EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

General sports news and discussions.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: EURO 2020/21 Tournament.

Post by tamada » July 12, 2021, 11:51 am

Brian Davis wrote:
July 12, 2021, 7:53 am
A pretty awful penalty shoot-out, with half the penalties missed. One would have thought that these supposed skilled, highly paid players could manage five quality kicks in a row, which gave the ‘keeper no chance to save. Not the case here.
Overall, I would be more disappointed if England had lost, whilst deserving to win. I certainly can’t say that. One team has to win, whilst a draw may have been the fairest result. Then again, with Italy’s near total dominance of the 2nd half with England seemingly having no idea what to do about it, perhaps Italy edged it?
With 33% possession and being out-shot 14-4, an England win would have been akin to each and every travesty they claim to have been a victim of for the past 55 years.

Anyway, I fully expect them to take succor from the lessons learned during this tournament and take their ATTACKING game to a whole new level for the World Cup. Forget the ITV curse, luck, knighthoods for nothing and the other distractions and deliver on convincing wins going forward rather than mawkishly dwelling on one hot summer afternoon in 1966.

Who knows, you may even beat Scotland.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 12, 2021, 12:03 pm

I see that YouTube has removed or blocked nearly all of the Video's of the Penalty shoot out

I found one, but it was a bit shaky and not so clear

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2021, 12:20 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 12, 2021, 12:03 pm
I see that YouTube has removed or blocked nearly all of the Video's of the Penalty shoot out

I found one, but it was a bit shaky and not so clear

pipoz4444
Rights issues. Blocked by UEFA and the other rich, fat bastards who don't know offside from throw-in. They usually stay alive on other people's tweets on Twitter longer but you don't want to sign up to that sh*t just to see the 'professionals' hitting the woodwork..

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 12, 2021, 12:56 pm

I’m just thankful England have already qualified for the final after this lack lustre performance.
Anyone know the date of the match, I can’t seem to find it on the tv schedule?
#football
#beautifulgame
#whereishome?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 12, 2021, 2:02 pm

dezzer111 wrote:
July 12, 2021, 5:24 am
tamada wrote:
July 12, 2021, 5:16 am
Well done to Roberto Mancini for only taking 3 years to pull the bodies from the wreckage of Italian national football.

Meanwhile in other news, it's been 55 years since the day when...
DIC**head you are a Jock that doesn't know f"*"* all.
Dezzer are u not Irish

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 12, 2021, 2:08 pm

Italy deserved it on the night. From the time the teams were announced, I had a bad feeling.

As someone in the pub said to me, "if Bielsa left Leeds tomorrow, who would you want as manager, Southgate or Mancini "? Only one answer to that as proved by decisions over the 120+ minutes.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 12, 2021, 2:19 pm

tamada wrote:
July 12, 2021, 11:51 am
With 33% possession and being out-shot 14-4, an England win would have been akin to each and every travesty they claim to have been a victim of for the past 55 years.
In spite of the 2nd half, I'm surprised at those stats, as through my eyes at least it appeared a closer, this way - that way contest (but, of course, I'm English!). One analysis I saw had it more like 60-40 possession, but your point taken. It has to be said that it's very fashionable these days to willingly concede possession and end up winning. Again, the shot totals seem out of sync with my impression of the teams actually threatening the goal. I'm not sure that off target shots hitting the corner flag, rear seats in the stand or the floodlights should count for anything at all. Statistics showing 1)on target 2)near misses might be more meaningful.

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » July 12, 2021, 3:16 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 12, 2021, 2:02 pm
dezzer111 wrote:
July 12, 2021, 5:24 am
tamada wrote:
July 12, 2021, 5:16 am
Well done to Roberto Mancini for only taking 3 years to pull the bodies from the wreckage of Italian national football.

Meanwhile in other news, it's been 55 years since the day when...
DIC**head you are a Jock that doesn't know f"*"* all.
Dezzer are u not Irish
I can still support what teams I like ,if Wales or Scotland where in the final I would be supporting them , yes Irish thank you.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2021, 4:05 pm

samster wrote:
July 12, 2021, 2:08 pm
Italy deserved it on the night. From the time the teams were announced, I had a bad feeling.

As someone in the pub said to me, "if Bielsa left Leeds tomorrow, who would you want as manager, Southgate or Mancini "? Only one answer to that as proved by decisions over the 120+ minutes.
Who would you have started and/or dropped for the game?

Any opinion on the subs used or not used?

I recall Southgate has played two possibly three formations throughout the competition. Was it the "right" one he picked against Italy?

The early goal is usually the great enabler although it didn't quite work for Denmark either. Reading a comment attributed to Southgate regarding subs and the risk of injuries or conceding a goal in ET suggests he had already committed to the penalty shoot out rather than forcing a winner in ET.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 12, 2021, 4:16 pm

Channel 7 in Oz pulling no puches.
Attachments
E6FCHrRVoAEaUH7.png
Watch Me!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2021, 6:04 pm

Is this the right time to mention that I did tip Italy to win BEFORE the tourny started :-"

The difference between the teams ..... ONE team was managed and the other wasn't

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 12, 2021, 6:45 pm

Yep great call Statto =D> =D> .. an almost drunkmonkeyesk prediction .

No sour grapes from.DM imo the best team.won on the day , some strange decisions by Mr Southgate ..so close to becoming Sir .. maybe next year after the Quatar world cup

Hang on Gareth may still become Sir after quote giving the nation some thing to smile about ..won nowt but smiled a bit !

Well done Italy

DM...
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » July 12, 2021, 7:24 pm

1626087988059.jpg

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 12, 2021, 8:45 pm

As I noted earlier the shoot out is a ridiculous cop out. The solution to the shoot out is to keep playing until one of the teams scores a goal.

For example it can be a daunting task, but it solves the issue in hockey: 'The longest such game in history came in 1936 between the Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Maroons. After three shutout periods, the two teams entered overtime. Five periods later, the score was still 0-0. After a whopping 116 minutes of overtime, Mud Bruneteau won the game for the Red Wings in the sixth extra period' - wiki
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 12, 2021, 9:03 pm

While I agree with you to some extent Uncle - do you recall what the live TV broadcast situation, and sponsor obligations, were in 1936? :D

ps - I'm definitely a big fan of the runner on second. 👍

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2021, 9:34 pm

Getting home at 02:00 for the fans would be a bit of a b*gger as well

I have actually been to a hockey match that finished at almost 02:00 am ......... Richmond Flyers vs Medway Bears (British League) ........ due to rink restraints the game had a "midnight" face off ...... I think the final score was 1 - 48 and it was played with a "running clock" ie the clock didn't stop every time the game did (would probably have scored another 20+ goals if clock stopped after every goal :lol: )
Last edited by stattointhailand on July 12, 2021, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 12, 2021, 9:39 pm

tamada wrote:
July 12, 2021, 4:05 pm

Who would you have started and/or dropped for the game?

Any opinion on the subs used or not used?
- Sancho should have started not Trippier (or Walker)
- Arguably Grealish for Mount
- 7 defensive minded players gives a boost to the opposition. They must have been delighted when they saw the teamsheet
- Saka should have been taken off. He was obviously overawed within minutes of appearing.
- Rashford should have been brought on earlier. His first kick shouldnt be a penalty
- Calvert Lewin should have been on the field at the end as a penalty taker

There must be a reason why Rice was subbed (fitness?) as he was, by far, the best player on the night for England. If not, that was a crazy choice.

Easy to be wise after the event but, all things I felt at the time.

Southgate is a media mans dream but, not a tactical genius. His subs were reactive not proactive. With that group of players, we should have won once France were out.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2021, 10:05 pm

"- Sancho should have started not Trippier (or Walker)"

I'll agree with that No Trippier means no early goal, Ities win in 90 mins 1 - 0 and I'd have got to sleep about an hour earlier

Talksport today said if England had attacked more in the second half they might have got caught out earlier and they may have given up one or two goals ........... I said SO !! England finished SECOND in a two horse race Pens/Extra time/90 mins .... dont matter they still F A I L E D to do what they were there to do. Might as well have lost "going all out" in attack and losing 5 - 4 (or perhaps winning 5 - 4 ) either way the public would be entertained ....... NOTE at one time during second half it flashed onto screen possession England 29% Italy 71%.
They learned sweet F A being beaten by Croatia 2018 as they did EXACTLY the same again ....... sit deeper and deeper and deeper until you conceed, and then try to recover a useless situation ........ The only person in the whole world who couldn't have predicted an Italian goal when it came was Southgate everyone else in the ground and on TV could see it coming for at least the previous 5 mins before they finally scored

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 12, 2021, 10:26 pm

Just looked at the Match Stats. Also noting what Stattointhailand, has indicated above

I know they are only general Stats, but it is difficult to win a game with only 34% Possession, unless of course that 34% is in your own Half, which then probably means the much of the Oppositions 66% Possession, was in his own Half? :-k :-k , assuming it is played in the two Halves.

Also reflected in the 19 Shots by Italy to the 6 Shots by England. Again, they are only numbers, but they both lean to one Side. Shots on Target is another one, with 6 by Italy to 2 buy England.

Looks like a totally different style of game, played by each Sides, on the day, but then again it is not my Sport.

https://www.google.com/search?q=england ... 0v;dt;fp;1;;

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on July 12, 2021, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 12, 2021, 10:27 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 12, 2021, 9:03 pm
While I agree with you to some extent Uncle - do you recall what the live TV broadcast situation, and sponsor obligations, were in 1936? :D

ps - I'm definitely a big fan of the runner on second. 👍
Stop liking that runner on second in baseball. It is a travesty. When we were kids and it was starting to get dark, we might try something like that to finish the game (owing to parental obligations), but professionals should keep the game going.

In 1936 there were no obligations. However, in this day of sponsor obligations, hockey playoffs must still reach a conclusion as was demonstrated in 2020. There is no shoot out in the playoffs as there is in the regular season.

'The 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs got off to an exciting start Tuesday as the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning played one of the longest games in NHL history. It took so long that another game had to be postponed.

'The Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning needed five overtimes to determine the winner of Game 1 of their Eastern Conference first-round series in Toronto. The game, which started at 3:09 p.m., lasted more than six hours, with the Lightning winning 3-2 on a goal by Brayden Point. It was Tampa's 88th shot of the game.
According to NHL.com, it was the fourth-longest game in league history.' - I can't believe that I am quoting CNN
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Return to “World Sports”