World Cup

General sports news and discussions.
dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: World Cup

Post by dunroaming » June 16, 2019, 7:48 pm

Half the time watching rain pouring down is more interesting than the cricket anyway

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 16, 2019, 8:34 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 16, 2019, 7:48 pm
Half the time watching rain pouring down is more interesting than the cricket anyway
Didn't realize you were Scottish :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 16, 2019, 8:46 pm

Any resumption will not be in Pakistan’s favour.
Not knowing the climate in the north other than it’s the reason why some people leave. I doubt they will get a full game in.
So my story in between rain breaks.
Flew into Manchester one gloomy day on a business trip way back in the early part of the century. Told the hire car mob I was heading to the Bradford cotton mills. That’s what mum said it was famous for. He looked at me like I was from Australia. No map in his little office so a sketch on a lunch bag did the trick. Take the A? Then A? Then turn right after you pass over the highest peat swamp in the world. No worries. So was in Manchester for about 5 minutes. But Bradford for a week. Under recommendation I never got to see the town itself.
Back on post
Pakistan can do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 16, 2019, 8:51 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 16, 2019, 8:34 pm
dunroaming wrote:
June 16, 2019, 7:48 pm
Didn't realize you were Scottish :lol:
National sport where I come from that and baby sitting sheep, expect that's because not much Catholics up my way lol

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 16, 2019, 9:08 pm

Spent many a happy Friday evening in either Manchester (Beer House) or Salford (Crescent). Early finish Friday, hop on train from Euston to Manchester Victoria, few hours suppin' and then back down to London before the underground stopped running ..... well that was the theory, but quite often ended up on night bus back to deepest Essex :-$

Back to the cricket .... India finished 50 overs with 336 - 5 ..... might be tight :-k

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 16, 2019, 9:52 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
June 16, 2019, 11:38 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 16, 2019, 9:20 am
Canada downed New Zealand 2-0 in World Cup play (women's soccer) so they will advance to the final 18.
Wrong world cup; wrong thread! DO try to pay attention! :oops: :oops: [-X [-X
The thread title is World Cup, it does not specify which of the three which are running currently that it is. Thus, blending them (the World Cups) all together should be cricket.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 17, 2019, 10:19 am

India won by 89 runs useing the famous DLS method. The revised target after another rain break was 136 off 30 balls !! Even if you had Chris Gayle and Jos Buttler at the crease you would have no chance of making that.

Barney, old son, what on earth were you doing spending a week in Bradford? Did you have a Pakistani girlfriend from Date in Asia and went to stay in her apartment with the other 20 members of her family ?
One day in Bradford was more than enough for me although not too far away is Haworth home of the Bronte sisters which is well worth a visit.

Manchester has a decent nightlife with many good pubs and restaurants. Out of town is the Trafford Centre for shopping, eating and watching a movie. Rusholme has the famous curry mile packed end to end with Indian restaurants.... heaven.
In town is Canal Street where someone broke off the C to make it Anal street !That should tell you it's the gay area and could be of interest to those who are into ladyboys in Soi Sampan !
I was last in Manchester 12 years ago for 3 months... mid April to mid July. When I arrived it was hot and sunny, about 85f,and I thought this would be good. But after 4 days it rained and rained every day till I left 12 weeks later !
If you want to date a local Manchester girl try one from Poland... some were quite fit as I remember ! :D
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 17, 2019, 1:14 pm

What about Minshull Street at the end of Canal Street Zid? I had a Client on there who used to show me their car park videos showing the working girls at play.....might have seen you in action!!

By the way Barney, cotton mills are Manchester (and Lancashire). Bradford (and Yorkshire) is woollen mills. We Yorkshire folk are pedants and love anything associated with sheep.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 17, 2019, 2:48 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 16, 2019, 9:52 pm
mathusalah80 wrote:
June 16, 2019, 11:38 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
June 16, 2019, 9:20 am
Canada downed New Zealand 2-0 in World Cup play (women's soccer) so they will advance to the final 18.
Wrong world cup; wrong thread! DO try to pay attention! :oops: :oops: [-X [-X
The thread title is World Cup, it does not specify which of the three which are running currently that it is. Thus, blending them (the World Cups) all together should be cricket.
Apologies, but this latest post of yours makes no sense; not unusual for you when you venture outside the topic of ice hockey! :-s :lol: \:D/ .
Before your Womens Football, (not Soccer!) related post, EIGHTY SIX POSTS appeared on this thread, including the initial post, ALL referring to the CRICKET World cup. So I repeat "DO try to pay attention!" :razz: :razz: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 17, 2019, 3:39 pm

Zidane wrote:
June 17, 2019, 10:19 am
India won by 89 runs using the famous DLS method. The revised target after another rain break was 136 off 30 balls !! Even if you had Chris Gayle and Jos Buttler at the crease you would have no chance of making that.
Aah yes; but would you hold the same opinion, had I available any combination of Worral, Weeks, Walcott,
Botham, and Adam Gilchrist? If my calculations are correct, the above translates to a mere 4.53 runs per over; I suggest well within the compass of these past era batsmen. Would achieving such a target, in this era of baseball cricket, really be so remarkable?

PS. What is 'the famous DLS method' please? :-s :-s

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

Mmm my mum was never wrong, and I can’t question her expertise being a professional seamstresses, as to no cotton mills in Bradford.
I think it was said 136 off 30 balls not overs. That’s 5 overs if the info was correct.
Top of the table is heating up and likely to be a 6 horse race but the cream should rise to the top for the last 4.
Windies to win today batting first.
Would be a shame tomorrow for the 2 teams to only pull a point out of the game if the Statts gloomy report on the local weather comes true. England will be hoping for a clear patch.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 17, 2019, 4:59 pm

Yes, 136 runs required off 30 balls is correct which equates to 27.2 runs per over.... hence my reference to Gayle and Buttler.
DLS refers to the Duckworth-Lewis method which is used to calculate runs required/overs left in rain affected matches.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Barney wrote:
June 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

I think it was said 136 off 30 balls not overs. That’s 5 overs if the info was correct.
Absolutely correct Barney; I stand corrected. [-X I Suppose it's no good pretending it was a deliberate mistake, to check whether our Canadian friend was now paying attention? :oops: :^o So my revised calculations, put forward with some trepidation,after my last effort, shows the strike rate requirement was 4.53 PER BALL.
Thus, the weather, combined with rules which are urgently in need of revising, turned the match into a farce. :(

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 17, 2019, 6:15 pm

"Thus, the weather, combined with rules which are urgently in need of revising, turned the match into a farce. :("

Or more to the point the Pakistan batting prior to the rain intervention (they were already at the hopeless task situation) turned the match into a farce ....... DL just highlighted the ridiculous position they had got themselves into :-k

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 17, 2019, 6:22 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
June 17, 2019, 2:48 pm
.Apologies, but this latest post of yours makes no sense; not unusual for you when you venture outside the topic of ice hockey! :-s :lol: \:D/ .Before your Womens Football, (not Soccer!) related post, EIGHTY SIX POSTS appeared on this thread, including the initial post, ALL referring to the CRICKET World cup. So I repeat "DO try to pay attention!" :razz: :razz: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/
Thanks. You make a valid point. By the way, I am better versed in baseball and Canadian football than ice-hockey although I do still have a fondness for the Trail Smoke Eaters who were the last Canadian amateur hockey team to win the World Championship.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 18, 2019, 1:32 pm

West Indies 321-8 Bangladesh 322-3
Surprisingly easy for Bangladesh who still have an outside chance of making the semi finals.
The West Indies now have no room to manoeuvre and must win all their remaining matches.... a disappointing campaign for them so far.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 18, 2019, 8:35 pm

England taking on "The Hounds" at Old Trafford Manchester ...... and it's NOT raining :shock:

England with Roy out injured and Jos Buttler scoring a miserable 2 runs in 2 balls only managed a score of 397 -6 thanks to captain Morgan hitting a new world record 17 x 6's (102) in his innings of 148 off 71 balls (beating Chris Gayles previous record of 16 x 6's)

Afghanistan have only scored more than 200 once in the competition so far ..... against the Aussies :-"

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 19, 2019, 1:34 am

Careful. You might be tempting the cricket gods to give the Aussies the last laugh. It's winter out my way so I'm about to have a cup of tea.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

World Cup

Post by Barney » June 19, 2019, 12:48 pm

Credit where credit is due.
England set new records in bashing up the school yard weakling.
Terrific effort.
Afghanistan will have trouble psyching up from here on in. Wasn’t long ago there were 8 teams rated. Bangladesh made 9 and somehow Afghanistan had a good run and made it 10. They only have a few very good players worthy of works stage recognition. But we do live in a world where everyone gets a prize.
NZ should prevail today. They have been very passive in the walk through the tournament so far. Today will test them with SA surely fired up and due a decent performance.
Seems strange and almost a question mark as to why the Indians have not had the same games as others in the draw. They have been 1 game behind all the others and will be for another couple of weeks. Allows a team to move into a game knowing exactly what they must achieve in stats compared to others and move up the ladder. I suppose it’s not the only conspiracy theory in the world.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

"Seems strange and almost a question mark as to why the Indians have not had the same games as others in the draw. They have been 1 game behind all the others and will be for another couple of weeks. Allows a team to move into a game knowing exactly what they must achieve in stats compared to others and move up the ladder. I suppose it’s not the only conspiracy theory in the world."

That's called the ICC being "nice" to the HOME fans =;

BTW I thought that the England performance was governed to a great degree by the Bad Feeling shown to the US Womens Football team after they humiliated the Thai womens team [-X [-X [-X . Scoring less than 400 (when the press had been saying 500+ was possible) and then letting the Afghans complete their 50 overs left the Afghani's well beaten, but certainly NOT HUMILIATED ....... Didn't see Morgan counting his sixes on his fingers in front of the cameras either to his credit =;

Return to “World Sports”