Grass Roots Football 23/24

General sports news and discussions.
747man
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Football 23/24

Post by 747man » November 22, 2023, 3:48 pm

tamada wrote:
November 22, 2023, 2:24 pm
Morocco weren't at all dull in the WC but generally, I would agree. There's always the great expectations of Egypt or Nigeria that play out boring draws whereas the rising African stars like Cameroon and Ghana have been pretty much a flash in the pan.

Here's the current African top-ten but maybe only the top three or four would get a look in

Screenshot_20231122-141844~2.png
Morocco weren't at all dull in the WC,Certainly NOT as DULL as Scotland anyway.... :lol: :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2023, 4:39 pm

samster wrote:
November 22, 2023, 2:33 pm
Despite the plaudits from the football luvvies, Morocco were very dull at the last World Cup. Their games in the knockout stages stunk the place out unless you enjoyed seeing France, Spain and Portugal pummelling a stout rearguard action with the latter 2 teams showing how toothless they actually were. Could be wrong but I think Morocco scored 1 goal in those 3 games.
And then they got exciting and entertaining and their fans were awesome.

Germany on the other hand...
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 23, 2023, 10:02 am

tamada wrote:
November 22, 2023, 4:39 pm
samster wrote:
Despite the plaudits from the football luvvies, Morocco were very dull at the last World Cup. Their games in the knockout stages stunk the place out unless you enjoyed seeing France, Spain and Portugal pummelling a stout rearguard action with the latter 2 teams showing how toothless they actually were. Could be wrong but I think Morocco scored 1 goal in those 3 games.
"And then". Seems you agree with me and are suggesting they got exciting after they were knocked out! The entertaining Moroccans are all in peoples distorted memories slanted by the joy of seeing an underdog triumph.

The Portugal and Spain games were stinkers. Just checked and Morocco had less than 30% possession in each. The Iberians spent 90 minutes passing the ball around in front of a packed Moroccan rearguard. Dull, dull, dull. A bit like watching a Sean Dyche team.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 23, 2023, 10:37 am

samster wrote:
November 23, 2023, 10:02 am
tamada wrote:
samster wrote:
"And then". Seems you agree with me and are suggesting they got exciting after they were knocked out! The entertaining Moroccans are all in peoples distorted memories slanted by the joy of seeing an underdog triumph.

The Portugal and Spain games were stinkers. Just checked and Morocco had less than 30% possession in each. The Iberians spent 90 minutes passing the ball around in front of a packed Moroccan rearguard. Dull, dull, dull. A bit like watching a Sean Dyche team.
Dyche must be the coach of the cheating Evertons.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 23, 2023, 12:58 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
November 23, 2023, 10:37 am
samster wrote:
November 23, 2023, 10:02 am
tamada wrote:
samster wrote:

Dyche must be the coach of the cheating Evertons.
Don't YOU Think it's about time YOU Went back to Canada ?? To Watch dsome Canadian SOCCER !!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 30, 2024, 2:41 pm

Accrington Stanley took out Forest Green away and edge into playoff contention.

Blackburn Rovers thumped Wrexham 4-1 at Ewood, ending the Cup dreams of the boys from Hollywood.

Peterhead beat league leaders Stenhousemuir at Balmoor. Closes the gap on the leaders a wee bit but they need to watch their backs as that gap is only 5 points.

Fort William went from putting 8 past Alness to taking 5 from Loch Ness. Remaining in fourth place with a couple of games in hand.

"Nae so bad", as Uncle Duncan would say.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 24, 2024, 3:38 pm

Nobody's talking football any more so, it gives me the opportunity for a quick gloat whilst it's going well.

Leeds (luckily) beat Leicester last night to move closer to them at the top of the Championship table. The game was full of attacking football with an abundance of flair players from both teams. Great entertainment, particularly when compared to the dull football played by some of the clubs struggling in the EPL (Everton anyone?)

This season has been outstanding considering where we came from in August with the club in chaos. I've banged on in the past about Bielsas legacy and the regeneration of our youth team. Last night 17 year old Archie Gray scored his first goal for Leeds (technically on own goal) and, has been outstanding all season. No idea what our teams average age is but, I'm guessing less than 23.

Add to that, the next generation will play (and probably get thrashed) by Liverpool in the quarter finals of the Youth Cup in a couple of weeks. On the fringe of that team is another from the Gray dynasty. 15 year old Harry is Archie's brother and is, apparently, even better.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2024, 4:59 am

I was reading an article about the EPL and their 'parachute' payment system designed to cushion the financial losses of the 3 teams thaat get relegated from the EPL to the Championship.

It looks increasingly like the same 6 teams that got promoted and/or demoted in 2022/23 will be the same 6 team that go through the EPL and Championship's 'revolving door' end of this season.

The article reveals how the teams benefitting from the demotion parachute have a different budgetary focus than the 'also rans' of the rest of the Championship where most teams already have wage bills that exceed monthly income. The plight of teams falling foul of FFP rules is also discussed, with the very thin line being trod between investing in players that will guarantee being competitive and blowing one's budget. Of course, the first response is to sack the manager.

Everton's long-standing financial issues aside, it looks like Nottingham Forest will be penalized and they probably can't afford the financial sanctions (or demotion) that the likes of a Man City can bounce back from. Like Glasgow Rangers when they were fined and dropped 3 leagues, with deep pockets, they were back in the top-flight in 3 years. Water of a (obscenely rich middle-eastern sovereign wealth funds) duck's back.

Anyway, unless Everton falter, it looks like the same 6 teams will be swapping places. The 'parachute' is being seen as a bungee cord which financially, doesn't serve the rest of the Championship (and lower) very well at all.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 25, 2024, 1:37 pm

The parachute payments last (I think) for 3 years so, it gives, in theory, 9 clubs a better chance of promotion.

This season has been a bit of a fluke notwithstanding the parachute payments. I cant remember a season when the 3 promoted clubs performed so badly whilst the 3 relegated clubs were in the promotion race.

The nature and stature of the clubs involved helps create this scenario with the 3 relegated teams being, arguably, the 3 biggest clubs outside the EPL and vice versa.

The irony of all this of course is that if Forest and Everton are (rightly) penalised, the punishment cannot be retrospective. If we could turn back time, Leeds and Leicester would still be struggling in the EPL now whilst the 2 cheats would be top of the Championship with their parachute payments,

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 16, 2024, 11:04 am

The BBC celebrating a girls team beating the boys. Ridiculous when the development of kids at this age far exceeds the difference in sexuality.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-68816466

It gives me the chance for a quick rant though.

I was listening to a podcast from a sports phone in in the UK the other day where the hosts were discussing the lack of "out" gays in the mens game compared to ladies football. The female host said "that's because women are more sensible".

I've been involved in coaching kids football. The girls/womens game is dominated by butch females to the extent that more feminine girls are bullied out of the game. Fact.

The sheer hypocrisy and misrepresentation of facts nearly made me reach for the phone until I realised that the podcast was 6 weeks old. Aah well, I'll vent on here.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2024, 12:28 pm

samster wrote:
April 16, 2024, 11:04 am
The BBC celebrating a girls team beating the boys. Ridiculous when the development of kids at this age far exceeds the difference in sexuality.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-68816466

It gives me the chance for a quick rant though.

I was listening to a podcast from a sports phone in in the UK the other day where the hosts were discussing the lack of "out" gays in the mens game compared to ladies football. The female host said "that's because women are more sensible".

I've been involved in coaching kids football. The girls/womens game is dominated by butch females to the extent that more feminine girls are bullied out of the game. Fact.

The sheer hypocrisy and misrepresentation of facts nearly made me reach for the phone until I realised that the podcast was 6 weeks old. Aah well, I'll vent on here.
Female coaches using weight and beauty shaming in the game isn't new but you're right, like racism masquerading as locker room banter in male cricket, it's mostly ignored until someone manages to make a court case out of it.

The Beeb is just going with the flow. Watch the adverts on ITV and count the number of them presenting ridiculous images of the "average" British family with an increasingly improbable ethnic and cultural mixture with the bonus handicapped member.

I feel your vent
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “World Sports”