Winter Olympics

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Winter Olympics

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2021, 12:02 am

Interesting that there is all the hype about Quatar getting Footie World Cup, but nobody seems to care about giving the Olympics to China and then corruptly letting theit Hockey team into the tournament even though they only just managed to beat Australia in the World Championships and are ranked 32 in the world (even with all their Canadian Chinese on their roster). Meanwhile the likes of Norway (11th placed ranked) are excluded

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Winter Olympics

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 23, 2021, 1:03 am

That's not fair. Norge deserves a chance to compete.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 23, 2021, 4:51 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 23, 2021, 12:02 am
Interesting that there is all the hype about Quatar getting Footie World Cup, but nobody seems to care about giving the Olympics to China and then corruptly letting theit Hockey team into the tournament even though they only just managed to beat Australia in the World Championships and are ranked 32 in the world (even with all their Canadian Chinese on their roster). Meanwhile the likes of Norway (11th placed ranked) are excluded
Is that worth starting a war over ??? if so wrong thread ... China are also in the spot light over the missing tennis super star whose name i wont even attempt .. seems she accused a very up politician of molesting her and now shes disappeared ..maybe in hiding or some thing more sinister ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2021, 5:52 am

To put your mind at ease DM the Tennis person was locates 1-2 days ago
"Chinese Tennis Star Peng Shuai Tells IOC She's Fine in Call as Concerns for Her Wellbeing Remain"

https://sports.yahoo.com/missing-chines ... p_catchall

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 23, 2021, 5:59 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 23, 2021, 5:52 am
To put your mind at ease DM the Tennis person was locates 1-2 days ago
"Chinese Tennis Star Peng Shuai Tells IOC She's Fine in Call as Concerns for Her Wellbeing Remain"

https://sports.yahoo.com/missing-chines ... p_catchall
Good news ... the first pics of her a day or so ago were rumoured to be fake ..but it appears shes ok , possibly needs to be checking her rear view mirror more often and beef up her security.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 23, 2021, 7:05 am

Doodoo is a little bit on the naive side, which I'm sure you have noticed.

Hope this helps,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2021, 8:03 am

The cynicism of the IOC knows no bounds and it has been like that for longer than we care to remember and certainly before I was born. How else can they explain the aberration of the 1936 Olympics? The Games are no longer an altruistic dream of the amateur sportsperson to have their hard work and devotion recognized by their peers before they move on to the serious work of getting paid for their professional skills and talents. The Olympics is a huge cash cow for corporations, certain vested interests and a huge flag wave of normalcy and acceptance for a host nation, regardless of how much they lobbied/paid to get the nod.

Having said that, is it wrong to get all shouty about human rights violations in China (or Qatar or Saudi Arabia) when the UK government is barely redressing their Windrush moment, Germany's government still pays lip service to the genocide they committed in Namibia, Australia's dragged their feet on saying the word "Sorry" to their indigenous, Canada's allows the Kamloops Children files to be somehow magicked away to the Vatican for safekeeping and the US has only just exonerated the Groveland Four, 72 years after the fact?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 23, 2021, 8:08 am

Naive about what?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 23, 2021, 8:44 am

Exactly.

Hope this helps,

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2021, 9:54 am

stattointhailand wrote:
No need to huff and puff, statts - it is an Olympic rule that teams (in all events) of the host country automatically qualify.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 23, 2021, 11:08 am

jackspratt wrote:
November 23, 2021, 9:54 am
stattointhailand wrote:
No need to huff and puff, statts - it is an Olympic rule that teams (in all events) of the host country automatically qualify.
thats an odd one thinking about Australian ice hockey. :lol: mind you Jamaica participated in a winter Olympics :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2021, 6:55 pm

papafarang, if it was a case of the home team competing and not winning, then perhaps there is a case for letting the "home" nation compete. In this case the Chinese are ranked 32nd which in comparison is like England playing the San Marino U15 team at football (it really is that huge). If Norway ranked 11th are allowed to play they will probably be beaten by 9 or 10 goals in at least 2 of their three group matches and stand no chance of reaching the medal rounds, the Chinese will be nothing more than an embarrassment to both themselves and the sport, with a new world record of goals scored on offer to both USA and Canada

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2021, 7:12 pm

Here ya' go, statto ](*,)

There is a good and logical reason for "home team" automatic qualification - host countries want to get paying bums on seats, and attract a home audience for broadcasts.

If you are looking for purity, the next Ice Hockey World Championship is in Finland in May 2022.

Perish the thought if Australia ever scores the Winter Olympics. :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 23, 2021, 8:17 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 23, 2021, 6:55 pm
papafarang, if it was a case of the home team competing and not winning, then perhaps there is a case for letting the "home" nation compete. In this case the Chinese are ranked 32nd which in comparison is like England playing the San Marino U15 team at football (it really is that huge). If Norway ranked 11th are allowed to play they will probably be beaten by 9 or 10 goals in at least 2 of their three group matches and stand no chance of reaching the medal rounds, the Chinese will be nothing more than an embarrassment to both themselves and the sport, with a new world record of goals scored on offer to both USA and Canada
Or like England playing Iceland in Bloody Football!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2021, 9:11 pm

Thats ok Jack, and I can imagine British bums on seats in the same scenario would be singing and chanting (especially if we managed to score and make it 1 - 39, but unfortunately most other countries/fans do not have the same black sense of humour that the Brits have

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 23, 2021, 10:57 pm

I am sure there was plenty of singing and chanting at the indoor volleyball in London in 2012, where the GB men's team, ranked somewhere above 100 in the world, lost all 15 sets played in their 5 preliminary games.

Unfortunately, the team failed to make it into the final round. :lol:

If it is any consolation, your sheilas (also ranked above 100) did a bit better, winning 1 match, and 3 sets.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2021, 11:59 pm

I very much doubt (apart from a few mums & dads) that there were enough spectators at volleyball to raise a song or chant ...... might have been a few long mac guys in the front row of the sheilas games but I doubt they cared too much about the score

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 24, 2021, 8:04 am

Here ya' go, statts - Earls Court packed to the rafters with spectators to watch the Pommy blokes take on the Gli Azzurri.

Every one of the fortunate ticket holders singin' and chantin' with that special brand of English black humour.

(Seems like you will need to click on the Watch on Youtube link to enjoy the game.)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 25, 2021, 12:11 am

Have to admit that a bit of me hopes China are allowed to compete, just to see what scores USA & Canada rack up against them. Perhaps china can take the world record off Thailand.?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 25, 2021, 4:51 am

stattointhailand wrote:
November 25, 2021, 12:11 am
Have to admit that a bit of me hopes China are allowed to compete, just to see what scores USA & Canada rack up against them. Perhaps china can take the world record off Thailand.?
China might surprise a team like Norway, Australia or China-Taipei.

Return to “World Sports”