MLB Post Season

General sports news and discussions.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

MLB Post Season

Post by jackspratt » October 6, 2021, 7:23 pm

The mighty Red Sox took a huge step towards their next Fall Classic victory by wiping the heavily favoured Yankees in today's Wild card game.

(For our forum "rounders" luddite - you know who you are :D - , I am talking about baseball here).

While I am sure Uncle Tilo was disappointed with the departure of the Canuck Blue Jays, he will be heartily rooting for the northern representative of the AL East against the imposter Florida Sunshiners.

Over the course of the next week or two, it will also give the forum knowledgeable a chance to debate and bicker over the origin of the term "World Series". :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: MLB Post Season

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 8, 2021, 8:46 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 6, 2021, 7:23 pm
The mighty Red Sox took a huge step towards their next Fall Classic victory by wiping the heavily favoured Yankees in today's Wild card game.

(For our forum "rounders" luddite - you know who you are :D - , I am talking about baseball here).

While I am sure Uncle Tilo was disappointed with the departure of the Canuck Blue Jays, he will be heartily rooting for the northern representative of the AL East against the imposter Florida Sunshiners.

Over the course of the next week or two, it will also give the forum knowledgeable a chance to debate and bicker over the origin of the term "World Series". :D
I am going with the dark horse Milwaukee Brewers to win the World Series. Their pitching is first rate with Barnes and Woodruff starting and Hader in relief. Their hitting is Milwaukee's weak point and will need Yelich to bounce back from a woeful season. I haven't liked the Beantowners since Teddy Ballgame (The Splendid Splinter, Ted Williams) retired in 1960 or 1961. The Blue Jays were an exciting team and, if their bullpen had not blown a number of games in May and June, could have ended up second to the Devil Rays instead of having a 4th place finish. Seattle was a pleasant surprise too. Tampa is amazing. They always seem figure out a way to beat teams and I hope they demolish Boston in three straight games. There is talk of Tampa playing half of their home games in Montreal in the near future, which would be nice for a Toronto-Montreal rivalry.

By the way, the Yanks were not heavily favoured over the Red Sox. New York only had two good hitters, Judge and Stanton, one starter, Cole, and a very good bullpen. If you could shut down Judge and Stanton, you had a good chance of defeating the Yankees.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 11, 2021, 8:55 am

No demolition here, Uncle. Sox now in the box seat.

Should be interesting tomorrow, with a combined 16 pitchers used today - 6 Sox, and 8 Rays.

Harking back to the Wild Card game, the Yanks were favoured by 8 of the 10 pundits on MLB.com.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 11, 2021, 10:37 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 11, 2021, 8:55 am
No demolition here, Uncle. Sox now in the box seat.

Should be interesting tomorrow, with a combined 16 pitchers used today - 6 Sox, and 8 Rays.

Harking back to the Wild Card game, the Yanks were favoured by 8 of the 10 pundits on MLB.com.
Amazing game tonight. Who will be available to pitch tomorrow? The Sox have been hitting the ball well vs. Tampa's pitchers, which has surprised me. I was happier than the managers to see that proper rules were applied during extra innings.

Yes, the pundits favoured the Yanks, but they forgot that New York has two dangerous hitters whereas Boston has a stack of them. They probably based their prediction on the fact that the former Bronx Bombers have a better bullpen than the Beantowners. The games in all four playoffs have been pretty good so far. The Brew Crew has to start hitting if they want to advance further.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 12, 2021, 9:36 am

A couple of great games in Boston. Congratulations Red Sox!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 19, 2021, 9:46 pm

A Loonie for your thoughts, Uncle ........ can the mighty Beantowners go all the way?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 20, 2021, 7:28 am

If the Sox play the Dodgers in the Final, I am cheering for Boston. So far every prediction I have made since the beginning of the playoff has been incorrect. My zero for six probably matches up well with the soccer predictions by Statts.

If the Braves and the Red Sox play for the World Series, it will be interesting for the city of Boston. The Braves began their baseball history as the Boston Braves until they moved to Milwaukee in 1953. There are probably few still alive in Boston who will remember Sibby Sisti, Sam Jethro and Tommy Holmes. But, quite a few will remember Warren Spahn, Johnny Sain, Del Crandall and Casey Stengel. I am making no predictions.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 23, 2021, 9:56 pm

Astros vs ?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 24, 2021, 10:50 am

Astros vs Braves

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 24, 2021, 11:40 am

Of course I've not lived in the States for the past 15 years but I still haven't gotten used to the Astros being in the American league. I used to go to Astros games in mid 70's when living south of Houston and as a home-state fan of the St. Louis Cardinals, the 'Stros were National league division rivals for many years. I have the same sort of issue with the Seattle Seahawks, they were AFC western division conference rivals with my home-state KC Chiefs and I still think of them being an American Conference team rather than National.

No strong support for either the Braves or Astros. Have simply lost touch with Major League Baseball since moving to Thailand. Check the Missouri teams (Cardinals & Royals) occasionally during the season but no longer follow the game like I used to. Always enjoyed playing and watching baseball, at the higher levels game strategy is a very important component of winning.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 24, 2021, 11:48 am

Unfortunately the Red Sox fired all their shots in 2 games, and then completely ran out of bullets. :cry:

I'll be supporting the Braves against the arrogant, cheating Astros.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » October 24, 2021, 12:30 pm

That's fair jackspratt, I feel the same about the cheating, but the Braves have had their cheating scandals over the years also, just like pretty much every MLB team has, and it's been going on since the beginning of competition, and in every individual and team sport. The Boston Red Sox even got busted for stealing signs during their 2018 World Series championship season, admittedly not to the same extent. Even though I don't agree with it, Richard Petty pretty much summed it up in the sports world, "if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin".

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 24, 2021, 4:42 pm

Stigma schmigma... Go Astros!
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “World Sports”