English Premier League 2019/20

General sports news and discussions.
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: English Premier League 2019/20

Post by BillaRickaDickay » May 1, 2020, 10:12 pm

Listening to the radio earlier today, Someone made a suggestion :-

Play all remaining fixtures with Penalty Shootouts, Behind Closed Doors, Fully Televised, 10 penalties per team, A two week festival, social distancing maintained, Player Fitness not an issue, Fans can watch on TV.

Sounded like a good idea to me, but what do I know.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 1, 2020, 10:52 pm

playing behind closed doors is not a fair way to sort out relegation.

Watford and Norwich may have played at a certain away ground infront of a large hostile crowd and West Ham and Villa get to play the same fixtures in what is virtually a "neutral" ground if there are no fans

either play none or all 38 games behind closed doors otherwise its not fair

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 1, 2020, 11:37 pm

Premier League statement on Project Restart

No decisions were made today, although clubs reaffirmed their commitment to finish the current Premier League season.

A statement reads:

At a meeting of Premier League Shareholders today, clubs discussed possible steps towards planning to resume the 2019/20 season, when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

It was reiterated that the thoughts of all are with those directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Furthermore, the Premier League’s priority is the health and safety of players, coaches, managers, club staff, supporters and the wider community.

The League and clubs are considering the first tentative moves forward and will only return to training and playing with Government guidance, under expert medical advice and after consultation with players and managers.

The League welcomed the creation of the Government medical working group for a return of elite sport, which met for the first time this morning.

No decisions were taken at today’s Shareholders’ meeting and clubs exchanged views on the information provided regarding "Project Restart".

It was agreed that the PFA, LMA, players and managers are key to this process and will be further consulted.

The clubs reconfirmed their commitment to finishing the 2019/20 season, maintaining integrity of the competition and welcomed the Government’s support.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 2, 2020, 7:02 am

What do the Sun know that we don’t? In reality it shouldn’t make much difference for the Hammers if games are played behind closed doors, all the West Ham supporters I know (lots) say the London Stadium doesn’t have the feel of a home ground anyway, you’re too far away from the pitch and it just doesn’t have the right atmosphere, things haven’t been right since we left the Boleyn, Upton Park but I’ve never been to the London Stadium myself so I can’t really comment first hand. When the season restarts I think West Ham will survive, they’ve had a chance to work off the excess Christmas Pud and despite what a lot of people think, they do have some cracking players and I think/hope they’ll scrape it.
Attachments
0F12C64D-BF84-44AE-9829-8F50887796EE.jpeg
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 2, 2020, 7:49 am

I like your optimism Vince ..its very tight at the bottom and i hope West Ham survive but i dont share this optimism sorry David Moyes doesnt inspire me with confidence , he aint no Sam Aladyce the master of survival.

I agree with Stts on this the season should be cancelled as in France and Netherlands .. its football only a game not really that important when you compare it to whats happening around the world at the moment.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 2, 2020, 2:01 pm

The positive effect that football and sport in general cant be ignored. Playing and televising the games would have massive benefits for the morale and wellbeing of the nation....... there are only so many times you can watch repeats of Dads Army!

I think they will try to finish EPL games and finish the FL with promotion/relegation decided on sporting merit.

The main problem that I envisage is, if WHU, for example find themselves in danger of relegation, they might "invent" or manipulate a Covid outbreak of their own to ensure the season finishes.

It's great being a LUFC supporter atm. For the first time ever we can take the moral high ground on everything!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 2, 2020, 2:07 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 2, 2020, 7:49 am
I like your optimism Vince ..its very tight at the bottom and i hope West Ham survive but i dont share this optimism sorry David Moyes doesnt inspire me with confidence , he aint no Sam Aladyce the master of survival.

I agree with Stts on this the season should be cancelled as in France and Netherlands .. its football only a game not really that important when you compare it to whats happening around the world at the moment.

DM
You’re just anti Scottish Jon I can tell, but, given a choice I’d rather have big Sam or ‘arry to get us through this season, Moyes ain’t my cuppa tea either.
Last edited by vincemunday on May 2, 2020, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2020, 2:57 pm

Problem is they cant just play Prem matches behind closed doors. If they do not completely "void" the season they will have to play Championship L1 L2 & Nat Lge matches as well behind closed doors which could well financially cripple clubs that rely on the "gate receipts" to survive (all the outgoings but no income)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 2, 2020, 3:11 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 2, 2020, 2:57 pm
Problem is they cant just play Prem matches behind closed doors. If they do not completely "void" the season they will have to play Championship L1 L2 & Nat Lge matches as well behind closed doors which could well financially cripple clubs that rely on the "gate receipts" to survive (all the outgoings but no income)
Something we agree on Statts .. :shock: ... stop the dither and cancel the season NOW .. all this closed doors is crap , is not that important .. forget this season and get ready to start the next season as and when it can be with spectators.

Agree many small clubs like Grimsby and Everton simply wont be able to afford to play behind closed doors.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2020, 3:43 pm

Not sure why, but there now seems to be bloomin' great queue thats wants to buy Newcastle

Perhaps we can get one to buy Scunny and elevate them to the top tier alongside Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Chelski, Newcastle, Wolves & Sheff Utd

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 2, 2020, 4:18 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 2, 2020, 2:57 pm
Why do you say that Stats?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 2, 2020, 6:39 pm

95525946_926649824439603_3811594642667864064_n.jpg

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 2, 2020, 6:45 pm

95666455_1362434627290333_6469101929036251136_n.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2020, 7:19 pm

Basically based on the dozens and dozens of reports that have been broadcast over the last month or so.
Loads of players/managers/journo's have given their "expert" thoughts which although they are interesting they are just the thoughts of "football people", whereas once in a while one of the channels gets in someone involved with the legality of the ideas. I've listened to about 4 or 5 video's/podcasts where they discuss what they can do rather than what they would like to do. If you remember 3 or 4 weeks ago when they were all saying they would just extend all the contracts until the end of July I posted that it was against English Law and they couldnt do it, now surprise surprise they have realised they cant do it. One of the lawyers said a week or so ago that they needed the govt to provide a date, before the football authorities could "void" the season. The 20 clubs have agreed to the rules (38 games before 30 June) so if coronavirus stops that happening its a valid case against paying compensation to any clubs who lose out. Govt will announce on 7th that no games before 15 Jun ?? and next day Prem and ERL will announce not enough time and everything "void"
I suspect they will announce a big "pre season" torny to be played behind closed doors from early July where teams can use lots of their players and not rely 100% on their first team squad being virus free. It will also give TV cos some practice and fans something to watch without millions of pounds being at stake on the outcome

fogeyes
udonmap.com

Post by fogeyes » May 2, 2020, 7:55 pm

The Spanish, Portugese and (likely)Italian governments have given the green light to recommence their leagues

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 2, 2020, 8:39 pm

I've removed some posts. Let's try to stay civil, shall we? No comments about other UM members' families, please.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2020, 8:45 pm

US prog with Italian (Gab) & French (Jules) jouros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIOC_DQSBME

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 2, 2020, 8:55 pm

Thanks for clarifying Statts.

I still think there are ways round the contract issues if they are of a mind to sort it. I've been involved in a few legal/football scenarios in the past and, if there's a will, they can sort it. Not sure if they need or want to do it lower down the leagues.

I thought you were saying that they couldn't just play EPL without the lower leagues which I dont believe is an issue.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2020, 9:02 pm

Watched a prog a couple of days ago that raised several points, needing to play all leagues being one of them. Remember thiking sh*t I hadnt thought of that when he explained the reason. It was a long interview and I cant remember who it was, but if I remember I'll post it here

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 2, 2020, 9:25 pm

Anyway I hope everyone agrees that it is only fair that the season isnt voided. Liverpool & Leeds were certs to win their league/gain promotion so, this shouldn't be in question.

We can replace NCFC who were as good as down

Return to “World Sports”