? Maybe a motivational problem???

Vidic missing was the real problem, Ferdinand has had all the plaudits this year (& the England captaincy) but Vidic is a 'real' defender, no frills, no fuss, row Z when needed. Not conceded a goal in 461 minutes with them both playing, lucky not to have conceded 4 in 90 minutes yesterday.

Oh well Galee may make the United Chelsea game worth watching.... :D :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 7, 2008, 3:49 pm

I blame my daughter!She always cheers for the opposition team when Man Utd. is playing! :lol:

Next time I will send her to bed early :lol: :lol:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 7, 2008, 8:02 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:I blame my daughter!She always cheers for the opposition team when Man Utd. is playing! :lol: Next time I will send her to bed early :lol: :lol:
No no, let her stay up... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!
[-o< [-o< [-o<

Robtaff
udonmap.com

Post by Robtaff » April 8, 2008, 6:06 am

Fantastic Result for Cardiff City to make it to the FA Cup Final. Now I have to find a decent bar in Udon that will be showing it in May. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 8, 2008, 9:37 am

Yes,Robtaff great win for your boys.....theres some FA Cup comments in the "Priceless lol" thread which was started after the quarter final results,for some reason :(

Galee, I see Peter Cech is sidelined for two weeks following a facial injury in training......hope he makes a full recovery.
Thats the difference between United & Chelsea....United and their fans believe in fair play ! 8)
Galee wrote:"Vidic and Ferdinand crocked.Game on." :D
Those comments could well come back to haunt you ! :twisted:

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 9, 2008, 12:00 am

Zidane wrote:Mind you I cant even remember the last time Liverpool won the Premiership ! Maybe some of the older forum members could help out with that one ! :D Zidane
Out of respect for the dead I moved this here but a big thank you to Donthani for pointing out that:
donthani wrote:Liverpool Football Club are an English professional football club based in Liverpool, Merseyside. Liverpool play in the Premier League, and are the most successful club in the history of English football, having won more trophies than any other English club. They have won a record 18 English League titles, although the last time they won the title was in 1990. Liverpool have won five European Cups, which is an English record.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 9, 2008, 12:36 pm

No disrespect intended to Charlton Heston,who I already stated was a very fine actor.

But I was only wondering when "the most successful club in the history of English football" will be adding to the league title LAST WON IN 1990 :oops:

Zidane

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 9, 2008, 1:15 pm

I can't see Liverpool winning the Premiership in the next 2 or 3 years.

It wont be long before were talking about THE BIG THREE. Liverpool being excluded due to never being in contention to win the league. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 9, 2008, 1:25 pm

You could well be right,Galee,or a team like Spurs might force their way into the top 4.
Sorry to see Cudicini has injured his hamstring and youll have to make do with Hilario in goal for a game or two.
Just have to hope having a dodgy keeper doesnt affect your bid for the title :D
Lets hope Drogba or Terry dont pick up injuries as well.

Like I said your comments about Vidic & Ferdinand may come back to haunt you :twisted:

Zidane

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 9, 2008, 8:50 pm

Zidane wrote:But I was only wondering when "the most successful club in the history of English football" will be adding to the league title LAST WON IN 1990 :oops:

Zidane
Oh no someone change the record pleeeeeeeeeeze!!! I worked with (Statistics alert) 96.34% Man. Utd fans and after their resurrection post 1992 they came out of the woodwork. Guys that previously didn't know what shape the ball was were now die hard united fans chanting into my face on a Monday morning.

Same is true in any sport whether it is Jesse Owens, Roger Bannister, Carl Lewis or Red Rum. They set the records for others to follow. For example as successful as Tiger Woods is he is still chasing Sam Snead and Jack Nicklaus. Is Tiger saying, "Hey Jack go on, win another masters."

Records are there to be broken and as yet Liverpool have not been caught. What would Liverpool have to achieve in being champions of England again? What have they to prove by being champions of Europe again?

The onus is on the Man. U's, Chelseas and Arsenals to overthrow Liverpool as the most successful team.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 10, 2008, 10:01 am

Alan,
I'm in a good mood today with United in the semis of the Champions League and look forward to the possibility of playing "the most successful team in the history of English football" in the final.....Barcelona & Chelsea permitting.
Nobody disputes Liverpools success over the years but surely what matters is whats happening now or the very recent past ?
Last year United were the top team in England,the previous two years it was Chelsea,the year before that it was the Arsenal team that went 49 Premiership games unbeaten.
The last time Liverpool were the top English team most of us were relatively young men :oops:
In between time a "huge club" like Blackburn has won the Premiership.

Sure United fans were quiet between 1969 & 1992 because they were relatively unsuccesful.
The second most successful team in England in the Champions League is Nottingham Forest but that didnt do them much good last season when they were beaten 5-2 at home in the Division One play offs by Yeovil.
When Liverpool last won the league,Oxford United were in the top flight and also appeared in the League Cup Final......now they are in the bottom half of the Conference.
Liverpools recent history consists of Benitez (superb in Europe ONLY) and the glory days of Graeme Souness,Roy Evans & Gerard Houllier. :cry:

Going back many many years Liverpools record at the top is unsurpassed,true,but nowadays only Chelsea,Arsenal and United have claim to be the top English club.
Without Gerrard and Torres Liverpool wouldnt even qualify for Europe and,in truth,their stature nowadays is nearer Everton,Portsmouth and Spurs than the top three teams.
I dont expect you to agree but sometimes the truth can be painful 8)

Zidane

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 10, 2008, 11:34 am

Ouch!!!. Now that's what I call putting the boot in. :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 10, 2008, 1:25 pm

Zidane,

Truth will hurt if I can find any… I think anybody that reads your last post can see it is like political spin. Yes last time Liverpool won the league was in 1990 and Margaret Thatcher was PM. When I was a kid the biggest team in Ireland were Leeds… Look at them now.

IF and that is a big IF Liverpool were in a lower league or lower down the premier league your post might have some substance and I might be sitting in a pub in Dublin crying into a pint of Guinness thinking about when we were big. However I am neither in Dublin or crying. I am very far from both.

What’s happening now or the very recent past? Liverpool F.C is in the semi-finals of the UEFA champion’s league… They are fourth in the premier league. Champions league winners in 2005 and in last years final. Recent enough?
Zidane wrote:in truth, their stature nowadays is nearer Everton, Portsmouth and Spurs than the top three teams.
On Tuesday Liverpool beat Arsenal in the UEFA Champions league and have also seen off Chelsea in previous CL encounters. When were Everton, Portsmouth and Spurs last in the champion’s league?
Zidane wrote:Without Gerrard and Torres Liverpool wouldn’t even qualify for Europe.
How can you hypothesise? Without Abramovich where would Chelsea be? Without Ferguson where would United be? Without Lennon and McCartney the Silver Beetles may have got booed off the stage in the Cavern Club and without Bjorn and Benny, Annifrid and Agnetha probably wouldn’t have won the 1974 Swedish national song contest.

Yes of course we want to win the premier league as it has been a long time but the question I asked remains, so what? This does not change their status as the CURRENT most successful English team. They are not by any means a Leeds, a Blackburn or a Nottingham Forest.

Once again let me use Tiger Woods as an example… As he tees off today he is the world's best golfer but he cannot retire just yet as he has to play catch up as people TODAY will still speak of Palmer and Nicklaus and to be the best he must emulate or surpass Bobby Jones and win a grand slam or 2.

My point remains… Football teams have their ups and downs and when they go down someone must come along to take up the mantle. Leeds failed to do it, Blackburn failed to do it and to a degree United failed to do it. You know as well as I do that when United came back to power in 1993 and after winning the league a few times they wanted and NEEDED to be champions of Europe 3 or 4 times to truly prove they were the biggest in England AND Europe. Yes they were champions of Europe for the second time in 1999 but you know as well as I do that is just not good enough as they were then 2 behind Liverpool.

They and any others are still playing catch up and the team they have to emulate and surpass is………. LIVERPOOL F.C.

This is where fans can only look to the future. Fans of ANY other teams will forecast that Liverpool will now go into decline and be replaced by Spurs or whoever you support. However you don’t really think any Liverpool fan believes that do you? They are high enough in the English PL and doing well enough in the UEFA champion’s league to retain their status as one of the top English teams.

How long did it take Ferguson to win his first English title? 7 years? Benitez hasn’t been at Liverpool for 4 years yet. That is the nature of a true supporter… To believe and I do not think I’m in cloud cuckoo land just yet. Liverpool are big enough to encourage investment and with that comes money for top players to compete a la Abramovich at Chelsea and then comes success.

Zidane my friend don’t write Liverpool off too soon… The fat lady isn’t singing just yet. She is still at singing lessons.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 10, 2008, 2:34 pm

Alan,
I think if you read my post you will see its Liverpools performance in the Premiership I am pointing the finger at......not in Europe.
However,as you brought your recent record in Europe up......
2005 you won the Champions League BUT WERE 5TH IN THE PREMIERSHIP.
2007 Runners up in the Champions League.......3RD IN THE PREMIERSHIP.

And if you look at the current Premiership table after 33 games...

Manchester United 77 points
Chelsea 74 points
Arsenal 71 points (then a big gap to)
Liverpool 63 points
Everton 60 points
Portsmouth 56 points

Surely you have to admit that Liverpool havent been a major force on the domestic scene for a long time now ??
I think maybe Benitez's singing lessons should be more in english ! :D

Zidane

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 10, 2008, 7:23 pm

Zidane wrote:Alan,
I think if you read my post you will see its Liverpools performance in the Premiership I am pointing the finger at......not in Europe.
However,as you brought your recent record in Europe up......
2005 you won the Champions League BUT WERE 5TH IN THE PREMIERSHIP.
2007 Runners up in the Champions League.......3RD IN THE PREMIERSHIP.

And if you look at the current Premiership table after 33 games...

Manchester United 77 points
Chelsea 74 points
Arsenal 71 points (then a big gap to)
Liverpool 63 points
Everton 60 points
Portsmouth 56 points

Surely you have to admit that Liverpool havent been a major force on the domestic scene for a long time now ??
I think maybe Benitez's singing lessons should be more in english ! :D

Zidane
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Hages
udonmap.com

Post by Hages » April 10, 2008, 8:36 pm

Irish Alan - EXACTLY

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 10, 2008, 8:41 pm

Ha,ha,ha. It does amuse me how even the most sensible of people can be reduced to morons when it comes to discussing football (myself included here :D :D ).
The one thing I do believe is that ANY club will only find success if it makes a sensible & rational decision when appointing a manager & then sticks with that decision. Managers appointed as a 'quick fix' seldom succeed in anything other than spending money.
Top 4...
United (bias involved here). Most successful manager of the Premiership. Have a few issues, Scholes, Giggs, Neville all at end of life. Record of 'youngsters' coming through the ranks not what it was, but still has some very good young players in the team. Probably the best counter attacking side in the world.
Arsenal - unbelievably successful manager. His record of finding young players & then maximising their potential is unbelievable. Unbeaten for a complete season is remarkable, but even more so when they play very attractive attacking football.
Chelsea are successful (currently) because they are throwing unlimited money at it. Morinio was world class as a motivator of players, but has gone. Large rumours of player unrest & the probability that there will be much movement at the close of the season. The results may be worth it to Abramavich but the football is pretty dire. One of the last grounds in England that a neutral would go to if they wanted an entertaining game. Who knows who will be manager & playing there next season??
Liverpool ...umm.. where to start??? Have one of the best strikers playing in Europe (& no, I don't mean Crouch :D ). Have Stevie G & Charagher - so (as the pundits say) a good 'spine'. Don't have much to offer apart from that. The 'squad' is pretty poor to be honest. But they have had success under the manager but it seems to be '2 feet forward, 1 foot back'. However, unless Morinio suddenly becomes available then they must stick with him.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 14, 2008, 12:03 am

Just to keep in the good books with the mods... Took it up here :D
BobHelm wrote:ha,ha, welcome Alan - good win today though & I am sure that u & souness are happy...best goal was scored by Blackburn, but that is of little consequence.. :D :D
I don't care if Santa Ponsa Cruz beat 10 Liverpool players twice and scored they still get f**k all points. AND Liverpool were denied 2 blatant penalties because mister Magoo Wiley dropped his contact lenses.

However a win is a win is a win!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 14, 2008, 12:10 am

Thank you Alan....good match to watch which Pool deserved to win. Won't comment on the penalties, but they didn't need it anyway... :D :D
Just happy we defeated the Ars... maybe not deserved (not sure had to watch it on the net :( ) but a win is a win.. :D :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 14, 2008, 12:16 am

And speaking of the Ars, united did a Mister Tongs... Kao chai mai? :D

Return to “World Sports”