World Sports Hockey

General sports news and discussions.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: World Sports Hockey

Post by jackspratt » January 7, 2023, 8:55 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 7, 2023, 6:01 pm
Whilst on the subject of professional leagues, how many countries run 100% pro field hockey leagues?
If you mean full-time professional - very few I suspect.

But isn't this thread about world-wide, rather than professional?

I'm not sure how that deflection came about.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 7, 2023, 9:20 pm

JS I think the two go hand in hand. To be a worldwide sport you need a well established and funded national body.

Think about it.

Football (soccer)
Golf
Boxing
Cricket
Basketball
Baseball
Formula 1
Tennis
Rugby Union
Athletics
Rugby League

Even lesser spread sports like Ten Pin Bowling , yachting & Netball have strong professional leagues and are popular in more than a handful of countries at an elite level.

All of these are quite widespread, they manage large budgets that fuse administration between professional and amateur codes. I cannot think of a single sport with a worldwide reach of more than a handful of participating countries that are not thus organised
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 7, 2023, 9:26 pm

Are you confusing full-time ie professional administrations, with full time, professional competitions/leagues?

They are very different things - believe me, I have been involved, and know the difference.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 7, 2023, 9:51 pm

Poor Whistler has been caught out yet again and is trying to do the old run around (bringing professional leagues into the discussion) to justify his initial error in not recognising that hockey is a world sport.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 7, 2023, 10:00 pm

If you wish LYM. I have made my thoughts out, if you chose to disagree up to you.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 7, 2023, 11:01 pm

Whistler wrote:
January 7, 2023, 9:20 pm
JS I think the two go hand in hand. To be a worldwide sport you need a well established and funded national body.

Think about it.

Football (soccer)
Golf
Boxing
Cricket
Basketball
Baseball
Formula 1
Tennis
Rugby Union
Athletics
Rugby League

Even lesser spread sports like Ten Pin Bowling , yachting & Netball have strong professional leagues and are popular in more than a handful of countries at an elite level.

All of these are quite widespread, they manage large budgets that fuse administration between professional and amateur codes. I cannot think of a single sport with a worldwide reach of more than a handful of participating countries that are not thus organised
You HAVE to be joking if you think Baseball or Rugby can be classed as "worldwide". Formula 1 in about a dozen countries with drivers from about six or seven of the 200 odd countries that make up "worldwide"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 7, 2023, 11:22 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 7, 2023, 11:01 pm

You HAVE to be joking if you think Baseball or Rugby can be classed as "worldwide". Formula 1 in about a dozen countries with drivers from about six or seven of the 200 odd countries that make up "worldwide"
Be so good as to tell us your definition of "worldwide" as it relates to playing of sport, statts,

Then I'll come back to it in the morning.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 8, 2023, 7:50 am

jackspratt wrote:
January 7, 2023, 11:22 pm
stattointhailand wrote:

Be so good as to tell us your definition of "worldwide" as it relates to playing of sport, statts,

The debate has gone global overnight.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 8, 2023, 11:09 am

jackspratt wrote:
January 7, 2023, 11:22 pm
stattointhailand wrote:

Baseball 2023.PNG
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... y-baseball

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 8, 2023, 11:22 am

Rugby.

Elite nations
New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy, Fiji, Samoa, New Guinea

Strong presence
USA, Canada, Japan, Russia, Lebanon, Netherlands.

Not too bad.

As for formula one, an immense world wide following. Participation in motor racing in general throughout the world is very, very large F1 is part of that.

Return to “World Sports”