Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

General sports news and discussions.
samster
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2018/19

Post by samster » May 2, 2019, 9:09 pm

Grass Roots = Champions League apparently.

In retrospect, I hope Leeds don't go up. Couldn't stand to be subjected to the "Premier League thread" scouse "banter" on a daily basis

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » May 2, 2019, 9:32 pm

747man wrote:
May 2, 2019, 11:48 am
37516443_10216660034232179_3744689076649852928_n.jpg58831695_10219467452255978_2816507168939835392_n.jpg
can you not leave anything alone????not only do you you wreck the prem thread,you jump over here and try poison this with your stupid inane posts,leave this thread alone for the grass roots lads,its not rocket science theres a clue in the title??????'''shakes head '' :roll:

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » May 2, 2019, 10:42 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
May 2, 2019, 9:32 pm
747man wrote:
37516443_10216660034232179_3744689076649852928_n.jpg58831695_10219467452255978_2816507168939835392_n.jpg
can you not leave anything alone????not only do you you wreck the prem thread,you jump over here and try poison this with your stupid inane posts,leave this thread alone for the grass roots lads,its not rocket science theres a clue in the title??????'''shakes head '' :roll:
Why won't you listen 747 do yourself a favour shhhhhhhh.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » May 3, 2019, 9:08 am

As the league programme in the EFL comes to a close this weekend maybe we should all be grateful that Everton werent relegated after all :badteeth:
Congratulations to both Norwich and Sheffield United on gaining promotion to the Premiership.
Norwich are an exciting young side.If they sign one or two experienced old heads they should be OK.
Sheffield United have surprised me lasting the course.Well done to their manager,Chris Wilder,who has achieved promotion from every side he has managed from the Conference upwards.
Leeds had a blip at just the wrong time but still have a good chance of making it via the play offs.I see in form,Aston Villa,as being the main threat to their hopes.
Congratulations,also,to Luton and Barnsley already promoted from League 1 and Lincoln and Bury who have gone up from League 2.
But spare a thought for fans of two of our sides who go into the last match for a different reason.
In League 1 next to bottom Scunthorpe travel to Plymouth knowing only a win could save them...Plymouth,too,are in the bottom 4 and need the points.
When Sol Campbell was appointed manager of Macclesfield in late November they were 8 points adrift of safety.Now they go into their final game against Cambridge two points clear of the drop and knowing a draw will be good enough to keep them up.
However,the players have not received their wages for April yet which could open the door for Notts County to escape.
In Scotland Peterhead look all but assured of the League 2 title but in the Highland League goal difference and points deductions mean that Fort William have come up short....a goal difference of -150 would be a big improvement next season !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 3, 2019, 11:46 am

dezzer111 wrote:
May 2, 2019, 10:42 pm
TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
May 2, 2019, 9:32 pm
747man wrote:
Why won't you listen 747 do yourself a favour shhhhhhhh.
555 !! Only Just over a Week to go Dezz......Maybe we'll see you two in August..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2019, 2:36 am

Peterhead beat Queens Park while Clyde lost to Cowdenbeath so Peterhead win League 2 by 5 points and go up.

Result!

Clyde will go into a play-off with Edinburgh.

There was some debate about Clyde being docked 4 points earlier in the season under the 'ineligible player' ruling. They thought the judgement was too harsh compared to what other teams suffered for the same infraction. So for the 'Blue toon' to win by 5 points makes the the 'Bully Wee's' whining a moot point.

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » May 6, 2019, 8:36 am

Championship playoffs confirmed.
1st leg next weekend.
Derby vs Leeds United
Aston Villa vs WBA

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » May 6, 2019, 5:05 pm

samster wrote:
April 21, 2019, 11:14 am
Thanks for the reasoned debate 747.

Just watched last night's MOTD. Last 2 games were Hudds v Watford and Bournemouth v Fulham. Nothing at stake and, all plastic clubs. Substitute Leeds for any of those teams and, you would get more interest, substitute Norwich or Sheff U and, it would make no difference.
Why?
What is is with you and plastic clubs or fans?
Huddersfield won multiple league titles long before Leed's knew what a first division title meant.
Are Preston North End, Bolton Wanderers, Notts County et al (now relegated out of the EFL) plastic clubs too? Although they have proud and fantastic histories.
Why is Fulham a plastic club?
Along with Crystal Palace, around 25k is a full gate with a fantastic atmosphere.
So Bournemouth are plastic because?
They are successful at the moment?
They were minnows for decades?
Their ground holds less than 15k?
Don't you think your comments are insulting to the above fans who pay their hard earned every week to support their local club?
By the way just got back from a month's hols with my son in the UK.
Funnily enough, we were driving past Elland Rd half an hour into the Villa match, visiting Rellies in Armley.
According to them, most of Leeds could'nt give two flying F##ks what Leeds United do, as most of LUFC's fans are already in the Stadium. The rest of the city is just mad on Rugbly League and the Rhinos, and considers football a gay sport, played out by bad actors or superb thespians in the case of Bamford. Shoulda got an Oscar instead of a 2 match ban.
Shame.
You reap what you sow.
Another end of season implosion.
Another collapse.
Did'nt similar happen with Monk a couple of seasons ago?
I quite like Bielsa, not winning in 4, if they beat Derby, and that's a big IF, i can't see them beating the current form team AVFC in the final, unbeaten in 13, till er, the last game against that yellow/green plastic club.
Have a nice day...

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » May 6, 2019, 5:11 pm

OTBC!
FarkeLife.
Wonderful football played.
Great club, great owners, wonderful, humble staff & players.
Well done!
2nd division Champions 2019. 2004. 1986. 1972.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Cant be arsed to answer nonsense.

As I said before Sheff U and Norwich deserve to go up but, unless you support a team like Leeds, Newcastle or Liverpool you really don't get it.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2019, 8:22 pm

samster wrote:
May 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

As I said before Sheff U and Norwich deserve to go up but, unless you support a team like Leeds, Newcastle or Liverpool you really don't get it.

Funny you should mention that ......... coz ive supported a club like Newcastle for 60 years now and I sure as hell don't get it :-k

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » May 6, 2019, 8:39 pm

samster wrote:
May 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Excellent.
'cos i don't get it either.
Even though LUFC bottled their last 4 games, inc losing to Ipswich who had only won 4 of their previous 45 games, they should really be in the Premier league, because they are not a plastic club.
They are a "big" club. As are previous big clubs like Blackpool, PNE and Bolton Wanderers etc.
And Sheffield United and Norwich should stay Championship clubs because they are plastic. As are Bournemouth, Fulham etc.
Thanx for your explanation.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2019, 9:48 pm

BREAKING: Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas released from hospital five days after suffering heart attack.GOOD News !!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 7, 2019, 5:41 pm

Ok I have 5 mins. I love a reasoned debate, which is one of the purposes of a forum so, let’s go.

Incidentally Statto, if you are really a Newcastle fan and you don’t “get it” then you are the only person on Tyneside who doesn’t.

Read my posts again if you can be bothered and, preferably, without prejudice or a chip on your shoulder. My beef is not with NCFC, Bournemouth or any club per se but simply a sadness that football has lost its edge and is too happy clappy and corporate.

I have followed Leeds up and down the UK and in Europe since the 60s and used to revel in the tribal atmosphere (not necessarily hooliganism before you say it) at places like Maine Road, Stamford Bridge and Upton Park. Now, unless you visit grounds such as St James, Anfield or Elland Road you have a different atmosphere generated by fair weather fans who don’t give a damn about their clubs.

I was semi tongue in cheek at first but, the very epitome of what I hate is that bland music played after a goal to generate an atmosphere or the clappy things they give out at Fulham, Leicester etc.

Of course Bournemouth, Watford etc deserve their place in the EPL on the basis of football and corporate management but, ask a true football fan if they would prefer to watch, with respect, Norwich v Burnley or Leeds v anyone, they would choose the latter.

In my very humble opinion, a “proper” football club:-

- instils emotion in real football fans (hatred or love)

- has supporters who follow the club in volume and numbers through thick and thin

- doesn’t need to resort to artificial means to create an atmosphere!!

Just to reiterate, congratulations to NCFC and SUFC, you deserved promotion.

BTW, for what it’s worth, we didn’t bottle it. We have been punching above our weight with a mediocre team inspired by a legendary manager who will have achieved a miracle if we go up through the play offs

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 7, 2019, 7:29 pm

Whilst I can see where you re coming from with your argument, and in a large part I agree, I think it is probably you and I (and others of our generation) that are out of step with the way sports "entertainment" is now provided. Unfortunately todays paying public are not happy to be entertained by footballers alone, but need to have cheer leaders or so called superstars from other sports to entertain them as well (who the hell was that wrestler at Wolves ? I'd never heard of him). I really got wound up by the 30 min "show" that Vegas Golden Knights put on before every game in the Stanley Cup Ice Hockey finals last year ... had b*gger all to do with Stanley Cup but all the septic commentators kept nearly wetting themselves about it ...... no idea why =;
Started going downhill many years ago when it was "deemed necessary" for nearly all clubs to have some idiot with a mike on the pitch at half time playing stupid games with so called fans instead of them getting a cuppa & pie and talking to each other. Another thing that p*sses me off no end is players coming out 5 mins early and then shaking each others hands ..... err WHY? I want my players ready to kill the opposition not bl**dy kiss 'em :evil:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 9:36 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 7, 2019, 7:29 pm
Whilst I can see where you re coming from with your argument, and in a large part I agree, I think it is probably you and I (and others of our generation) that are out of step with the way sports "entertainment" is now provided. Unfortunately todays paying public are not happy to be entertained by footballers alone, but need to have cheer leaders or so called superstars from other sports to entertain them as well (who the hell was that wrestler at Wolves ? I'd never heard of him). I really got wound up by the 30 min "show" that Vegas Golden Knights put on before every game in the Stanley Cup Ice Hockey finals last year ... had b*gger all to do with Stanley Cup but all the septic commentators kept nearly wetting themselves about it ...... no idea why =;
Started going downhill many years ago when it was "deemed necessary" for nearly all clubs to have some idiot with a mike on the pitch at half time playing stupid games with so called fans instead of them getting a cuppa & pie and talking to each other. Another thing that p*sses me off no end is players coming out 5 mins early and then shaking each others hands ..... err WHY? I want my players ready to kill the opposition not bl**dy kiss 'em :evil:
They buggered any chance of that pre kick-off 'face-off' with the ritual walking out hand-in-hand with kids. All noble intent and globally hundreds of thousands of kids facing all sorts of social, economic and physical challenges have happy memories of a stunningly fun Saturday afternoon out. I am NOT denigrating the cause. But it's become all part of the furniture along with half-time emcee's, happy clappers and swooshy sounds. The message is getting lost. If you don't have a billion pound stadium, a players roster with a payroll that equates to the GDP of a small country and obscenely rich owners, what else can these also-ran teams do to get their 'fairweather fans' down to the stadium at least once a month? Whilst us old colonials enjoy the increasing opportunities to see our favorite 'also rans' live in HDTV (in the small hours of the morning!), it also allows the stay-at-home domestic fan who can have a pie and a yarn at any time throughout the game while it's on the telly down the pub.

Then there's Fort William...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 7, 2019, 10:10 pm

"Then there's Fort William..."

err , let's not go there :lol:

Pre game & half time ritual bagging of the deer poo by the fan

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » May 9, 2019, 4:37 pm

samster wrote:
May 7, 2019, 5:41 pm
Ok I have 5 mins. I love a reasoned debate, which is one of the purposes of a forum so, let’s go.

Incidentally Statto, if you are really a Newcastle fan and you don’t “get it” then you are the only person on Tyneside who doesn’t.

Read my posts again if you can be bothered and, preferably, without prejudice or a chip on your shoulder. My beef is not with NCFC, Bournemouth or any club per se but simply a sadness that football has lost its edge and is too happy clappy and corporate.

I have followed Leeds up and down the UK and in Europe since the 60s and used to revel in the tribal atmosphere (not necessarily hooliganism before you say it) at places like Maine Road, Stamford Bridge and Upton Park. Now, unless you visit grounds such as St James, Anfield or Elland Road you have a different atmosphere generated by fair weather fans who don’t give a damn about their clubs.

I was semi tongue in cheek at first but, the very epitome of what I hate is that bland music played after a goal to generate an atmosphere or the clappy things they give out at Fulham, Leicester etc.

Of course Bournemouth, Watford etc deserve their place in the EPL on the basis of football and corporate management but, ask a true football fan if they would prefer to watch, with respect, Norwich v Burnley or Leeds v anyone, they would choose the latter.

In my very humble opinion, a “proper” football club:-

- instils emotion in real football fans (hatred or love)

- has supporters who follow the club in volume and numbers through thick and thin

- doesn’t need to resort to artificial means to create an atmosphere!!

Just to reiterate, congratulations to NCFC and SUFC, you deserved promotion.

BTW, for what it’s worth, we didn’t bottle it. We have been punching above our weight with a mediocre team inspired by a legendary manager who will have achieved a miracle if we go up through the play offs
Thank you for your reasoned response.
I don't neccessarily agree with it all, but at least it was polite and informative.
Have a nice day.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 11, 2019, 3:16 pm

Just waiting on some details of Breaking news from Lincolnshire as THE FOOTBALLING WORLD WAITS FOR THE CONFIRMATION THAT ONE OF THE BIGGEST JOBS IN GLOBAL FOOTBALL HAS BEEN FILLED.

Paul Hurst former Ipwich Town and Shrewsbury boss is gonna be the next Scunny gaffa ..

also ...

Very interesting play off final today .. WINNER TO GO INTO L2 EFL .

SALFORD CITY FC v FC FYLDE playing at WEMBERLEE ..

a few years back both clubs set out what seemed like rather optimistic promotion plans n timescale to achieve such BUT both have reached this stage sooner than their initial plans and today one of them will succeed in entering the EFL.

Adding more spice Salford are co onwed by the Manu U guys Ryan Giggs , the Nevilles Phil N Gary , Nicky Butt , Paul Scholes and more recently David Beckham joined the party.

Anyone know where can watch the game LIVE ?? as in on the telly or PC obviously not Wemberlee .

FWIW ..DM is totally inpartial but suppose it would be nice to have all those famous chaps and MY FAVOURITE Scunny manager Graham Alexander coming to Glandford Park next season ..SO Salford it is then .

DM..UP THE IRON
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » May 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

1st leg of the Championship today.
18:30 - Aston Villa vs WBA
My prediction: 2 - 0 Villa.
23:15 - Derby vs Leeds United.
My prediction 1 - 0 Leeds.
🙈🙉🙊

Return to “World Sports”